Right 61 82.43%
Wrong 13 17.57%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Mar 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1244693)   #1
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Action of Marshals @ the Aus GP

Forget what car and who was driving, do you think the marshals done the right thing?
Old 6 Mar 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1244705)   #2
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what did they do?
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1244711)   #3
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pushed the car out of the kitty litter while race was still running.
See F1 forum.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1244717)   #4
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im afraid i tend not to venture into other forums, having not watched the gp, is that not what we do remove cars/biked from gravel?
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1244731)   #5
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
There was /is some debate as to when and how it was done.
I thought maybe a bit iffy, But only going from how it looked on TV.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:28 (Ref:1244744)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IMO - (From what I could see on TV) the Marshals did an excellent job!
They waited for a relatively safe gap in the traffic and got Mr S on his way from a fairly dangerous position.
I also think that MS retired simply because he knew there wasn't any chance of him getting into the points.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1244774)   #7
Neil Warland
Rookie

England
Woking, Surrey
Neil Warland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No-one can make us run out there, even the great Mr S despite how much waving he's doing. If the marshals decided it was safe to go (which judging by the gap in the traffic it was), then they deserve praise for keeping the track clear and not calling for a safety car - something which happens far too regularly IMO.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1244795)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do we know if they waved back? I'd have been tempted...

As far as I could see from the limited coverage they got they did the job properly and efficiently. Can't ask more than that.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1244817)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm almost even tempted to add that it's possible that MS' waving was not a "Come & Push Me Right Now" but an indication that the car WAS "Pushable"
Old 6 Mar 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1244821)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Haven't seen it yet, but as one of the marshals was our own Doc Hollywood, I'm sure you can discuss it with him first hand when he gets back to Ireland and gets on the net.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1244864)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Oh and I forgot (cos he got his present before he left) but it's his birthday today.

Q. Soooo Jonathan, what did you get for your birthday?
A. Michael Schumacher

Old 6 Mar 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1244879)   #12
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Marshals push re-badged FIAT from gravel trap while 20 car grid is on 4.5mile circuit..... That's what we're there for I thought?
Old 6 Mar 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1244897)   #13
TheFlyingHaggis
Rookie

Scotland
Alloa Scotland
TheFlyingHaggis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you know we do this week in week out with no votes or polls,I mean pushing an F1 car on a live track holds the same risks as pushing lets say,TOURING CARS,F3,GTs e.c.t .As long as the Flags are out and it is safe to do so what is the problem after all is this not part of the reason[job]we do and love the sport.i say fare play to Schumi and Ferrari and just wish people would get off thier Back.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1245013)   #14
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
The debate was going to and fro on F1 forum just wondered what the people that do the job thought.
So far it's what I thought, but being quite new to circuits, thought I would ask.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 23:58 (Ref:1245099)   #15
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
It seemed to me that they took a few seconds to weigh up the risk - went about the plan quickly and efficiently - and worked as a team. End result was a man out of a dangerous spot as quickly as was possible and nobdy got hurt, Classic bit of fleet footed, think on your feet marshalling, well done chaps.

Go to any circuit world wide at any level of the sport and you'll see us doing fairly similar things, the only unusual thing about it was the TV coverage and commentators actually shot it in a way that highlighted how dodgy the profession can be sometimes.

Last edited by b1ackcr0w; 7 Mar 2005 at 00:01. Reason: wanted to add second paragraph
Old 7 Mar 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1245291)   #16
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever the rights or wrongs, wasn't it good to hear some public appreciation from the commentators for marshals' efforts?
Old 7 Mar 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1245298)   #17
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saw the incident, handled extremely well by the marshals. Text book marshalling IMO and carried out exactly the way we were trained to do. Well done

Watched it again this morning to see if it was indeed Mr. Hollywood and yes I do believe it is ! Anyway we'l know pretty soon after he arrives back and wont even have to ask
Old 7 Mar 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1245304)   #18
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be honest, any race with small grids needs as much help as possible keeping as many cars on the circuit as possible.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1245510)   #19
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought the marshals were commendable and professional.
However am very displeased with the arrogance of M Schumacher who is obviously above the rest of us and seems too lazy to get out of his car and to a place of safety, rather he wants to risk the lives of the marshals to push him so he can drive round back to the pits and retire. That is what was out of order! How about a sizeable donation from him to support marshals' training or a benevolent fund, etc or maybe even a party to say thank you - although I seriously doubt he would even consider such a thing!
Old 7 Mar 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1245589)   #20
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Erm, Clive it was far better for him to remain in the car as it enabled the situation to be resolved much more quickly than if he had left the scene.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 14:16 (Ref:1245625)   #21
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had quite a serious think about this. Originally I thought that he should have got out of the car and his race would be over. However then I thought...how often do we complain about drivers that get out of cars when we can push them out so they can continue in the race?! MS was right to stay in the car...however I was a bit annoyed with him waving at the marshals to get them to come over more quickly, they will go when it is safe for them, not when the drivers want them to.

Also it came over the radio to get a push...I think that ferarri wanted they're car back asap...they didn't want it sitting out on the track in close up view of anyone.

Last edited by chezza; 7 Mar 2005 at 14:19.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1245697)   #22
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Can anyone tell me what happened to the other car?

I only saw the red car being moved...............

Old 7 Mar 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1245761)   #23
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would never ask any marshal to go out, running c20 meters over gravel, at right angles to oncoming traffic. But I would never stop marshals of the quality and professionalism of Mr Hollywood from doing what comes naturally! 2 or 3 laps of a safety car against an injured marshal is small beer. I don't know the corner, but what sight do marshals have up-track?
CART drivers are forever waving to get a push. As we are forbidden to upstage the Simple Green Heroes, they soon stop!
As far as I could see, the other car, well in the gravel, stayed there. Maybe it was snatched but I didn't see any yellows.
BTW the blue flag was being waved at the time of the incident. Why?
Old 7 Mar 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1245902)   #24
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on Mr hollywood where did you put the other car.

You saw MS wanting a push, the williams was there, the marshalls ran out, yep still there, next shot both cars gone...

Now thats Magic...
Old 7 Mar 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1245956)   #25
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
F1JordanUk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only thing I'll say (as you may know how much I love MS!) is that they ran a very long way with there back towards the traffic, I was always told not to do that, shirley ( ! ) the Marshals from the next post would have been a more direct route??

And It shouldn't be up to MS to tell the Marshals what to do.

I'm sure they would have had to tow NH's car out anyway