Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which driver is going to win the VASC Driver’s Championship In 2018?
#1 Jamie Whincup RBHRT Holden 6 14.63%
#2 Scott Pye WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#5 Mark Winterbottom Tickford Ford 0 0%
#6 Cameron Waters Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#7 Andre Heimgartner NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#8 Nick Percat BJR Holden 0 0%
#9 David Reynolds Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#12 Fabian Coulthard DJRTP Ford 1 2.44%
#14 Tim Slade BJR Holden 0 0%
#15 Rick Kelly NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#17 Scott McLaughlin DJRTP Ford 22 53.66%
#18 Lee Holdsworth Team18 Holden 0 0%
#19 Jack Le Brocq Tekno Holden 0 0%
#21 Tim Blanchard TBR Holden 0 0%
#23 Michael Caruso NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#25 James Courtney WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#33 Garth Tander GRM Holden 0 0%
#34 James Golding GRM Holden 0 0%
#35 Todd Hazelwood MSR Ford 0 0%
#55 Chaz Mostert Tickford Ford 4 9.76%
#56 Richie Stanaway Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#78 Simona de Silvestro NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#97 Shane van Gisbergen RBHRT Holden 2 4.88%
#99 Anton de Pasquale Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#230 Will Davison 23RED Ford 0 0%
#888 Craig Lowndes ALR Holden 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Mar 2017, 21:55 (Ref:3722278)   #151
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's exactly right! When I read it I couldn't help but think exactly what you said.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 22:01 (Ref:3722283)   #152
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I bow to Jamie's experience and knowledge, but I'm lost in his reasoning on this.
It is a special occasion, already a massive event in front of the best collection of the big teams corporate guests you're ever likely to see, and conducted in front of the F1 teams, so I can see the argument that it doesn't NEED to be a made a points round.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 22:01 (Ref:3722284)   #153
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That's exactly right! When I read it I couldn't help but think exactly what you said.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Mar 2017, 22:20 (Ref:3722291)   #154
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
It is a special occasion, already a massive event in front of the best collection of the big teams corporate guests you're ever likely to see, and conducted in front of the F1 teams, so I can see the argument that it doesn't NEED to be a made a points round.
Take away the F1 teams bit, so is Bathurst. And Clipsal. I'm just not sure that bending cars for zero points makes sense no matter what the exposure.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 22:25 (Ref:3722294)   #155
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Take away the F1 teams bit, so is Bathurst. And Clipsal. I'm just not sure that bending cars for zero points makes sense no matter what the exposure.
At least the host broadcasters are common, even if the commentary team on FTA weren't the usual suspects..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 29 Mar 2017, 01:14 (Ref:3722317)   #156
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post

So what's your role in motor racing Mceci1?

About 163 posts.....
Old 29 Mar 2017, 01:18 (Ref:3722319)   #157
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
About 163 posts.....
hahaha
Old 29 Mar 2017, 05:05 (Ref:3722341)   #158
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm beginning to get worried about these next gen regulations and how supercars intends to police it. Currently it appears that only one engine package per brand will be homologated and it'll basically be a first in best dress when it comes to who gets the gomologation. We know T8 have a V6T in development in the states and for sure Penske will have Ilmor working on their ford variant. I wonder how other teams will fare with this and how it'll be kept fair. Who will you purchase the engines from? Who will offer track support for said engines? (Holden have given an answer but good luck the other Holden teams being happy with it) Many questions and really only 10 months to go.

Last edited by Ospi; 29 Mar 2017 at 05:13.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 06:00 (Ref:3722348)   #159
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
3 marques, 3 engine suppliers.

If you want parity, that's the easiest way to do it.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 06:15 (Ref:3722351)   #160
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
For this particular sponsor (Red Bull) he fits the sponsors image better than Lowndes.
Like Caltex is probably a better fit for Lowndes than SVG.

So what you're saying is you've never forgiven him for leaving SBR / Ford???

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

No I don't have an issue with the fact he isn't in a Ford, the issue I have is how he left SBR. The way he treated that was a joke, and all year it had been known that it was likely that SBR would be bought by Erebus. Shane didn't have to sign his contract with SBR when there was others looking at him. The way he then went about it later in the year saying I'm homesick, was a joke. Fair enough people can get homesick, but don't use it as an excuse to get into a better team. He never planed to sit at home going on what his career was doing, he would have essentially stopped racing at that time.

