Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 10 Mar 2007, 21:53 (Ref:1863349)   #1
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PS3, no, 360, no, wii, no, PS3....

Arrrgghhh I cant decide what console I want, its between PS3 and Xbox 360.

I let myself whatch the PS3 adverts about blu ray and that amazed me, then i see that GTR2 and RACE are coming out for 360, then I see that GT5 on the PS3 will have Ferraris, then I see the price of the PS3 and the games for it, then I go back to Xbox! Then i see motorstorm, then I see forza, then I see F1CS, then I see PGR3!!!! ARRRGHHHHHHH!!

Anyway, what would you buy and why?
Old 10 Mar 2007, 22:05 (Ref:1863358)   #2
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, none of them yet. PS3 will be lots cheaper by the time GT5 is out (remember how late GT4 was ), and all the other sims/games that are out there (that interest me, anyway) are on PC. So for me, the earliest I'll be getting a next gen console is when GT5 comes out - and maybe not even then, depending on what I hear about it.

I don't really care about blu-ray in itself, Forza and PGR don't really appeal, so I can wait....
Old 10 Mar 2007, 22:43 (Ref:1863374)   #3
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
when i start working, i will be getting a XBOX 360 just for test drive unlimited and PGR 3 and Forza 2
Old 11 Mar 2007, 00:31 (Ref:1863424)   #4
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll wait, i have more important things to buy. I might end up with a PS3, although i won't buy it just for GT5. I have my race sims on the PC, so i don't desperately feel the need for any of these games.

Who knows, it all depends on price really.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 01:09 (Ref:1863436)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
360 is the best all rounder.

Wii is very original but a tad gimmicky after a couple of months.

PS3 is very powerful. But personally I find Blu Ray capability about as essential as having rabies.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1863598)   #6
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
360 is the best all rounder.
I agree there, plus Xbox Live is fantastic.

Quote:
Wii is very original but a tad gimmicky after a couple of months.
The Wii is very good, but if you want a main gaming machine I wouldn't get one, yet. Its a bit of an all rounder with quirky controls and much fun can be had with your friends. I use mine for internet browsing and downloading classic games as much as playing actual Wii games themselves. Its for when I don't want to get too involved on my PC, like racing sims or playing... World of Warcraft

Quote:
PS3 is very powerful. But personally I find Blu Ray capability about as essential as having rabies.
If I had 500 quid spare, or whatever its going to cost on launch, I'd rather use the money to upgrade my PC. However, rabies is essential IMO as the saying goes "You don't have to be mad to post here, but it helps!"

Personally I would go for an Xbox360 because for driving games it is better like PGR3 (not a sim, but fun) and Forza 2 is coming out for it. More importantly its actually reasonably priced.

On PS3 you have Ridge Racer. Need I say more? Okay, so GT5 will be out for it, but to me these days its just eye candy. GT1/2/3 made progress, but after that its probably more of the same with no damage modelling or anything like that.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 14:43 (Ref:1863639)   #7
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun
Its for when I don't want to get too involved on my PC, like racing sims or playing... World of Warcraft

Get out.

The 360 is very good, and probably the one i'd buy.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1863971)   #8
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i wouldnt buy any and stick to the PC and rfactor and lfs

however i would be inclined to buy a PS3. love the games that come out on the sony consoles, and i have personally found the ps's better. but still i love racing on oc, its much better. like metioned, i would rather spend my money on upgrading my PC.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 22:07 (Ref:1864002)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It really depends though. If you restrict yourself to racing sims then PC is the way to go for sure.

If you are a proper gamer, then consoles are the way forward.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 22:14 (Ref:1864021)   #10
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
It really depends though. If you restrict yourself to racing sims then PC is the way to go for sure.

If you are a proper gamer, then consoles are the way forward.
ive persoanly found the ps2, and f1 to be great fun racing against your mates when they come round. but i like to race things that feel real, aracade yes is fun, but sometimes fustrating for people like me

i love playing f1 on ps2 with my friends, great laugh and good fun. but when im on my own i dont go near it.

i have always found aracade games a bit easy. whereas sims seem more of a challenge.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 22:29 (Ref:1864053)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Hell, I like a sim as much as anybody.

But it's too easy for folk to label arcadey games as easy. It really depends what game. And besides, there is more to life than driving games!
Old 11 Mar 2007, 23:48 (Ref:1864172)   #12
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hell, I like a sim as much as anybody.

