Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 21 Jul 2005, 08:45 (Ref:1359928)   #1
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where to race Jap sports cars ?

what series/championships could you race a Japanese sports car in, with say a 2-3 litre, turbo or non turbo ?

thanks.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1359934)   #2
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Talk to James Tucker (Britcar) for long distance stuff or Rod Birley for the club Stuff...he's a man who knows!
Old 21 Jul 2005, 09:31 (Ref:1359946)   #3
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
yea it was club level i was thinking about, cheers.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 10:18 (Ref:1359965)   #4
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Alternate view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyracing
what series/championships could you race a Japanese sports car in, with say a 2-3 litre, turbo or non turbo ?

thanks.
You could always try the odd sprint or hillclimb! The MSA website calendar of events should point you in the right direction.

Old 21 Jul 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1360009)   #5
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
hmm, i never thought of that but id rather stick to circuit racing.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1360246)   #6
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The castle combe gt caters for almost any type of sports car as long as its a two seater + and there's plenty of competion too ranging from radicals, tuscans, jades even a few saloons thrown in to!
What do you have anything really interesting?
Old 21 Jul 2005, 18:28 (Ref:1360310)   #7
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try Track and Race class S, but not for points - better check with Rod/Andy/Graham that it's still going, and only if the cars even slower than my Astra !
Old 21 Jul 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1360325)   #8
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
thanks for all the suggestions so far. I like the idea of japanese sports cars, in particular a Toyota Supra or Nissan 300zx both of which are fairly cheap to buy now. I've been reading about 750mc Roadsports but then I'd be up against expensive Porsches, looks good though.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 04:05 (Ref:1360551)   #9
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What with automatic transmissions?
Didn't think the 300ZX was available in Europe with a manuel, same goes for the Supra (last shape - older square ones could come with a manuel, but rare)

As for the 750MC Roadsports - yep, agree with that, lots of expensive machinery in the series designed for grassroots low cost motorsport.....

Look! A sportscar daddy. No son, that's a streamlined Morris Oxford (MGB).

Rob.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 06:38 (Ref:1360582)   #10
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
both are available in manual, uk models are probably quite rare but there are plenty of japanese imports.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1360953)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You could race the Supra in the Toyo Tyres Mod prods and get a free set of tyres to start you off if you commit to so many races. Not sure about the 300zx as I know a guy wanted to race one a while back and they put the mockers on it. One of the front runners is pedelling a Colt Starion and goes very well. Heres the deal www.rscc.co.uk
Old 22 Jul 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1360994)   #12
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only issue is that it has to be a UK vehicle. Jap imports are not allowed.

As for the 300zx, yes you can race one, but only on standard size rubber, IF you can find a genuine UK model with a manual (the person wishing to race on in the ModProds was adamant that his was a pukk UK model, and not one with a change of gearbox).

But yes, the Toyo Mod Prods is an excellent home for such a car. It'll add some sparkle to the series.

Will it be "Fast & Furious"?

Rob.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1361019)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
No problems with a Jap deriritive in the ModProds (Toyo) and there is a rule in there somewhere, re Autoboxes I know I wrote it!
Old 22 Jul 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1361031)   #14
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyracing

thanks.
are you looking to run in a championship or just do a few races?

saloon cars seem to have more opertunities for club racing, do you have a car already or are you going to buy one to suit wherever your racing?
Old 24 Jul 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1362243)   #15
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just confirm the 'issue' on the Supra/300ZX and automatic gearboxes in the Toyo Tyres Modified Production Saloons.

Whilst it would preferable to be able to prove that the gearbox had a manual option in the UK, providing you can prove that the car was available from the factory SOMEWHERE with a manual box in standard form will be good enough.

The purpose of the rule was to stop people changing the vehicle into a 'bitsa' which opens up all sorts of expense for the competitor. It was NOT intended to stop cars in an easily available format from racing, even if they weren't originally available in this country (eg the current proliferation of jap imports).

For info I race a Toyota Corolla GT RWD in the series (when the wife isn't in the process of giving birth and my Dad isn't getting hit by trees. Roll on Rockingham)!

Edited due to birth induced sleep deprevation errors. Apologies if there are any more.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 05:29 (Ref:1362525)   #16
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom
Edited due to birth induced sleep deprevation errors. Apologies if there are any more.
Do I take it that congratulations are in order?

Are you going to Lydden on 6th August?

Did that 300SX ever get out after all of the controversy at the meeting?

Rob.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 06:10 (Ref:1362541)   #17
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Yes. Usual answers - Gemma Rose Bassom, 7lb 5oz, 51 hours labour then a c section, all doing fine.

Depends on the next couple of days, not helped by my dumb Dad managed to get a bit squashed by a tree so not totally sure. Will definately be at Rockingham onwards.

Mr 300ZX got told he could come out, told lots of people that he was told otherwise and hasn't raced anything anywhere else. Draw your own conclusions.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1362912)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
This point with the 300ZX was raised somewhile ago I believe after I left the club, personally I would have let it race but then I would have also let Seirra Cosworth's race (not twin injector, T4 Turbo RS500's) as long as they were restricted to the Borg Warner T5 dodgy gearbox with u/s ratios and standard turbos as the regs said they would be I could not see the problem but was overuled.

Another one I wanted to race was John Warren wanted to build a Cosworth Scorpio but as that was only built with an auto gearbox apart from some police models I understand, the committee would not allow it in with a standard V6 Scorpio manual trans. Big mistake in my opinion and I voted to allow it, you need cars like this in specially from the likes of John who would have made a superb job of it and I think the proposal was well within the spirit of the rules.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1363177)   #19
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Al - Sierra Cosworths can, and do, now race in the series. Seems you were ahead of your time!

The whole gearbox thing is a tricky one. Where does the series move from genuine production saloons to something less accessible for the majority of people who don't have the facilities for potentially significant engineering projects?

I think the term you coined "within the spirit of the rules" is a good one but for a proper MSA Championship this would be difficult to police.

I certainly advocate a freeing up of the rules, perhaps with some 'more modified' classes for people who want to go that bit further.

I have no doubt there will be some interesting discussions at this years AGM!
Old 25 Jul 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1363249)   #20
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Can I run my belmont then?
Old 26 Jul 2005, 08:38 (Ref:1363554)   #21
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Rob - Turn up to the AGM and argue your case!
Old 26 Jul 2005, 09:40 (Ref:1363604)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
If its anything like the old days, sign up about 10 of your mates to the club, the more voiceferous the better, turn up at the meeting and make a lot of noise and you will get what ever you want!

Joking aside (I was honest) I must add I think that Gerry probably and more correctly runs it a bit more autocratically than I did, I used to let a vote of hands at the agm set the agenda and to an extent the regulations and I am afraid to say some drivers have to be protected from themselves as it has been proved given a free rein they can do imeasurable damage to their wallets and still not have a winning car, (witness the non turboed Cosworths!!! not one I wanted in and just don't work however much you throw at them especially with silly overdrive ratios in a T5 toffee geared box).
Old 26 Jul 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1363710)   #23
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
woody you just got loaded or something?
Old 26 Jul 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1364129)   #24
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
no
I'm just looking into it. Probably in standard trim cause modifiying Supras etc aint cheap!
Old 26 Jul 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1364151)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I think that was the guys objective who wanted to race in ModProds, basically just a rechipped blue printed engine and uprated brakes and suspension without going overboard. Least that was the argument put forward.