To then come back in 2013 with Tekno really did show he didn't want to be at SBR for one reason or another. He claims he thought the Merc was going to be a failure, but how did he know, none of us knew what was going to happen so that is not a good enough excuse. The idea that he didn't want to race for a girl, I don't know sounds stupid but it could have some truth, the public will never know what went on behind closed doors in that team.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 06:18 (Ref:3722352)   #161
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
About 163 posts.....
Get lost, you seem to be one of the deadest idiots who sit on the lounge and does nothing, and has no idea. The others may be negative critics but at least they have knowledge. I can stand talking to people like that, people like yourself are just fustrating
Old 29 Mar 2017, 06:23 (Ref:3722353)   #162
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think things are getting a little bit heated here let's just all calm down
Old 29 Mar 2017, 07:15 (Ref:3722360)   #163
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mceci1, life is a funny thing-the old adage if it looks like sh#t, smells like sh#t, tastes like sh#t, it probably is sh#t.

SVG didn't like what I saw, or was told, promised so he told Betty to shove it.
At the end of the day he would have been running at back of the field, and not winning a title.

At the end of the day a race car driver has a small career window to win titles, and top up their cash for when they have to get a real job. I have been watching car racing whether it be Formula1, touring car racing or speedway racing for a long time. I have seen good drivers get talked into going to a team, only to find a dud car, no dollars and lot's of heartache.

Might be time to smell the roses as they say.

After SVG defected, and the world nearly came to and end, I noticed the sun still rises each morning.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 07:41 (Ref:3722363)   #164
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Whincup, right on the money. They should pull more events out of the "championship" as well.

Its a sad state of affairs if the only reason to go racing is to get points at the end of it.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 08:39 (Ref:3722376)   #165
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
mceci1, life is a funny thing-the old adage if it looks like sh#t, smells like sh#t, tastes like sh#t, it probably is sh#t.

SVG didn't like what I saw, or was told, promised so he told Betty to shove it.
At the end of the day he would have been running at back of the field, and not winning a title.

At the end of the day a race car driver has a small career window to win titles, and top up their cash for when they have to get a real job. I have been watching car racing whether it be Formula1, touring car racing or speedway racing for a long time. I have seen good drivers get talked into going to a team, only to find a dud car, no dollars and lot's of heartache.

Might be time to smell the roses as they say.

After SVG defected, and the world nearly came to and end, I noticed the sun still rises each morning.
Well said Kingair.

The fact is that when SVG resigned with SBR he did not know that there was an impending change of car manufacture, when he and his dad Robert found out the full extent of the change, they felt betrayed and from that point on things when rapidly downhill.

With hindsight could they have handled it better? Yes for sure, but **** happens, and and its time for everybody to move on, to his credit even Ross Stone has made peace with SVG. Maybe Betty never will but thats her cross to bare.

Everybody needs to move on particularly some on the forum and thread. JMO.

Old 29 Mar 2017, 09:10 (Ref:3722382)   #166
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
3 marques, 3 engine suppliers.

If you want parity, that's the easiest way to do it.
Which is fine but it comes down to who gets the cash in their pocket. If Penske develops the Ford engine then any team wishing to run a Ford needs to purchase the engine from them, even if they have their own resources to develop their own unit for less over the life of the homologation period.

There's also the problem in my eyes that we have the skills to develop new gen engines in Australia but all the money ends up going overseas to develop them because no local builders are given the information to get the ball rolling yet. It's very much the high rollers of the sport with the information to get it done first. I've heard they're developing the Holden unit for 1 million, you could easily do it for half that locally and in time.

Real shame for an aussie series.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3722387)   #167
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well said Kingair.

The fact is that when SVG resigned with SBR he did not know that there was an impending change of car manufacture, when he and his dad Robert found out the full extent of the change, they felt betrayed and from that point on things when rapidly downhill.

With hindsight could they have handled it better? Yes for sure, but **** happens, and and its time for everybody to move on, to his credit even Ross Stone has made peace with SVG. Maybe Betty never will but thats her cross to bare.

History has shown the VGB's were dead right....
Old 29 Mar 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3722390)   #168
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Still don't get where SVG didn't know about the changes he was informed in September and decided to call the quits not long before Homebush
Old 29 Mar 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3722391)   #169
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Well said Kingair.