But it's too easy for folk to label arcadey games as easy. It really depends what game. And besides, there is more to life than driving games!
Its funny, I've found being a simmer can be a disadvantage (for me at least). A friend of mine who likes his driving games but prefers them on consoles beats me 9 times out of 10 if we play PGR3 on the 360 or GT4 on the PS2.

But I beat him on sims (GPL/GTR/GTR2).
Old 11 Mar 2007, 23:50 (Ref:1864173)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well I personally struggle a bit on PGR3 online. I can win often, but when I come up against a real pro I'm stuffed.

It's like anything, you can find it easy in isolation. But when up against someone better and you have to push the envelope, it becomes very tough. This applies to all games.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 00:24 (Ref:1864207)   #14
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
Get out.
Yeah. Get out. And don't come back.

I dabbled, but it left me with no soul, I quit cold turkey.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 07:30 (Ref:1864342)   #15
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GTR2 and RACE are coming to XBox 360?

SOLD!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 12 Mar 2007, 21:33 (Ref:1865095)   #16
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah thats what I thought exactly! But they might come on 360.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 22:15 (Ref:1865144)   #17
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Well.. they're not coming to the PS3 are they?
Old 13 Mar 2007, 23:53 (Ref:1866049)   #18
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
Arrrgghhh I cant decide what console I want, its between PS3 and Xbox 360.

I let myself whatch the PS3 adverts about blu ray and that amazed me, then i see that GTR2 and RACE are coming out for 360, then I see that GT5 on the PS3 will have Ferraris, then I see the price of the PS3 and the games for it, then I go back to Xbox! Then i see motorstorm, then I see forza, then I see F1CS, then I see PGR3!!!! ARRRGHHHHHHH!!

Anyway, what would you buy and why?
Personally i have the xbox360, not too pushed on ps3. When GT5 comes out ill get one, but you do have to remember there are alot of titles comming out on both platforms... there are also a few die hard ps3 titles only for that console.

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 15 Mar 2007, 10:12 (Ref:1867129)   #19
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
At the moment I'm happy playing TRD3 on my PS2, Mrs Jonboy has just bought a Wii and new 32" LCD TV which has severly drained any funds that I had for a next gen console anyway.

The Wii's great fun for the whole family (Isn't gaming supposed to be about fun anyway?) and a reat laugh with a few friends round and some beers, but when it comes to racing I'm happy to wait a while and stick with my PS2 for now.

"Race" is supposed to be coming out on PS3 so as long as the Forcefeedback issue is sorted by then I'm quite happy to hang on, then there'll be Colin Mcrea Dirt, ToCA RaceDriver 4 (Hopefully) and GT5.

It didn't take long before mobile phone companies started giving away XPox 360's and PSP's with phone contracts so I imagine the same will happen with PS3's. I believe that a PS3 would be a better long term investment than an XPox and as I have a pay as you go phone at the moment by the time carphone warehouse start giving away PS3's I'll be ready for an upgrade from my current old phone to a more modern one so paying a little extra a month for a contract phone with free minutes and texts and a PS3 seems worth it to me.

The old "PC's are better for sims" argument is getting kinda long in the tooth now and I don't fancy having to upgrade my PC everytime a newer or better game comes out, the games generally come out across all platforms these days and as The PS3 will have a lifespan of 7/8 years (Sony claim 10!) I will be happy in the knowledge that when a game is released I can put the disc in my machine, turn it on and my game will work as it's intended. I'll also be able to race online without the worry of coming up against Modders who hack into the game and cheat. Also online gaming on a console is (I think) less likely to be interfered with by DIGA which has recently become the scourge of online PC races.

So for me it'll be PS3....but not yet.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 11:15 (Ref:1867181)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
um, its Colin McRae... we all get things wrong.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 11:32 (Ref:1867195)   #21
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings

LOL Thanks I noticed that typo too but can't edit my posts to correct spelling.
Replace "reat" with "Great" aswell LMAO
Old 15 Mar 2007, 18:31 (Ref:1867490)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Another problem I have with Sony is the build quality. I really lost confidence in them after the PS2's so I am edgy when considering PS3.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1867555)   #23
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
What build quality problem? Mine's almost 6 years old and it's fine. I also have a Playstation that's almost 10 years old that still works.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 19:55 (Ref:1867575)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

My PS1 was fine.

My PS2's (plural) all suffered laser failures. And they weren't exactly heavily used.

It is something Sony must deal with on PS3. I really hope they have.
Old 16 Mar 2007, 21:31 (Ref:1868562)   #25
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
ive never had a problem with my PS2's. ive always found sony to be the most reliable equipment whether it be TV's playstation's or CD players.