Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Jun 2004, 12:33 (Ref:1015836)   #1
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
C R Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
40's/50's Indy Car for Hillclimbing/Sprints.

Has anyone here in the UK actively campaigned, or observed an American single seater Indy car from the 1940's -1950's period, competing on a historic,hillclimb
sprint or race.
The only one I know about is the 60's Turtle drilling Special.
I'd relish the opportunity to build/restore one of these cars for speed Hillclimbing. I hope it might make an interesting change in the padddock and wonder, after a bit of development how effective, cars like these might be around tight hairpins that predominate at Prescott, Harewood, Loton etc.
A serious enquiry, so any help or leads for available cars gratefully acknowledged.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 06:42 (Ref:1016585)   #2
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Norm Olsen Special, which IIRC dates from around 1948, has also, on an off, been a familiar competitor in UK historic races over the past few years
Not my idea of the ideal hillclimb car, but something like that would certainly add interest!

Last edited by David McKinney; 26 Jun 2004 at 06:43.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 21:30 (Ref:1018125)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
WE've had a couple of old Indycars at Shelsley - not my speciality, so I couldn't tell you which - but they were gorgeous and I'd love to see more.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 09:22 (Ref:1018491)   #4
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
C R Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys
Went to Goodwood on Saturday. A couple of Indy cars in the Cathederal Paddock, which we didn't even discover until we were on the way out at 7.00pm. Unfortunately the cars were covered but one was an offy special, I think.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 11:57 (Ref:1018667)   #5
Dick Willis
Rookie

Dick Willis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dean Butler has been here in Australia with the Jim Robbins Special which was on pole at Indy in 1955. The huge Offy engine is apparently from Mauri Rose's Blue Crown Special which won in 1948.

The car went like a rocket and handled quite well on the tight Winton circuit in May with its best lap time being only a couple of seconds slower than that of the winning car, certainly a circuit with longer straights would have enabled it to take advantage of its massive power ( in excess of 400bhp I believe ), yes, it does have potential.
Apparently prices of this era Indy car have risen dramatically over the past few years, and for good reason.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 17:09 (Ref:1026955)   #6
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Guyatt has one, excellent thing, here is a reference to it.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ga..._spring_start/

Steve McQueen.