Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 21 Jun 2012, 12:21 (Ref:3095923)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
NASCAR Cup Round #16: Toyota / Save Mart 350(k); Sonoma

Road Racing

JAYSKI Race Page

Road Racers entered:
Boris, Tomy Drissi, Brian Simo, Robby Gordon and I guess Scott Speed and Brian Vickers can now be considered "ringers".

Boris guaranteed to start. Wonder if he'll find Greg Bifle's Motor Coach sometime this weekend give him a suplex.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 13:05 (Ref:3095934)   #2
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Tony Stewart and Ambrose should be strong. Gordon might be somewhere in the mix, Montoya too. Said and Gordon might break the top 15. I'm not sure about the other ringers.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 08:20 (Ref:3096276)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Be really good for the championship if Ambrose wins
Old 22 Jun 2012, 09:54 (Ref:3096313)   #4
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes and then he wins Watkins Glen, no one else between 10 and 20 win 2 races and he is in the chase. A lot of ifs, but, ya never know. Does anyone know if there is any coverage of practice, TV or stream.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3096474)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Go Ambrose!!!
Old 22 Jun 2012, 21:32 (Ref:3096596)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downoz View Post
Yes and then he wins Watkins Glen, no one else between 10 and 20 win 2 races and he is in the chase. A lot of ifs, but, ya never know. Does anyone know if there is any coverage of practice, TV or stream.
Qualifying on Foxtel today around 12...
Old 22 Jun 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3096622)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Go Ambrose!!!
He will likely qualify a little ways back and just out race his peers.. if all goes well... a win is not impossible..

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 23 Jun 2012, 01:46 (Ref:3096635)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
He will likely qualify a little ways back and just out race his peers.. if all goes well... a win is not impossible..

well you were wrong with the first part

but i sure hope you are right with the 2nd part
Old 23 Jun 2012, 04:15 (Ref:3096647)   #9
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Very smooth lap it was, fingers crossed he just demoralizes the opposition & the battle for 2nd is magnificent
Old 23 Jun 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3096705)   #10
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Race is on 1HD at 6am-8.30am Monday in Sydney.
Old 23 Jun 2012, 13:20 (Ref:3096779)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Most assuredly, that is step 1 for Taz towards the winners circle...however, as we have seen, anything can happen.

John Paul is within striking distance and having Jeffey G, JJ and the Busch sisters starting not too far behind should worry Tasmanian Terror.

Surprised Robby Gordon had such a poor q-ing run; is his piece not worth a damn or is Robby not?
Old 24 Jun 2012, 14:16 (Ref:3097160)   #12
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Biffle-Said, still feuding? The feud between #16-Greg Biffle and #32-Boris Said apparently hasn't abated. After a collision at Watkins Glen late last season, the two skirmished in the garage area, prompting Said to call Biffle "the most unprofessional scaredy cat I've ever seen. He wouldn't fight me like a man, so if someone texts me his address, I'll go see him and show him what he really needs. He needs a whooping, and I'm going to give it to him." With the two men back in the same race, Biffle said Friday they haven't patched their differences. "We talked on the phone, and it is what it is," he said.(San Francisco Chronicle)(6-23-2012)
Oh, please let them get into it today. C'mon, Boris take out "The Biff"!
Old 25 Jun 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3097530)   #13
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Great drive by Clint Bowyer & Kurt Busch - MWR deserved a race win... Ambrose, dunno, what was wrong - maybe you are better on the ovals these days
Old 25 Jun 2012, 00:45 (Ref:3097533)   #14
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought this race was a bit of a snooze... in fact, i took one.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 00:56 (Ref:3097535)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Vickers performed well and needs a full time ride. I enjoyed the Busch charge towards the end. The so-called ringers aren't all they are cracked up to be this year. No, it wasn't a classic, lack of yellows was probably responsible.

On the subject of Ambrose, having slumped down the order the kiddies hospital doesn't get their million? Fair game toying with mind of a fan but to raise the hopes of a kiddies hospital is a bit below the belt, IMO.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 03:03 (Ref:3097553)   #16
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Are you serious? How many charities & hospital visits do these drivers & sports stars do!
Old 25 Jun 2012, 03:56 (Ref:3097561)   #17
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I thought this race was a bit of a snooze... in fact, i took one.
It was a tyre preservation race.......drive conservatively and look after the black things that are on the road, with few safety cars to close things up until near the end.

Ambrose was chasing set-up right till the end and they only seemed to make it worse.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 04:41 (Ref:3097569)   #18
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
It was a tyre preservation race.......drive conservatively and look after the black things that are on the road, with few safety cars to close things up until near the end.

