Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Jun 2004, 14:19 (Ref:997340)   #26
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did I find a Mallett website? You race Fords?
I shall have to wash my mouth out with soap. I'm so rude about all post Model A fords (I trialled one for years) except of course a GT40!

Steve McQueen.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 14:24 (Ref:997346)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by eclectic
I could use a twincam spider, circa 1971, 1600cc twin webers in the HSCC 70's series and Julius's GTA Challenge.....
So there's the answer then.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:01 (Ref:997381)   #28
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Eclectic . . . .many of us race Fords . . .its the 'C's

Its what most Dads had when we where

Children

and they're comparitively Cheap

Competitive

you might add Corroded to that list as well !
Old 8 Jun 2004, 16:23 (Ref:997482)   #29
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
My only experience of a Ford in the '70's was a 1600 Capri hired from Hertz in an emergency, driving down the A1 near Berwick the entire instrument binnacle detatched itself and swung down under the steering wheel. The car had 650 miles on the clock! I was doing about 80 mph approaching a bend at the time.

You can imagine it rather put me off them, though the Borham specials out rallying were rather impressive!

My, well, yes, ummm yes, mouthwash now used, I have to admit that they can be made to go rather well
though!

Steve McQueen.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 16:48 (Ref:997506)   #30
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just a quick thing about homologating Fiats - I think you'll find the only papers around are to Group 4 Rally spec.

However, a Fiat 124 Coupe (or Spider for that matter) would I think be perfectly acceptable for an HSCC Roadsports series. This weekend I was watching one of their races and boggling at a Ford Mustang Mach 1, a 1978 Pontiac Trans Am and a Maserati Merak whizzing round Silverstone. And if any of those had homologation papers in period I'm James Allen.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 18:41 (Ref:997625)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Mach 1 was homologated for Group 5(?). As to the others well that was the point really. We'd got on to the Top Hat series and they run to CTCRC/HSCC App K and FIA regs (not in any order of precedence).

The new 70's saloons is I'm informed proposed to run Group 1 regs and for that you need a car homologated for App J Group 1.

So Mike can run his Fiat (interesting choice BTW) but as you say it doesn't fit in any "FIA" class but that doesn't matter.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 11:42 (Ref:998323)   #32
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

So Mike can run his Fiat (interesting choice BTW) but as you say it doesn't fit in any "FIA" class but that doesn't matter.
well said, it doesnt matter at all . . .I think anything prepared in 'period' specification should be positively encouraged, the trouble starts when somebody turns up in what is effectively a shadow of the cars original form, whilst it may not necesserily break the rules, which are often 'loose' at best. Its not exactly in the spirit.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 12:11 (Ref:998344)   #33
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Yes there are some very loose interpretations over here in France. I have seen what are effectively 'silhouette' racers on wide slicks purporting to be 'historic', notably once a Panhard Tigra!

I just have such good memories of my Twinkie Coupe' which I had in period, and my Spider which was about 10 years ago, that I felt it should be fun to race one, in standard form they were no slouches and handled wondefully so properly prepared they might even be able to run vigourously in the midfield.

They are not too dear, though being LHD may be a disadvantage on a Spider. Now I will have to find a rot free 1598cc (1971/1973) with twin Webers to prepare for 2005.

If I prepare it to FIA standards I ought to be able to use it in Europe too.

Steve McQueen.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 13:12 (Ref:998422)   #34
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Is there any one of the forum who uses a Fiat Twincam in his Lancia Beta Coupe' I want to know what the practical difference is between the twin Webers and the two barrel solex carburettor.

Steve McQueen.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 13:51 (Ref:998462)   #35
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
webers are good and solex is ****

thats an educated guess by the way !

I think you'll find the Webers have a much broader spectrum with regarding to tuning and availability

as for finding a rust free 70's Fiat . . . .GOOD LUCK !
Old 9 Jun 2004, 14:19 (Ref:998491)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
What about Dellorto's? Aren't they even better?
Old 10 Jun 2004, 08:02 (Ref:999374)   #37
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the 70's roadsports is really a series for any sportscar regardless asto whether it had period history. If you are after an Italian FIA papered tintop you could buy my Alfa Romeo Gulia Ti Super. Built by Bob Dove and previously driven by Jon Dooley in the FIA Championship it should fit the bill well!
Old 10 Jun 2004, 12:51 (Ref:999627)   #38
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Is that the blue one?

Steve McQueen.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 13:25 (Ref:999658)   #39
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
blue with a lighter blue strip down the middle - I had it out at Silverstone last weekend but three year old tyres where making drifting at the corners at best exciting with the resulting disappointing lap times
Old 10 Jun 2004, 13:33 (Ref:999664)   #40
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Very good of you not to blame the oil spread about by VSCC cars, or was it before they went out?

Steve McQueen.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 14:05 (Ref:999703)   #41
simon drabble
Veteran

have to say that the only oil I encountered was from cars within my own race, in the historic saloons someone left an oil slick at copse and in the BRDC on Sunday someone put a load down on the corner where you go back onto the GP circuit, copse i had been warned about the BRDC one I discovered and had a very sideways moment as a result! Fortunately its a fairly slow part of the course!
Old 15 Jun 2004, 12:06 (Ref:1004624)   #42
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I dont know why Peter but the Dellortos seem to work better on some engines, generally webers are most responsive, one of the weaknesses with the solex is that the butterfly shaft runs in the housing, not a bearing, therefore wears and causes variable airleaks, therefore making fine tuning almost impossible, generally I'm sure they run fine though.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1004733)   #43
simon drabble
Veteran

didnt Arbath race in period the 124 Spider? Or was it just rallied?
Old 15 Jun 2004, 13:33 (Ref:1004744)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I believe it was a 124 Saloon in Group 4 Rally Trim.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 15:18 (Ref:1004889)   #45
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Yes, but was the 124 Arbath run in any international race?

Steve McQueen.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1004951)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Don't think so.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 16:06 (Ref:1004953)   #47
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Every website say "Rally" or "Rallye" so I don't believe it ever raced.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 16:16 (Ref:1004965)   #48
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Pity...

On Friday, I'm going to look at the remains of a British built special fitted with a Mercury flathead engine that has a clear history in International events. Not an Allard sadly.

Might be fun, a friend saved it from scrapping about twenty years ago.

Steve McQueen.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 19:10 (Ref:1012467)   #49
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Now that I've seen it, the V8 special was a rusty death trap, poorly engineered, it killed its creator and two spectators, and I'm not giving it the chance to do the same to me!

On a different tack...... SIATA

Does anyone know anything about the 1300 or 1500 Siata coupe's from 1962 or so?

Were they any good?

Is that Fiat engine tunable?

Did anyone use them in international competition so FIA papers might be obtainable?

Last edited by eclectic; 22 Jun 2004 at 19:13.

Steve McQueen.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 04:56 (Ref:1015535)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Eclectic,

Why not go for Simon's Alfa?