Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 9 Aug 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1678503)   #26
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
That's the point. No one knows anymore. Around 2-3-4 years a go it had huge crowds big marketing had good TV coverge now its dying.
I think that is the problem with the SCSA at the moment, in that no one wants to or can't promote it to a wider audience. Given that the race meetings seem to be quite weak, with not many races and poor grids (I believe that only the Pick Ups and Uniroyal Fun Cup have been able to muster grids above 15 cars - although this will probably change with the Formula Fords and GTs) it is perhaps not surprising that spectators who regularly attend race meetings chose to go elsewhere. Therefore SCSA is left in a difficult situation in that it needs support, but the actual product available isn't strong enough to attract it. That said, if a way could be found to rectify this situation and perhaps combined with some of the innovations outlined by ss_collins then the Rockingham events could become exceedingly popular again.
Old 9 Aug 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1678583)   #27
Peter Wardle
Rookie

Peter Wardle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Sam, I'd like to have seen it, but you cant get away from the massive operating costs of F3 especially with the engine escalation.
Andy - have you any idea how much it costs to run IRL or Champ Cars! Old cars are just as expensive as new ones to run so its a non starter, though we are using a Champ Car derived chassis as their safety standards exceed Formula One in some areas. Its the same basic chassis as is being used in GP Masters.
Old 9 Aug 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1678667)   #28
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well I think it is all academic anyhow as Barrett Homes now owns Rockingham so I recon it has a year or so at the most till its pulled down & housed over :-(
Old 11 Aug 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1680143)   #29
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Doesn't Mallory have an oval that could be used?

IF the series is a Euro stock car series---and the so called US stock cars are based on two-door models that do not exist---why not, well, Bently still has the push-rod V-8, that I am sure it can put out the ponies with the best from the US, and Mercedes has two-valve racing cylinder heads for its loooong running two cam V-8.(the SOHC really gives no advantage)

If it runs in Europe, why not let Brit and Euro engineed cars in also?

Bob
Old 11 Aug 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1680151)   #30
acorn
Rookie

England
acorn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
joey foster's accident was reported on the recaro formel 3 website and it said he ran over the kerb on the inside of turn 1. looking at the pictures of turn 1, to do that he had to be over half a car width below the white line so i don't think that oval racing can be blamed. hit the kerb on the inside off paddock hill bend at brands and you can invert.
it is also my understanding that current f3 dallaras are oval crash tested.

running scsa and vsr/silhouettes together has been dismissed and quite rightly so because of the speed differential.

the lausitz f3 race is showing on n-tv on 14th aug (which you can also get on your computer). hopefully it will be shown on one of sky's motorsport programmes.

ps how'd the rookie test go rob?
Old 12 Aug 2006, 14:28 (Ref:1680663)   #31
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rookie test - what rookie test.

It's a political hot potato at the moment, I won't discuss it much on here as it's dirty laundry that needs to be cleaned "in house".

There are a number of us ready to go and do our rookie training.

The person tasked with organising it hasn't.

The reasons are "dirty laundry".

I am still hoping to get out for at least one round this year, fingers crossed the person tasked with making the rookie training happen will do it before the Ovalfest (9/10 Sept). Until then, I shall loiter around with intent.

Colin White phoned me last week to confirm my interest, and there are a number of very reasonably priced drives available for the next round. They are hoping to have up to 18 cars on the grid at the Ovalfest.

I'm still pushing ahead with my plans for a full season of EERC V8 Supercars for next year, as well as SCSA if the budget allows. Over winter, I'm starting on a new car for the V8's. If I manage to purchase a SCSA car in the meantime, I'll do that as well (pending clashing events).

There are 8 cars on the SCSA grid this weekend, which is shame to see.
US Automotive and Tor Trucks have put money in the pot to cover the entry fees for the rest of the season, providing that 10 cars reach the grid, so there's an incentive to be out there. Free entries.

I read somewhere that from 2007, the Busch Grand National series may spread it's wings further afield. There was talk at one point of it coming over here!! Now that, 43cars, on the Rock would be awesome!! It'd have to be run under NASCAR permits, as I don't think the MSA permit allows that many to start. Pit lane would be very cramped too.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1680683)   #32
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
I read somewhere that from 2007, the Busch Grand National series may spread it's wings further afield. There was talk at one point of it coming over here!!
I think you mean the plan with the "car of tomorrow" in NASCAR, basicly the current cup cars will be run in the Busch series & the current Busch cars will be used in regional championships (possibly including South America, Canada & Britain).
Old 12 Aug 2006, 15:21 (Ref:1680688)   #33
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would love to involved somehow if you purchase a scsa car racing59.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1680690)   #34
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could always pay for it for me!!!! Now that's involved!!!