When is SVG going to make peace with people. Always seems to be others that have to do it
Old 29 Mar 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3722393)   #170
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
Which is fine but it comes down to who gets the cash in their pocket. If Penske develops the Ford engine then any team wishing to run a Ford needs to purchase the engine from them, even if they have their own resources to develop their own unit for less over the life of the homologation period.

There's also the problem in my eyes that we have the skills to develop new gen engines in Australia but all the money ends up going overseas to develop them because no local builders are given the information to get the ball rolling yet. It's very much the high rollers of the sport with the information to get it done first. I've heard they're developing the Holden unit for 1 million, you could easily do it for half that locally and in time.

Real shame for an aussie series.
We currently have at least 6 engine suppliers to 3 tiers of V8Supercar racing. Upwards of 60 cars in competition right now, with say 2-3 engines to go with.

KRE
Noonan
Kellys
PRA
Penske
Walkinshaw

To name the maingame ones alone...

There will still be the need to service, repair, supply parts and tech support to teams that utilise engines from the above suppliers.

KRE, for instance, doesn't strictly do engines for Supercars. They have a growing clientele in speedway both here and in the USA.

Just like other suppliers of parts, etc in the past, that were phased out as control components were sourced from other tenders, they will adjust their business strategies accordingly.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 09:50 (Ref:3722395)   #171
Ospi
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
We currently have at least 6 engine suppliers to 3 tiers of V8Supercar racing. Upwards of 60 cars in competition right now, with say 2-3 engines to go with.

KRE
Noonan
Kellys
PRA
Penske
Walkinshaw

To name the maingame ones alone...

There will still be the need to service, repair, supply parts and tech support to teams that utilise engines from the above suppliers.

KRE, for instance, doesn't strictly do engines for Supercars. They have a growing clientele in speedway both here and in the USA.

Just like other suppliers of parts, etc in the past, that were phased out as control components were sourced from other tenders, they will adjust their business strategies accordingly.
To me that's not the point, the point is keeping current specification development for an Australian series in Australia, where the knowledge and experience can be kept local instead of overseas. I'm well aware that most builders have their hand in other piles but there should be an active effort by the governing body to utilise what we have locally instead of shrugging their shoulders and allowing it to come from somewhere else.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3722397)   #172
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
Still don't get where SVG didn't know about the changes he was informed in September and decided to call the quits not long before Homebush
Word started leaking out that SVG was going to leave just before the Winton round that year (which IIRC was after the Gold Coast...perhaps the round before Homebush)

He probably was informed in September, thought it over for a period of time, decided he wanted to leave.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 11:48 (Ref:3722407)   #173
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
To me that's not the point, the point is keeping current specification development for an Australian series in Australia, where the knowledge and experience can be kept local instead of overseas. I'm well aware that most builders have their hand in other piles but there should be an active effort by the governing body to utilise what we have locally instead of shrugging their shoulders and allowing it to come from somewhere else.
My argument is for a single supply as a cost cutting measure that doesn't reduce the show.

Recently we've had KRE vs Noonan vs WP in Commodores
PRA vs DJR(TP) in Fords

Collectively hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop something that by rules has to be there or thereabouts - it is just inefficient and a waste.

Locally there has been a lot of development expertise with the V8 engines and the current engines have a very long history with the category, and therefore lots of people who could work on them.

The rumours about Holden's V6 is that it is to be developed wholly in the US and will even have scheduled maintenance carried out by US technicians flown in for the purposes, co-ordinated by 888. Engines will be available to purchase or lease.

Unfortunately the flirtation some teams had with overseas fettled engines were never a good thiing - Prodrive UK, and HWA I would use as examples.

But I wonder if the Holden engine is based on something GM is using already.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 12:22 (Ref:3722410)   #174
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see how restricting engine supply will cut the costs, considering there will still be an engine battle amongst the different manufacturer engine builders?

Engines are just about the last bastion in the category of proper competition between different parties

Control parts are just boring.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 12:25 (Ref:3722411)   #175
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I don't see how restricting engine supply will cut the costs, considering there will still be an engine battle amongst the different manufacturer engine builders?
If you have 3 people each building an engine converging to the same point, and constrained by the same rules, you're going to spend more money than if you have a single point of development and supply. Quite apart from only one body spending the development money, it gets amortised over more engines, and you gain value by higher volumes of said engine.