Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 23 Jul 2012, 00:07 (Ref:3110072)   #1
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tim Richmond...

Had never heard of this guy until i saw the ESPN doco 30 in 30 or whatever they are called.
What a fascinating & sad story - he sure had the looks, the life, living the dream which ultimately cost him his life right in his prime...
Old 23 Jul 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3110086)   #2
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately his lifestyle didn't only cost his own life Gomick

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/%60SEE......-a083933555

I agree, all very sad and tragic.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 00:42 (Ref:3110089)   #3
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was a hero of mine growing up. I took his death to heart and cleaned up my own life as not to repeat his errors.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 01:06 (Ref:3110107)   #4
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar..._ed&id=4394325

This is a good article I think, puts it all in perspective.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 01:29 (Ref:3110117)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of the most intriguing tales of the late 70s and 80s American racing. Tim was an absolute natural behind the wheel and unfortunately, like many others during that time, famous or not, was struck down by the most terrifying disease of the time.

I have yet to see the 30 for 30 film on him. If it is like the others I have seen, it has to be must watch for me. There are different, writers, directors and producers for all of them but all very well done.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 04:36 (Ref:3110134)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
Unfortunately his lifestyle didn't only cost his own life Gomick

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/%60SEE......-a083933555

I agree, all very sad and tragic.
Yes, you never think of those he may have infected - its like there lives dont matter...
Old 23 Jul 2012, 14:29 (Ref:3110335)   #7
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't aware of this documentary. Thanks for the notice gomick. I will try to watch it one day.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 06:56 (Ref:3110644)   #8
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah saw it on ESPN over the weekend, was an interesting watch.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 00:35 (Ref:3114470)   #9
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Yes, you never think of those he may have infected - its like there lives dont matter...
Yup!
Old 8 Aug 2012, 13:15 (Ref:3117577)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I really liked Tim, back in the day. He walked away from a very promising open-wheel career to go to NASCAR. He did not fit the template of NASCAR drivers at the time, to say the least. He often made fun of his decision to leave open wheel by saying that he didn't want to end up "like this" where he would hold his feet at odd angles similar to those who had been injured in open wheel crashes.

At the time Richmond's death occured, I was living in a townhouse complex. One of the residents there was into cars and had done some race photography. He knew Tim personally and he and I would talk about Tim & racing in general. I ran into him after I heard the news (and he had not yet). I still remember the look on his face. He had apparently had been with a few of the same ladies (and remember, at the time AIDS was a death sentence). He looked like he was going to pass out right there. I lost track of the man and I hope he was not infected. What a price people paid because one man essentioally could not control himself.

A great talent though. We lost a lot of good ones around that time, such as Davey Allison...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.