Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Nov 2014, 19:49 (Ref:3472889)   #101
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Caterham just need to pay the administrators, get cars on the grid, start the race and will get 10th in the constructors with no more Marussia. The prize money is something like $11million. The amazing thing is that of me writing this, they have £317,000+ from 720 donors in about 1 day while Brabham has £245,000 from 2580 donors in over a month.
Exactly, with Brabham and Perrinn fans are helping to fund a dream, get more cars on the grid, and give folks jobs in motorsport hopefully, the Caterham plan is just a scheme to get the creditors their money back while the employees remain unpaid.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 21:28 (Ref:3472907)   #102
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The power of F1, and their influence on media makes the difference. Big TV stations will likely flood it as well on their broadcasts. The people who have heard (/care) of Prabham & Perrinn & whatever projects are in obscure minority to those who now know of this, even in one day's time...
Pretty much this. Not much point pontificating about which cause is more noble because all that matters is the numbers. F1 has the exposure that all other motorsport (bar NASCAR?) don't.

Actually no scrap that nonsense - it's clearly the swag that's swinging the money towards Caterham ('s creditors). If only Brabham had thought of making branded lanyards...

Oh, and the update: over £500,000 from ~1500 donors.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 21:29 (Ref:3472908)   #103
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The power of F1, and their influence on media makes the difference. Big TV stations will likely flood it as well on their broadcasts. The people who have heard (/care) of Prabham & Perrinn & whatever projects are in obscure minority to those who now know of this, even in one day's time...
Pretty much this. Not much point pontificating about which cause is more noble because all that matters is the numbers. F1 has the exposure that all other motorsport (bar NASCAR?) don't.

Actually no scrap that nonsense - it's clearly the swag that's swinging the money towards Caterham ('s creditors). If only Brabham had thought of offering branded lanyards...

Oh, and the update: over £500,000 from ~1500 donors.
Old 9 Nov 2014, 00:24 (Ref:3472965)   #104
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I honestly don't know who would fund or be particularly aware of Caterham - F1 or not. There's more likely to be a surge if Marussia had tried that, given Bianchi, yeah, but who cares about Caterham bar F1 nerds? Maybe Fernandes got a bout of bad conscience or something. Ploughed a bit of cash in. Maybe there's a legion of nostalgic Malaysian F1 fans that remember the Caterham that was ran by one of their own. I dunno.
Old 9 Nov 2014, 00:28 (Ref:3472967)   #105
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If Caterham can start the last race and score a point, it would get what, $11 million in cash? I'd bet Caterham folks are calling everyone guaranteeing a good return on the investment
Old 9 Nov 2014, 00:31 (Ref:3472970)   #106
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
If Caterham can start the last race and score a point, it would get what, $11 million in cash? I'd bet Caterham folks are calling everyone guaranteeing a good return on the investment
All they need to do is arrive at free practice to get their annual windfall. I'm open to be corrected on that.
Old 9 Nov 2014, 00:33 (Ref:3472971)   #107
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Technically you can only score a single point if the race gets cancelled before reaching 75% distance, in which case you'd score half the points of the double points nonsense - ie 10th place worth of 2p becomes 1p as usual

Anyway I don't really care enough to know what's happening in that circus
Old 9 Nov 2014, 12:10 (Ref:3473127)   #108
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The #RefuelCaterhamF1 crowdfunding project has over £1m in pledges!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 9 Nov 2014, 12:39 (Ref:3473135)   #109
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So .... a week before the race they announce they didn't raise enough and disappear, splitting the money between themselves?
Old 9 Nov 2014, 12:44 (Ref:3473137)   #110
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Brabham one is right on the brink now - just a couple of grand away. I'm really interested to see what happens once they hit 100%.

An announcement? Or immediately resetting and asking for more? I hope Brabs has been doing some work behind the scenes as the project just won't get there on fan power alone.
Old 9 Nov 2014, 22:42 (Ref:3473276)   #111
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
First phase of £250,000 completed for Brabham in 47 days.