Ambrose was chasing set-up right till the end and they only seemed to make it worse.
I felt really let down at the end of that race. Something just wasn't in it this year. To make matters worse, I lost $20 to my Dad on Ambrose for the top 3.

It really was boring compared to the Nationwide race at Road America. I love that track! The only thing I was happy about was the last lap pass Tony Stewart pulled on Kurt Busch! But you must say, despite him being a royal pain in the a$$, he did pretty darn well on both road races, especially at Road America where he only had 3 laps before the race!
Old 25 Jun 2012, 05:35 (Ref:3097576)   #19
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

double kiss of death!!!
Old 25 Jun 2012, 05:47 (Ref:3097577)   #20
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post

also trying to save fuel for just 2 stops..

---

Yeah don't know what happened for Ambrose, never had the car to do anything with at least he still finished 8th . Real shame as I was hoping he could boost his wild card chances this morning..
Old 25 Jun 2012, 15:56 (Ref:3097847)   #21
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

Road Racers entered:
Boris, Tomy Drissi, Brian Simo, Robby Gordon and I guess Scott Speed and Brian Vickers can now be considered "ringers".
Back in the days of full Trans Am fields, Boris was usually a tick behind teh top teams, while Drissi and Simo were a bit behind him. Seeing as none of these guys are winning much of anything these days, I don't count them as "ringers" in anything. It would be like calling Eric McLure an "oval ringer". They buy their rides in underwhelming Cup teams and fill the field I guess.

If I were to hire a "road ringer", after watching Ambrose do so well in NASCAR, the ringers would be Australian...

Whincup
Loundes
a Kelly Brother
Van Geisbergen
Slade
Winterbottom
Davidson

Any of the V8 Supercar drivers could outperform Simo and Drissi.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 16:33 (Ref:3097865)   #22
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Instag8or View Post
Back in the days of full Trans Am fields, Boris was usually a tick behind teh top teams, while Drissi and Simo were a bit behind him. Seeing as none of these guys are winning much of anything these days, I don't count them as "ringers" in anything. It would be like calling Eric McLure an "oval ringer". They buy their rides in underwhelming Cup teams and fill the field I guess.

If I were to hire a "road ringer", after watching Ambrose do so well in NASCAR, the ringers would be Australian...

Whincup
Loundes
a Kelly Brother
Van Geisbergen
Slade
Winterbottom
Davidson

Any of the V8 Supercar drivers could outperform Simo and Drissi.
Agreed. Only problem is that I am a friend of Drissi on Facebook, so I am biased.

But seriously, Boris used to be right up there, but what happened to him? Ron Fellows still seems to have his shine, but Boris... no. I don't know why Brian Simo or Drissi are considered road course ringers in the first place. Drissi is a pretty good show in GT cars, but hasn't seemed to adapt well to NASCAR.

Like you said, if I were to hire a "road course ringer" for a cup race, he would be Australian or Kiwi.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 01:03 (Ref:3098149)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Fine, I'll just call them "fill in road racers" from now on, if it's all the same. Sorry for having a term stuck in my mind from yesteryear, but the percentage of regular Cup racers that can win a roadrace has expanded, obviously, with dirttrack racer from Kansas winning on the roadcourse.

Ambrose has been in a NASCAR for over 5 years, 2 of which were spent driving anything but a Cup car, gaining great experience along the way. Simply sticking someone into a car for a one off because they drive well in a car on another continent with the wheel on the wrong side doesn't mean it would translate to success in a Cup car. Even when Ron and Boris had great cars 10 years ago, they never had the strategy or the pit stops to get a victory out of it.

When was the last time a "ringer" won; 73 with Donohue?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 01:27 (Ref:3098153)   #24
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Fine, I'll just call them "fill in road racers" from now on, if it's all the same. Sorry for having a term stuck in my mind from yesteryear, but the percentage of regular Cup racers that can win a roadrace has expanded, obviously, with dirttrack racer from Kansas winning on the roadcourse.

Ambrose has been in a NASCAR for over 5 years, 2 of which were spent driving anything but a Cup car, gaining great experience along the way. Simply sticking someone into a car for a one off because they drive well in a car on another continent with the wheel on the wrong side doesn't mean it would translate to success in a Cup car. Even when Ron and Boris had great cars 10 years ago, they never had the strategy or the pit stops to get a victory out of it.

When was the last time a "ringer" won; 73 with Donohue?
Now I can tell you are from the "Dirty South".
Old 26 Jun 2012, 02:08 (Ref:3098166)   #25
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ambrose has been in a NASCAR for over 5 years, 2 of which were spent driving anything but a Cup car, gaining great experience along the way. Simply sticking someone into a car for a one off because they drive well in a car on another continent with the wheel on the wrong side doesn't mean it would translate to success in a Cup car
agreed 150 million percent