Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Mar 2014, 10:08 (Ref:3375699)   #51
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
NRL holds games at surburban grounds every week. (State Of Origin is more in comparison with Bathurst, rather than a normal V8 round)
Sure, but they schedule those according to projected capacity. They don't put their blockbusters on suburban grounds. And the comparison is V8s to other motorsport categories in Australia - therefore the SOO reference is the more accurate.

Quote:
What makes Wakefield Park or Mallala less suitable than Symmons Plains or Wannaroo?
Haven't been to 3 of them so can't compare. See my earlier point about WP's capacity - 5,000 the place would be packed and you'd need 5 times that as a minimum.
Quote:
Who is bagging V8Supercars for supporting the building of permanent venues?
Previous posters
Quote:
I'm just asking where their support has been for the existing permanent circuits they have happily run away from ever since the 'world was saved' in 1997?
New CEO, new attitude.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 11:08 (Ref:3375730)   #52
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Equally, you wouldn't take Muscle Car Masters or several other events there because if you got 5000 spectators to that place the joint would be packed.
Procar in 2001 had something like 12,000 fans and by all accounts it handled it pretty well
Old 6 Mar 2014, 11:16 (Ref:3375733)   #53
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
[QUOTE=D.R.T.;3375730]Procar in 2001 had something like 12,000 fans and by all accounts it handled it pretty well[/QUO

How many did they get the 2nd year?
Old 6 Mar 2014, 15:10 (Ref:3375816)   #54
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchuk View Post
There's more than a grain of truth in that.

I remember well, an interview between Darrell Waltrip & Dale Earhardt Jnr / Tony Stewart when DW got back to America AFTER his trip around Bathurst in a V8Supercar with Jason Bright a couple years ago, and they played that clip to the NASCAR drivers, who said they'd LOVE to experience something like that.

Imagine going in to support a Sprint Cup NASCAR Road Race like at the Glen, and involving perhaps NASCAR drivers as co-drivers for an endurance event, to assist in promotion for V8Supercars not just here but in the US - potentially a hugely lucrative market as the traditional 'Home of the V8'.

The fans would love it, the NASCAR drivers would also be in it in a flash .... practical logistics aside for the moment, if V8Supercars could tie up an arrangement like that (and with friends like Roger Penske & his possible involvement here with a V8Supercar team potentially in the future) I think it would be a very exciting possibility and a pointer to perhaps future support status for the biggest form of Motorsport in the US.

Seriously, if you're going to go overseas, and if it were possible, you might as well tie in with the biggest, most popular form of Motorsport in that country - none bigger than NASCAR and with Australia already having a competing driver with Marcos Ambrose there, along with bit parts played by other drivers over the years, it would fit really well with our theme - V8's, big noise, exciting road racing.

Just a whimsical thought, that's all ...
A Friday or Saturday evening twilight two driver enduro at the Glen on Nascar weekend would be incredible. They ran a twilight Daytona Prototype race there quite a few years ago on the short course following Sprint Cup qualifying, and it was awesome.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 21:32 (Ref:3375919)   #55
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Procar in 2001 had something like 12,000 fans and by all accounts it handled it pretty well
couldnt help to think that 12000 sounded familiar
thats bigger than the crowd they got at the so called "Australia's premier motorsport event" earlier this year

so even wakefield park is bigger in the rankings
Old 6 Mar 2014, 22:17 (Ref:3375938)   #56
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
12,000 at a Procar event at Wakefield... I think they took their crowd counting methods from the V8 handbook and added a few tweaks of their own.

And 'handled it' is a very subjective term.

But anyway - why do you think V8s should go there?
Old 7 Mar 2014, 08:22 (Ref:3376043)   #57
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Haven't been to 3 of them so can't compare. See my earlier point about WP's capacity - 5,000 the place would be packed and you'd need 5 times that as a minimum.
Is Wakefield Park one of the three you haven't been too?

