Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 6 Aug 2012, 00:35 (Ref:3116479)   #1
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NASCAR Fan killed by lightning at Pocono Raceway

Got back from a great weekend at Mid Ohio to hear this horrible news, 1 fan was killed and 9 injured after lightning struck a tent in a parking lot outside the turn 3 grandstand, One of the injured is in critical condition.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...way/56811334/1

Quote:
Pocono spokesman Bob Pleban said the fan, whose identity has not been released, was declared dead upon arriving at Pocono Medical Center. Nine other fans were injured, one in critical condition, as a result of the storm and were taken to local hospitals.

"Our heartfelt thoughts and best wishes to those who were injured. And our condolences to the loved ones of the person who was deceased," Pleban said.
  • Track officials said the fans were injured in the parking lot behind the grandstand after the race. Pleban says it's not clear if all 10 were struck by lightning and whether there were multiple lightning strikes.
A fan told The Sporting News that he witnessed a lightning strike near the Turn 3 grandstands.
"Me and my friend just ran into our truck during all the nasty weather," said Kyle Manger, a New Jersey native. "The visibility was very poor and all of a sudden (I) saw a bolt of lightning right in front of our windshield.
"When it became a little more visible, we saw two bodies next to a destroyed tent with people scrambling."
A severe storm warning was issued for the track at 4:12 p.m. ET However, race cars were still on the track 30 minutes later, which may have contributed to some fans wanting to hang out instead of seeking shelter.
At 4:21 p.m., the track issued warnings on its Twitter and Facebook accounts: "ATTENTION FANS: Severe thunderstorms are in the area which will produce high winds and lightning. Should arrive in 10-15 mins."
At 4:38 p.m., cars were still on the track. The race was called 12 minutes later.
At 4:59 p.m., the track issued another warning via social media: "ATTENTION FANS: Be advised, seek shelter as severe lightning and heavy winds are in our area."
About an hour later (5:50 p.m.), track President Brandon Igdalsky tweeted: "Hoping for the safety of all the fans that are leaving in this crazy storm. Please seek shelter as there is alot of cloud 2 ground lightning."
The Pennsylvania 400, won by Jeff Gordon, was called because of rain with 98 of the 160 scheduled laps completed.
RIP
Old 6 Aug 2012, 03:39 (Ref:3116506)   #2
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad news.

To be honest, I never realized the amount danger of being in a tent in a lightning storm until this.
Old 6 Aug 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3116623)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My condolences to this guy's family, and I hope the others injured recover quickly. They are actually reporting that the 41 year old man was in or near a car, and not actually in a tent. Having had many a close call with lightning in a tent, on a sporting field or just around a house, it must have been absolutely terrifying for a lot of people yesterday.
Old 16 Aug 2012, 02:41 (Ref:3120499)   #4
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Got back from a great weekend at Mid Ohio to hear this horrible news, 1 fan was killed and 9 injured after lightning struck a tent in a parking lot outside the turn 3 grandstand, One of the injured is in critical condition.

RIP
Sad to hear indeed... I was driving through a heavy downpour on my way home from Mid Ohio that day, couldn't see much for a long period of time, but made it home to Jersey safely only to find out that this happened in the area earlier in the day.