Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jan 2021, 04:28 (Ref:4027089)   #726
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A thesis could be written on why people change leisure pursuits away from what previous generations did. One huge impact on motor sport in this country is the implosion happening in karting, cutting the roots out of motor sport. The knock on effect will be felt through the next decade initially and that has already begun.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 05:57 (Ref:4027090)   #727
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloxsidgemotorsport View Post
I agree with alot of what you say, although I've found my friends who are in that age group are majority not interested in motor racing. They would rather play the latest online game or go to a music festival.

Most of the guys i know my age (im 35) have been brought up as a child attending motor racing. Mainly with our parents or grand parents racing and sometimes we have got the chance to.

Biggest issue i see with road racing is the extremely long event formats with long down time between races. Most speedway events I have attended this year have had big crowds, why because its during the evening and starts at 6pm and over by 10pm.
Agree, My first event as a spectator was Speedway, in a country town.
Years later , I did caravan racing, and Demo derby's . The crowds loved it.
You are right about speedway, great events, races run, and done in the space of 4 hours, punters are happy and good nights.

As a volunteer at circuit racing, on track around 7:30 am , finish around 4:00pm, for the first day, practice , qualify and maybe a race or two.
Then back the next day to do the same :

Very drawn out .
Old 6 Jan 2021, 06:33 (Ref:4027093)   #728
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I find all the stoppages at a Speedway event very frustrating.

Sure the whole thing is over in 4 hours but the amount of green flag racing compared to the time for warm ups and yellow flags does my head in.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 08:16 (Ref:4027097)   #729
bloxsidgemotorsport
Rookie

bloxsidgemotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Offtopic here but..

This what i would love to see tried to address spectator attendance issues.

Run a series over 4 weekends during summer at Late arvo evening under lights, starting at 5pm and over by 9pm.

5 classes - Supercars, S5000, TA2, Excels and Superbikes.

Format is
12pm to 4pm - Practice & Qualifying.

5pm - Excel Race 1 - 10 Laps Reverse Grid Race
- TA2 Race 1 - 10 Laps Reverse Grid Race
- Super Bikes - 10 Laps Reverse Grid Race
- S5000 - Top 10 Shootout
- Supercars - Top 10 Shootout
6.30pm - Excel Feature 15 Laps
- TA2 Feature 15 laps
- Super Bikes Feature 15 Laps
- S5000 Feature Race 40Laps
- V8 Supercars Feature 40 Laps

Racing at Sydney, Winton, The Bend and Barbagallo.

I bet with right promotion you would pack the house.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 12:50 (Ref:4027146)   #730
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloxsidgemotorsport View Post
Offtopic here but..

This what i would love to see tried to address spectator attendance issues.

Run a series over 4 weekends during summer at Late arvo evening under lights, starting at 5pm and over by 9pm.

5 classes - Supercars, S5000, TA2, Excels and Superbikes.

Format is
12pm to 4pm - Practice & Qualifying.

5pm - Excel Race 1 - 10 Laps Reverse Grid Race
- TA2 Race 1 - 10 Laps Reverse Grid Race
- Super Bikes - 10 Laps Reverse Grid Race
- S5000 - Top 10 Shootout
- Supercars - Top 10 Shootout
6.30pm - Excel Feature 15 Laps
- TA2 Feature 15 laps
- Super Bikes Feature 15 Laps
- S5000 Feature Race 40Laps
- V8 Supercars Feature 40 Laps

Racing at Sydney, Winton, The Bend and Barbagallo.

I bet with right promotion you would pack the house.
Put your money up and have a go. We had combined bike & car meetings and they died but I can't remember the details. I suppose one of the problems is the circuit safety is vastly different for both.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 23:59 (Ref:4027320)   #731
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Murph is pretty bullish about Gen 3. Let's hope he's right and the new car regs assist with better racing overall.
Old 7 Jan 2021, 01:29 (Ref:4027325)   #732
benny41
Rookie

benny41 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
Personally I find all the stoppages at a Speedway event very frustrating.

Sure the whole thing is over in 4 hours but the amount of green flag racing compared to the time for warm ups and yellow flags does my head in.
Sure ill agree the odd sprintcar meeting that can happen if there are a few reds but most other divisions are pretty good.
Old 7 Jan 2021, 02:14 (Ref:4027329)   #733
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Murph is pretty bullish about Gen 3. Let's hope he's right and the new car regs assist with better racing overall.
If after all these years of experience they could not improve on it then they have a real problem. Better racing means different things to different people so it is a moving target that will never please everyone. You will rarely see a plan such as this to make racing better described and targeted by those who are doing it.
Old 8 Jan 2021, 12:42 (Ref:4027639)   #734
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I will, I prefer to watch Formula One these days and am not fussed about missing most of the ATCC races. :
V8 Fireworks would be a close to more accurate representation of wider motor racing fans in Australia.

Not just that, but he gives supercars a go according to his quote. Outside of Bathurst the majority of fans in this country mostly ignore supercars.