It would be very easy to make Wakefield Park handle as many fans as needed

Quote:
[
New CEO, new attitude.
And the new CEO's attitude seems to be wanting other people to spend money building new tracks instead of spending money to upgrade tracks we already have and V8s don't use.

I notice they've even 'offered' Mr Skaife to design the tracks...... smells abit like F1 and Mr Tilke....
Old 8 Mar 2014, 01:23 (Ref:3376363)   #58
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Is Wakefield Park one of the three you haven't been too?

It would be very easy to make Wakefield Park handle as many fans as needed

And the new CEO's attitude seems to be wanting other people to spend money building new tracks instead of spending money to upgrade tracks we already have and V8s don't use.

I notice they've even 'offered' Mr Skaife to design the tracks...... smells abit like F1 and Mr Tilke....
I've been to Wakefield many times. I know the guy who designed and built it, I know the guy who ran it for many years. And you might 'be able to make it' - sure if you want to invest. But as it stands - no it couldn't handle (not fit) the 25,000 people you'd need to even try and make the event viable.

And the new CEO's attitude is to offer their support of other's people's projects that are completely independent of them. They're trying to be a motorsport community player after years of isolationism.

But yes - offering Mark Skaife as track designer at $4000 a day is probably not the type of help they're after. I'd sooner hire Klark Quinn after his efforts at the family racetrack in NZ. He did a cracking job with it.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 19:49 (Ref:3376509)   #59
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re Macau I gather years ago a TWR XJS could only get around the hairpin with a "Scandinavian flick" which was not that easy on a slow out lap!

How about coming to Silverstone? They rolled out the red carpet when DJR bought the RS500 up.

Maybe Mondello the following weekend with a massive party in Dublin in between!
Old 8 Mar 2014, 22:49 (Ref:3376571)   #60
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Re Macau I gather years ago a TWR XJS could only get around the hairpin with a "Scandinavian flick" which was not that easy on a slow out lap!

How about coming to Silverstone? They rolled out the red carpet when DJR bought the RS500 up.

again, they're not allowed to run in Europe.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 02:31 (Ref:3376912)   #61
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post

GT3 cars run there.

How much tighter is it than the hairpin at symmons plains? V8SCs handle that ok.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 03:54 (Ref:3376923)   #62
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
GT3 cars run there.

How much tighter is it than the hairpin at symmons plains? V8SCs handle that ok.
Tighter again, but as you said the GT3 cars do handle it. Whether it needs a special technique or not I don't know.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 07:03 (Ref:3376955)   #63
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the TWR XJS at Macau, here is some footage of it. The Melco Hairpin comes up at about 1:32s. Seems to get around ok (well, as good as any of the others)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Wtjshszxg

In the past few years for some classes racing there, the Melco hairpin has been a permanent yellow flag zone.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 10:52 (Ref:3377023)   #64
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Regarding the TWR XJS at Macau, here is some footage of it. The Melco Hairpin comes up at about 1:32s. Seems to get around ok (well, as good as any of the others)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Wtjshszxg