(and you didn't see that one coming!!)

Rob.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 18:30 (Ref:1680755)   #35
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Rob can I have a job at your place, you must be minted mate :-).

8 cars, thats sad, there was only 9 when I when I raced there in July then one went very hard into the wall so then there was 8!
Old 14 Aug 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1682356)   #36
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
ian_c_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
10 cars made it to the grid... and it's nowhere near enough.

The pickups were (as a spectator) far better racing, and that was due to numbers - there were 26 of them, and would have been better with more still.

I'm not sure what the maximum rockingham can run, or what the US series run, but racing "in packs" made for much more of a spectacle on the oval.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 09:21 (Ref:1683012)   #37
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
I agree Ian. There are lots of political issues that I won't discuss on here. It's not the right place to air dirty laundry.

Hopefully we'll see 18 cars on the grid for September. I'm committed to it (subject to the rookie training which MUST happen this time - I've only been waiting since March last year!)

We are all hoping that next year sees a return to 20 car (or more) fields.

Rob.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1683060)   #38
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
ian_c_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you know if there is a "maximum" number the oval can support?
Old 15 Aug 2006, 12:04 (Ref:1683139)   #39
acorn
Rookie

England
acorn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_c_uk
Do you know if there is a "maximum" number the oval can support?
i have a motorsport news article(dated 11/01/06) about the revisions (generally upwards)to max msa licensed grid sizes. it applies mainly to saloons and sportscars and at rockingham i believe it is 36 on the oval(up from 32),36(from 34) on the int. long and international, 32 (from 30)on the historic and 30 (from 28)on the national. not sure what it is on the new configuration used by the gts but would imagine it is 34

rob- sorry to hear about the problems with getting the rookie test. hopefully colin white can move things along. politics (both racing and local area) seem to be bugging this series and it really deserves better. the pickups are showing what a good size grid of similar cars can serve up on the oval.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1683699)   #40
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
those maximums only apply to MSA permit events - if spedeworth wanted to run on the big oval they decide the max grid
Old 21 Aug 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1688367)   #41
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ASCE won't happen. 100k per car!!!!!

Unless they have a sponsor with deep pockets who is committed for the long term (5-10 years) it won't get off the ground.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1689044)   #42
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
agreed
Old 22 Aug 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1689092)   #43
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Rookie training has been pencilled in for Sept 1st. Yeeee harrrrrrrr
Looks like at least 4 of us doing it - all to do SCSA at the Ovalfest.

Rob.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 00:30 (Ref:1724801)   #44
Scott Moyse
Racer

England
Whangarei, New Zealand
Scott Moyse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
German F3 video clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn
the lausitz f3 race is showing on n-tv on 14th aug (which you can also get on your computer). hopefully it will be shown on one of sky's motorsport programmes.
do you have any links to the german f3 coverage on the internet? i looked on the n-tv and couldn't see anything although i can't speak german so that prob didn't help, i have been hanging out to see some coverage of joeys majestic racing this year!!!
Old 27 Oct 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1751347)   #45
tony s
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
tony s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Presentation 7 November ???
Web page http://www.ascerace.com/ASCE/Welcome.html
Old 27 Oct 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1751362)   #46
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would appear that Mr Mass is serious on this. i see Rockingham in the fixtures list, has anyone from Rockingham been asked about giving a race date to this series?
Old 27 Oct 2006, 19:45 (Ref:1751440)   #47
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It has been a while since the last news. Because of the Charger photo I get the impression there's some support from Dodge.

No mention of (live) TV coverage.

@Tony S: Welkom op Ten-Tenths.

Last edited by FIRE; 27 Oct 2006 at 19:49.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1751454)   #48
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
it is also worth pointing out that Mr Mass is no mug. though i agree that 100000 is a lot of money, more than i could spend, i refuse to beleive he would have done this on the off-chance that some would spend that kind of money. he must have aproached some touring car or gt teams or even F1, to see if it is viable.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1751537)   #49
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Just how did they manage to design such a pig ugly car.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 23:25 (Ref:1751582)   #50
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
dont think they designed it. its a cup car.