F1 is where motor racing interest in Australia has been fueled, and for close to 40 years now. But it's not quantifiable because it's not a part of domestic racing. This is an oversight of numerous posters on here.

F1 is "eurocentric" (like with general motoring), and if a eurocentric class was introduced to Australia, it'll get a following. This has been the case even with the finishing of super touring, but there's never really been good admin for domestic racing culture here.
Old 8 Jan 2021, 13:09 (Ref:4027649)   #735
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
F1 is where motor racing interest in Australia has been fueled, and for close to 40 years now. But it's not quantifiable because it's not a part of domestic racing.
Hmmm - I honestly don't know if it is still the case but for many years Supercars had much higher TV ratings than F1 here in Oz, so not convinced you're on the money there.

Not an either/or situation though - both F1 and domestic racing are of great interest to many that I know.
Old 10 Jan 2021, 22:25 (Ref:4028041)   #736
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
A thesis could be written on why people change leisure pursuits away from what previous generations did. One huge impact on motor sport in this country is the implosion happening in karting, cutting the roots out of motor sport. The knock on effect will be felt through the next decade initially and that has already begun.
Karting in NZ had, I'm pretty sure, less than 1000 race licence holders at one stage. It was rather sad to see as we had massive fields in the mid-1990's. We had three classes at our kart club that had close to track limit fields. The KT 100 was the engine of the day.

Later on, there was a move to more international categories which escalated costs massively and alienated a huge amount of kart racers who simply did it for the love and fun of the sport. A guy I know was doing an "arrive and drive" deal, for his son, although he owned all the gear. He knocked it on the head when it got to around $2500 a meeting.
Old 10 Jan 2021, 22:28 (Ref:4028043)   #737
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
V8 Fireworks would be a close to more accurate representation of wider motor racing fans in Australia.

Not just that, but he gives supercars a go according to his quote. Outside of Bathurst the majority of fans in this country mostly ignore supercars.

F1 is where motor racing interest in Australia has been fueled, and for close to 40 years now. But it's not quantifiable because it's not a part of domestic racing. This is an oversight of numerous posters on here.

F1 is "eurocentric" (like with general motoring), and if a eurocentric class was introduced to Australia, it'll get a following. This has been the case even with the finishing of super touring, but there's never really been good admin for domestic racing culture here.
Did Australia not see Euro-centric classes in the form of Formula Holden/Brabham and F3? As stand-alone events, I wonder what their track attendance was like?
Old 11 Jan 2021, 00:18 (Ref:4028065)   #738
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Did Australia not see Euro-centric classes in the form of Formula Holden/Brabham and F3?
Formula Holden would have been a lot more successful as Australia's premier open-wheel class with the proper 3L V8s (be it Judd, Mugen-Honda whatever) instead of those god-awful Buick V6s IMO...

Just look at the far greater success of Japanese Formula 3000!

Australians like V8s, V8s are supposed to be raspy and have a high-pitched wail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIp_AKK7gp0
Old 11 Jan 2021, 00:31 (Ref:4028068)   #739
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Maybe, except the implosion is only in NSW and the rest of the states are now seeing significantly increased entries to club and state level competition - 1st round of the Australian Kart Championship just postponed due to Covid with just under 300 entries already received.

At some point the sport is likely to re-unite in NSW (as it has done before, this division seems to pop up in NSW from time to time) and although hurt, will start to grow in that state again but will be behind the other states for some time most likely.
Old 11 Jan 2021, 01:08 (Ref:4028078)   #740
benny41
Rookie

benny41 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Id argue that australian motorsport suffers a bit from having too many different classes / variations that all in all are pretty similar. With a relatively small population base. you end up with plenty of classes with few cars on track which leads to not very good racing.

I also think the challenge of having cars that are so reliant on having both a knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems is challenging. Id also say that in general younger people are looking at smaller houses which gennerally doesnt allow for a trailer/racecar setup easily.
Old 11 Jan 2021, 04:50 (Ref:4028099)   #741
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Maybe, except the implosion is only in NSW and the rest of the states are now seeing significantly increased entries to club and state level competition - 1st round of the Australian Kart Championship just postponed due to Covid with just under 300 entries already received.

At some point the sport is likely to re-unite in NSW (as it has done before, this division seems to pop up in NSW from time to time) and although hurt, will start to grow in that state again but will be behind the other states for some time most likely.
By implosion I mean the total national grid. When we first started karting the total numbers were slightly north of 10,000 competitors which it is nowhere near now for a whole raft of reasons and bad management is only one but a crucial one.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 05:45 (Ref:4028317)   #742
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Formula Holden would have been a lot more successful as Australia's premier open-wheel class with the proper 3L V8s (be it Judd, Mugen-Honda whatever) instead of those god-awful Buick V6s IMO...

Just look at the far greater success of Japanese Formula 3000!

