Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 17 Apr 2016, 21:58 (Ref:3634214)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why have the commercial break now?
Old 17 Apr 2016, 21:59 (Ref:3634215)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pagenaud gets a warning.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 22:05 (Ref:3634217)   #18
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Pagenaud gets a warning.
Welcome to Indycar, where "Race Control" has absolutely no control over the race.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 22:22 (Ref:3634222)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
''Congrats'' to Pagenaud but it was very dubious win. I don't like too see penalties dictate the outcome of a race, however I think in Pagenaud's case a penalty was warranted.

Otherwise it was a rather a dull affair and as race it never really got going.

Amazingly, not one FCY.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 22:32 (Ref:3634225)   #20
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They concentrated too much on the top 2. There was a lot going on behind them but no coverage.

I said after Phoenix that consistency wasn't enough to win the championship, you need some wins too. Pagenaud got his first and extends his lead. Fantastic start to the season for him.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 22:45 (Ref:3634231)   #21
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!
Good job with Pagenaud and Dixon. But it was a long race that didn't really gel until right before the death.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 22:51 (Ref:3634235)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Interesting comments there from Will Power on the downforce generated by the aero-kits and the subsequent turbulence and how he thought the original DW12 was better as a racer than the current DW12. Ryan Hunter-Rey as said similar.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 00:06 (Ref:3634248)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Result:

1 Simon Pagenaud, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 1h33m54.4835s
2 Scott Dixon, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 0.3032s
3 Helio Castroneves, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 10.8376s
4 Juan Pablo Montoya, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 12.2162s
5 Takuma Sato, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. 12.2918s
6 Tony Kanaan, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 17.6267s
7 Will Power, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 18.7449s
8 James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 19.0362s
9 Sebastien Bourdais, KVSH Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 22.9147s
10 Josef Newgarden, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 23.6654s
11 Charlie Kimball, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 24.2179s
12 Carlos Munoz, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 40.1250s
13 Conor Daly, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 47.1809s
14 Max Chilton, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 53.9106s
15 Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan. Dallara/Honda. 56.9082s
16 Mikhail Aleshin, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 1m01.2966s
17 Luca Filippi, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 1m08.0543s
18 Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 1m30.3302s
19 Marco Andretti, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 1 Lap
20 Alexander Rossi, Andretti Herta. Dallara/Honda. 1 Lap
21 Jack Hawksworth, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. 3 Laps

That's about the most disappointing weekend for Andretti Autosport.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 00:24 (Ref:3634254)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
IndyCar have released a statement on their Facebook page, regarding Pagenaud's penalty.

https://www.facebook.com/indycar/?fref=nf

INDYCAR Statement on Pagenaud Penalty:
Simon Pagenaud’s actions during the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach were deemed an infraction per Rule 7.10.1.1. “Lane Usage” of the INDYCAR Penalty Guidelines: Failing to follow designated procedures entering or exiting the pit area, including the proper use of the acceleration and deceleration lanes. The penalty for this infraction ranges from a warning (minimum), putting the driver to the back of the field (mid) and drive-through or stop and go/hold (maximum). INDYCAR race stewards determined his actions were not deemed severe enough to warrant a harsher penalty than the warning that was issued.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 02:58 (Ref:3634275)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Track limits? It's the concrete walls, per Townsend and yes, PT has never read a rulebook in his life. Simon's warning seemed absurd initially as the rule was broken and the punishment had absolutely no effect. However, I struggle to quantify the amount of track position he picked up but would think that if he had two wheels outside the line per the rules, he'd still have enough to hold the inside line to the fountain. In the end, I think a lot was made about less than a foot of track through the last part of the race and through the closing interviews. It just sends an awkward message to the drivers/teams. I have no problem with the results.

Great event, as always. Through split series and scheduling changes, Indianapolis and Long Beach are the only two races that have been on the schedule for the last 30 plus years. That says something.