In the past few years for some classes racing there, the Melco hairpin has been a permanent yellow flag zone.
Not sure they have that much room now, it looks smaller than that these days.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3377041)   #65
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8s at Macau would be absolute carnage and a horrendous idea. Couldn't see more than 40% green flag running and more than 10 cars finishing even a medium length race.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 14:18 (Ref:3377093)   #66
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8's at WP? They must be selling some good drugs this year.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 06:41 (Ref:3377313)   #67
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
V8's at WP? They must be selling some good drugs this year.
Was good enough for the Development Series to race there
Old 11 Mar 2014, 06:56 (Ref:3377316)   #68
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Was good enough for the Development Series to race there
It may have escaped your notice but they no longer do so. Have you ever raced there yourself? Obviously not if you propose that V8's race there, it is not suitable for the cars in track construction and not suitable for any decent spectator roll up in that it has a distinct lack of facilities. In winter when the ground freezes and the water does not flow the toilets are unusable in the early AM. It is a great track for what it is and has some of the best facilities for club level stuff in Australia but as a track for what is supposed to be the premier racing class in Oz it does not wash. I would hate to have to entertain corporate sponsors as there are no facilities to do so. Seriously some of you guys ought to get out and have a look at some of the permanent tracks and see how deficient they are in every way.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 07:29 (Ref:3377326)   #69
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It may have escaped your notice but they no longer do so. Have you ever raced there yourself? Obviously not if you propose that V8's race there, it is not suitable for the cars in track construction and not suitable for any decent spectator roll up in that it has a distinct lack of facilities. In winter when the ground freezes and the water does not flow the toilets are unusable in the early AM. It is a great track for what it is and has some of the best facilities for club level stuff in Australia but as a track for what is supposed to be the premier racing class in Oz it does not wash. I would hate to have to entertain corporate sponsors as there are no facilities to do so. Seriously some of you guys ought to get out and have a look at some of the permanent tracks and see how deficient they are in every way.
Corporates arent important are they?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Mar 2014, 07:40 (Ref:3377330)   #70
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Corporates arent important are they?
In my experience some think they are more important than others and have an ego to match.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 07:50 (Ref:3377331)   #71
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Bloody whinger!

What's wrong with some bungarra on the barbie and half a dozen flagons of Woobla on ice for your guests?
Old 11 Mar 2014, 11:37 (Ref:3377384)   #72
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
How much of this thread have you read?

Every mention of Wakefield Park has included the word 'upgrades'! No one has said that the V8Supercar Championship should race there as is!

The question was why V8Supercars were backing money getting poured into brand new facilities rather than first upgrading tracks that already exist.

For the record i've been to Wakefield Park many many times, and would happily attend a V8Supercar race there.... but i'm just a race fan who rates a race on what happens on the track, not how 'glitzy' things do or don't look off it.

Also wasn't the reason the Development Series stopped going to Wakefield Park the fact that V8Supercars didn't want to have standalone rounds for the DVS anymore, rather than anything to do with the tracks? The DVS races there produced great action.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 11:46 (Ref:3377386)   #73
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I went there when they ran DVS in either '01 or '02. By the time you cater for support race competitors, you could not swing a cat in the pits. It was borderline chaotic.

In saying that, it's a lovely little venue as it is. It just wouldn't be feesible to pour the amount of money into it, required to bring it up to scratch to host the main game there.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3377391)   #74
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
How much of this thread have you read?

Every mention of Wakefield Park has included the word 'upgrades'! No one has said that the V8Supercar Championship should race there as is!

The question was why V8Supercars were backing money getting poured into brand new facilities rather than first upgrading tracks that already exist.

For the record i've been to Wakefield Park many many times, and would happily attend a V8Supercar race there.... but i'm just a race fan who rates a race on what happens on the track, not how 'glitzy' things do or don't look off it.

Also wasn't the reason the Development Series stopped going to Wakefield Park the fact that V8Supercars didn't want to have standalone rounds for the DVS anymore, rather than anything to do with the tracks? The DVS races there produced great action.
firstly the question was "what international tracks we should run on.

However to answer your question v8 supercars are backing money getting poured into new circuits and existing circuits
V8 SUPERCARS PUSHING NEW PERMANENT VENUES

Quote:
In Adelaide at the weekend, Warburton was keen to stress V8 Supercars’ keenness to assist existing permanent Australian venues when it comes to attracting government funding.
howver you may be aware that there is an election in SA soon (next weekend) and one of the issues is the propsed facility at Tailem Bend, naturally V8 supercars has come out in support of this facility which is a very relevant issue at the time of clipsal and this announcment that was made from SA
Old 11 Mar 2014, 11:59 (Ref:3377392)   #75
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
It just wouldn't be feesible to pour the amount of money into it, required to bring it up to scratch to host the main game there.
What exactly makes it unfeasible to upgrade the place?