Australians like V8s, V8s are supposed to be raspy and have a high-pitched wail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIp_AKK7gp0
Australia could not afford to run the original F3000 engines which is why they were converted to the V6. You can dream as much as you like but entrants pockets are only so deep and the more expensive the category the less entrants.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 00:10 (Ref:4028847)   #743
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
You can dream as much as you like
2 litre, four-cylinder, hybrid, 600hp -- this is the future of sports coupes but the Supercars Gen 3 platform won't cater to it, even though Gen 3 is supposed to cater to market-relevant sports coupes.

At least the body will fit over the roll hoop, but would Polestar really come back to race a V8, when Geely have said clearly that hybridisation and then electric is the future?

Quote:
Maximum system outputs are 600bhp and 737lb ft, and on electricity alone, Polestar claims a 93-mile (150km) range.
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/polestar/1
Old 14 Jan 2021, 06:11 (Ref:4028884)   #744
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
Australia could not afford to run the original F3000 engines which is why they were converted to the V6. You can dream as much as you like but entrants pockets are only so deep and the more expensive the category the less entrants.

That was Big Darrell Eastlake's continual whinge that they weren't true F3000's and as you said, the V6 3800 was the only thing that kept them even remotely affordable as a national category.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 09:39 (Ref:4029397)   #745
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Did Australia not see Euro-centric classes in the form of Formula Holden/Brabham and F3? As stand-alone events, I wonder what their track attendance was like?
I'm sure what the where you're getting at with the question?
Old 17 Jan 2021, 23:28 (Ref:4029724)   #746
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure what the where you're getting at with the question?
Sorry, I may've overlooked the pay drivers, and speaking of sensical questions, please refer to quote above ^^^^^^

Did F3 or Formula Holden/Brabham ever run as stand-alone meetings and did anyone attend?

There you go - same, but different
Old 18 Jan 2021, 06:37 (Ref:4029793)   #747
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry, I may've overlooked the pay drivers, and speaking of sensical questions, please refer to quote above ^^^^^^

Did F3 or Formula Holden/Brabham ever run as stand-alone meetings and did anyone attend?

There you go - same, but different
And the answer is yes, Formula Brabham in 1991.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzy8am0QAh4

Did anyone attend? - no.

Formula type racing, outside of the AGP and IndyCar at Surfers, has not attracted crowds since the late seventies.
Old 19 Jan 2021, 01:42 (Ref:4029950)   #748
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
And the answer is yes, Formula Brabham in 1991.

Did anyone attend? - no.

Formula type racing, outside of the AGP and IndyCar at Surfers, has not attracted crowds since the late seventies.
That's because Formula Brabham cars used those Buick 90-degree V6s that sound like a wet fart, instead of the wailing V8s used in AGP and Indycar.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 19 Jan 2021 at 01:47.
Old 19 Jan 2021, 06:06 (Ref:4029959)   #749
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
That's because Formula Brabham cars used those Buick 90-degree V6s that sound like a wet fart, instead of the wailing V8s used in AGP and Indycar.
Do you really think that engine sound alone was the sole cause of the series failure and there was absolutely no other reason?
Old 19 Jan 2021, 06:29 (Ref:4029962)   #750
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Do you really think that engine sound alone was the sole cause of the series failure and there was absolutely no other reason?
If all the top drivers and race teams in Australia (plus plenty of top imports like Magnussen, Vandoorne etc) raced open wheel cars, ones which sound good, I think it could be very successful indeed, and not cost anymore than running a 3A Touring Car for a season.

Of course they would be unable to race at Bathurst because of safety issues, but circuits like Eastern Creek, Phillip Island and The Bend would all be excellent for hosting state Grand Prixs. Heck such a category would be more than sufficient to headline the South Australian Grand Prix at the Adelaide Parklands, and the Queensland Grand Prix at the Surfers Paradise Circuit.

People love (proper) open wheel racing, it is a lot of fun! S5000 is a good try but it's not quite there, it's too obvious they are modified F3 cars with Ford small block V8s, and I don't believe the fuel tank capacity (which has not been expanded from the F3) is sufficient to run a 305km Grand Prix.

GP2 regularly produces exceptional close racing, and it only costs $1.5m AUD per car per season (about the same as running a Supercar), so a similar Formula 3000-type class could easily be Australia's (and Australasia's) premier circuit racing category IMO. Races in Malaysia at the world class Sepang circuit, Thailand at the Buriram Circuit, Indonesia at the Sentul circuit and so on, would only add to the calibre of Australasia's premier open-wheel Grand Prix series.

Formula Holden by comparison was too much of a cut-priced, bare bones minor class -- some of this self-inflicted by running a meagre grid of ancient 8-year-old Reynards with Buick V6s that sound awful -- instead of a flagship premier F3000/Grand Prix series of a higher status, headline 305km Grand Prixs at Adelaide/Gold Coast, and higher commercial relevance than the ATCC.

...Who wouldn't want to watch Hartley, van Gisbergen, Reid, McLaughlin, Whincup, Halliday, Albon, Vandoorne, Magnussen, Winterbottom, Vips, Mostert, de Silvestro and co banging wheels in Australiasia's premier open-wheel class in cars plastered with brands like Penrite, Shell, Red Bull etc!?

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 19 Jan 2021 at 06:52.
Closed Thread