Quote:
Interesting comments there from Will Power on the downforce generated by the aero-kits and the subsequent turbulence and how he thought the original DW12 was better as a racer than the current DW12. Ryan Hunter-Rey as said similar.
The cars are the worst part of this series. We've all forgot or don't discuss how horrid their appearance is and how they suck in many ways. Regardless, they still produce close racing, especially on a street circuit. No cautions and the top two were less than 2 secs apart? Good stuff.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 03:09 (Ref:3634279)   #26
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some thoughts:

Graham Rahal also commented in his post-race interview about the downforce and how the original DW12 was a better car to race. Interesting to hear that echoed by Power.

Chip Ganassi was very diplomatic about the penalty, although I'm sure his tongue was firmly in his cheek when he said he was going to talk to the stewards and that he "might learn something".

I'm convinced, based on watching other pit exits, that had Pagenaud gone that extra foot or whatever before turning in, he would have lost the lead. But of course we'll never know. I tend to agree with PT on this one - if there's a rule, enforce it. They could simply have told him to surrender the place to Dixon, which would maybe have seemed cruel, but a lot less so than, say, a drive through.

Otherwise - pretty terrible coverage. No replay or discussion of the contact on lap 1 that sent bodywork flying. Coverage of RHR under pressure, then yapping about something else *while RHR was passed by two cars in the background*. Never discussed. Etc., etc., etc.

So - conclusions? I dunno. It was a race. I do agree with various drivers who all said that it would be better if a bit longer to force a three-stopper and get rid of all the fuel saving. I like Pagenaud but I still don't feel that win should have been his. Ah well. IndyCar will IndyCar, I suppose.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 20:10 (Ref:3634595)   #27
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, that was a mess. Are race control unable to do anything right? It's a shame that it seems impossible to overtake without the push to pass now.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 20:26 (Ref:3634601)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
well, that was a mess. Are race control unable to do anything right? It's a shame that it seems impossible to overtake without the push to pass now.
With increased aero, the car produces more drag and turbulence. Push to Pass is IndyCar's equivalent of DRS but its use is limited.

I hope there's a rethink on aero-kits but I won't hold my breath.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 21:53 (Ref:3634628)   #29
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!
The Series NEEDED to do something to make the Hondas and Chevys "look different from one another". I'd have to go back and watch the last few Long Beach races to give much of a verdict on the racing, if there is one.

It sounds like this race may have been like some at Mid Ohio, where the leader, or front few, took off, but there was good action further back. However, it sounds like the TV coverage did not do a great job of showing that action through the field.

The DW12 is pretty draggy either way. And even though the power is up to similar levels compared to the Cosworth XFE, I'm not so sure that the current lumps make as much torque. In any case, with all that drag, these cars CAN'T top out at the speeds we saw with the Champ Cars, and they don't seem to have the same sort of punch on corner exit.

This is a particular issue at Long Beach, where the main stretch is preceded by a very slow corner. You're going from 30-mph up to 180-mph. If you're right on the guy's tail at the apex of the hairpin, a fixed time gap will see you with a five-length gap to the guy in front (a six-length time gap) at the far end of Shoreline. In other words, you have to make up a fair bit of ground on the leader in the course of the straight to be able to have a go.

Furthermore, on the aero front, most of the corners at Long Beach aren't fast enough to have a drastic impact. That is, you're not going quickly enough to be that aero-dependent, or for the wash off the guy in front to be that strong. Turn 10 is probably the fastest, and I don't see the drivers having serious problems following one another closely through that corner.

Maybe try reading this description I gave in the "My Track Designs" section:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....1&postcount=28

Now, as for Pagenaud, yes, a position swap ordered by Race Control would have been appropriate for his pit-exit violation. (And believe me, I'm a Penske guy, and no team has bugged me more, at times, in CART/IRL/IndyCar than Ganassi. I still think the Penske driver should have gotten a "real" penalty yesterday.)
Old 19 Apr 2016, 00:32 (Ref:3634670)   #30
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I hope there's a rethink on aero-kits but I won't hold my breath.
You would think long term yes - however short term what can they do?

On one hand we want separation, differentiation and innovation but then on the other hand when they lead a performance advantage.

Overlay that with cost control and we are in a perennial stalemate.