Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 20 Apr 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2866826)   #26
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark1 View Post
Hope i am in right place for this as new to site and new to forums!! so i apologize now!!
Basically need information a car my father owns,as far as we know it is a connaught streamline body, but it has no fin now. he has had it from 1960-1970 found on a farm in a shed. Im awaiting for dad to get the info on it and will post later in the week!!! just wanted to say hi and before posting all information on it make sure im in the right place!!
Thanks for your time and hope im in right place and if not sorry!!!
Regards
mark
Mark
This is a pretty good place to start.
Please post (or e-mail) some photos and any other information and we'll try to identify it.
Peter
Old 22 Apr 2011, 07:57 (Ref:2867982)   #27
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, welcome, Mark; very interesting first post, and as Peter says, photos would help greatly.
Old 23 Oct 2020, 20:31 (Ref:4012272)   #28
Easonicon
Rookie

Easonicon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately time has flown by and for some reason I never received any confirmation of replies so sorry I haven’t until now.

My father has since passed away and I never did find out the full story as I said before I would follow up.

So now not sure in what direction to go and how we will ever find the history out on the car . To date we have not found any written information .

I have tried to post some pictures with this reply but not sure why they are not coming up, any advice to how I can upload would be appreciated or an email to forward too?

Many thanks for the previous replies and sorry I haven’t replied until now.

Regards

Mark
Old 28 Oct 2020, 09:42 (Ref:4013498)   #29
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easonicon View Post
Unfortunately time has flown by and for some reason I never received any confirmation of replies so sorry I haven’t until now.

My father has since passed away and I never did find out the full story as I said before I would follow up.

So now not sure in what direction to go and how we will ever find the history out on the car . To date we have not found any written information .

I have tried to post some pictures with this reply but not sure why they are not coming up, any advice to how I can upload would be appreciated or an email to forward too?

Many thanks for the previous replies and sorry I haven’t replied until now.

Regards

Mark
Tried sending an email from here but didn't receive a reply, so I'll assume you didn't get it.
You can email me on peter.morley(at)pandora.be

Peter
Old 29 Oct 2020, 13:12 (Ref:4013720)   #30
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's interesting looking back at the cars of old that didn't achieve much. Hopefully the mystery of the car will be solved.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 09:59 (Ref:4015795)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark, my condolences on the loss of your Father.

Since your original post, the history of Connaught's called 'From Send to Syracuse' has been published (2018) written by Graham Rabagliati with plenty of input also from Duncan Rabagliati. If not recorded in the book, the existence of this surviving body will be of great interest to all concerned and as Peter has said earlier, photos would be appreciated.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 10 Nov 2020, 10:02 (Ref:4015796)   #32
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hope more is found about the car. That's nice this plucky little marque has now got a book on it's history, an often forgotten about F1 constructor. Let us know if you find anything Mark. We're all intrigued
Old 10 Nov 2020, 10:09 (Ref:4015798)   #33
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
So which Connaught are we referring to?
Assume it’s a B Series with a toothpaste tube body
So body still exists?
Aware that B2 is as original plus the Syracuse car but others are a bit of a mixture .
As for Connaught not being being that successful.
It was the first British car to win a post war GP!
What followed was a fantastic history only let down by cash flow.
Even provided Bernie’s step into F1!
Engineering superior to both Vanwalls and BRM,s of same period.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 10:22 (Ref:4015804)   #34
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well the streamliner had a fin and Mark says it's had a fin removed, but either way this could be an important survivor? A couple of photos would probably tell us.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 10 Nov 2020, 10:47 (Ref:4015806)   #35
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
So which Connaught are we referring to?
Assume it’s a B Series with a toothpaste tube body
So body still exists?
Aware that B2 is as original plus the Syracuse car but others are a bit of a mixture .
As for Connaught not being being that successful.
It was the first British car to win a post war GP!
What followed was a fantastic history only let down by cash flow.
Even provided Bernie’s step into F1!
Engineering superior to both Vanwalls and BRM,s of same period.
B2, Science Museum & Morgan family cars are all pretty original.

The Syracuse car can't be original, that was burnt out at Syracuse the following year, the chassis was auctioned off, built up and is with BCE now.

I've got the photos from Mark and will try to post them now.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 10:52 (Ref:4015807)   #36
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
I've now received these photos from Mark.
Attached Thumbnails
image0.jpeg   image1.jpeg   image2.jpeg  

Old 10 Nov 2020, 10:57 (Ref:4015808)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

Good find there
Old 10 Nov 2020, 12:52 (Ref:4015837)   #38
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
So it’s the Dinky Toy body
What’s happening to the car now?
Old 11 Nov 2020, 19:12 (Ref:4016041)   #39
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

So the body is from B2 ?
This is in our workshop but sure it would be rewarding for body to be kept with car.
Let me know
Old 13 Nov 2020, 10:24 (Ref:4016320)   #40
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
B1, B2, B3 & B5 all had streamlined bodies originally so could be any of them.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 10:29 (Ref:4016469)   #41
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
So, as well as the fin, it's been shortened front and rear. What chassis is it sitting on then?
Old 14 Nov 2020, 14:03 (Ref:4016533)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

Wonder why they shortened it? As long as it still runs that's the main thing
Old 14 Nov 2020, 14:41 (Ref:4016562)   #43
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Because it’s on an odd ball chassis nothing to do with Connaught
Been cut probably thirty or forty years ago when stuff like this was worthless