Just £7,750,000 to go...
Old 9 Nov 2014, 22:59 (Ref:3473279)   #112
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
There is no 'return' on that 'investment' - it is basically an asset sale. Fine if you fancy a piece of F1 merchandise but it is NOT giving anyone a real world stake in anything.
Old 11 Nov 2014, 17:12 (Ref:3473707)   #113
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was late to the party on this, but just donated. (went with name on the car option)

Ultimately I did so because I don't have any 'fan' investment in any LMP2 team, and it'll be nice to have someone to cheer for in the WEC. David always seemed to be a nice guy at ALMS fan sessions and I'd like to see this succeed.

I'm also just enough of a nerd about it but I think it's cool that even if I've never been to Le Mans, and even if the team doesn't do well, that I helped put a car there in some way, shape or form and that my name is on that car. I prefer to see the good in a venture like this. Could they just run away with the money? Sure, but that's not the vibe I get and not what I choose to believe.
Old 11 Nov 2014, 19:03 (Ref:3473735)   #114
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
I got a donator email last night which answered my question about where the next set of funds are coming from:

Quote:
Our next target is £500,000 – at which point we can start to assemble the back-office Brabham team and populate the Brabham-Digital platforms with content. Much of this money will be raised through private partnerships and sponsorship, but the closer to the target we can get at this stage the quicker we can get out on the track.
I'm guessing that this phase shouldn't take too long? There had to be some money and sponsorship prospects floating around for them to have set up the project in the first place.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 15:10 (Ref:3473954)   #115
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I got a donator email last night which answered my question about where the next set of funds are coming from:

I'm guessing that this phase shouldn't take too long? There had to be some money and sponsorship prospects floating around for them to have set up the project in the first place.
The first 250k was "proof of concept" if you will.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 12 Nov 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3474007)   #116
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Likely. I'm guessing there were a few parties that would only shell out if a certain dollar amount was achieved.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3486970)   #117
Stagger Lee
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stagger Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's been all quiet on the Brabham front for a little while. Anybody here know what's going on with them currently?
Old 21 Dec 2014, 20:45 (Ref:3486976)   #118
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's either this

or this

Old 25 Jan 2015, 14:10 (Ref:3496975)   #119
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Any news?
Old 25 Jan 2015, 14:16 (Ref:3496979)   #120
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Any news?
David Brabham says he is looking to give his ambitious Project Brabham venture its first track action during the latter stages of the 2015 World Endurance Championship season, but admits it is unlikely it will make it to this year's Le Mans 24 Hours as originally envisaged.
Old 25 Jan 2015, 20:25 (Ref:3497341)   #121
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone should of donated to Perrinn, his design P1 is ready to go, this lot will shell so much cash on fancy job salaries, and an lmp2 which won't be open to the public.
Old 25 Jan 2015, 21:10 (Ref:3497359)   #122
Deleted
Veteran

When they have this much problem launching even (rent chassis) cost cap LMP2 after getting through crowd funding phase and some of the sponsor backing, you really need to re-look at the original "possible Formula 1 team return" suggestions...

Old 26 Jan 2015, 20:39 (Ref:3497718)   #123
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post
Everyone should of donated to Perrinn, his design P1 is ready to go, this lot will shell so much cash on fancy job salaries, and an lmp2 which won't be open to the public.
As a fellow Yorkshireman I wanted to see that Perrin project happen too. But having a design ready to go, and actually putting an LMP1 on the grid, could not be further apart.

You'd probably be chucking money away regardless.
Old 26 Jan 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3497723)   #124
Deleted
Veteran

At least Perrin had some plan on paper before they asked for money. Brab's non-detailed LMP2 to LMP1 / F1 always sounded half way through thought
Old 26 Jan 2015, 21:21 (Ref:3497745)   #125
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
As a fellow Yorkshireman I wanted to see that Perrin project happen too. But having a design ready to go, and actually putting an LMP1 on the grid, could not be further apart.

You'd probably be chucking money away regardless.

I understand what you mean in a way, I see Nicolas regularly as his office is near my work. He couldn't be more switched on and would have that car on track if he had the 'name' like Brabham has.

I just feel Brabham has used the family name to take money with no real results or design. It'll be years before its ever open source, as an lmp2 company won't let their design be open to the public.