Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 23 May 2019, 01:26 (Ref:3905312)   #26
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
I wrote it
Awesome Claire xxx
Old 23 May 2019, 12:30 (Ref:3905364)   #27
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I feel compelled to post on here. I didn't know John, but have seen his name mentioned on Ten Tenths over the years.
From reading everyone's posts I do now feel that I do know him, albeit slightly. He would appear to have been a lovely chap, with a sense of fairness, a strong knowledge of the difference between right & wrong, and a keen sense of humour. It is also blindingly obvious from all of your posts that hew was extremely well liked & loved, highly respected and will be sorely missed by you all.
I offer everyone my condolences for your loss.
Old 24 May 2019, 07:33 (Ref:3905460)   #28
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I feel compelled to post on here. I didn't know John, but have seen his name mentioned on Ten Tenths over the years.
From reading everyone's posts I do now feel that I do know him, albeit slightly. He would appear to have been a lovely chap, with a sense of fairness, a strong knowledge of the difference between right & wrong, and a keen sense of humour. It is also blindingly obvious from all of your posts that hew was extremely well liked & loved, highly respected and will be sorely missed by you all.
I offer everyone my condolences for your loss.
Thank you so much for this, you have got him spot on. x
Old 24 May 2019, 07:39 (Ref:3905461)   #29
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes thank you VIVA GT, as Claire said ‘Spot on’.
Old 24 May 2019, 10:03 (Ref:3905478)   #30
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
All,

i am hoping to compile a film tribute to John which will be shown at the wake (still not confirmed when that is but we will let you all know as soon as possible ) but also the film will be available on the 360 Website, but I need your help,
if you have any pictures of you with him or indeed of him etc, if you would like them included then can you send them to me via PM here or to my e mail (PM me for) then that would be great.

Thanks
Claire
Old 15 Jun 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3911063)   #31
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
I just wanted to give you an update on John Smith , Its ironic that its the saturday of the Le Mans 24 hour, an event he loved so much, as do I and it drove us to 360 and also beyond!
A lot of you have been asking "When is the funeral?".. and it has been a rather long time. I will apologise for this, although, it is outside my direct control.
Given the nature of John's passing, in that he went into hospital for a "routine" type issue, there has been an investigation into his death, which is outside our control and has been driven by the coroner , as such, while this investigation takes place, unfortunately, we cannot lay John to rest. I am sorry for all of you who. like me, want some sort of closure.
As soon as I have more news (which should be next week) I will update all the streams and those of you who have PM'd etc, I will notify you all.
What I can say, is that we are looking at taking John "home" as such, to Royal Tunbridge Wells for his funeral (nothing is concrete at the moemnt but that is what we want to do) , where he came from, We are also working with our great friends within the Motorsport Industry, to provide John with a fitting venue for a memorial to his life, in fact, a celebration of his life and as soon as we have finalised details, we will issue them to you all.
I know many of you loved this man, a character who, judging by some of your comments and kind words, enriched our lives, and I know that you want to pay your respects and say "goodbye for now" to him, we are working on that and hopefully it will be soon.
In the meantime, thank you all for your contiued support and those of you who love real motorsport... enjoy the best weekend of the year... well... until we do the 360 again that is! ha ha

Thank you all again
Ta
C.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 19:28 (Ref:3912250)   #32
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Thanks for keeping us informed as to what is happening Claire, if I am in the country I will attend.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Jun 2019, 23:02 (Ref:3912317)   #33
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Thanks for keeping us informed as to what is happening Claire, if I am in the country I will attend.
No Problem Gordon.
Old 21 Jun 2019, 20:10 (Ref:3913384)   #34
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
THE DATE OF THE FUNERAL

After considerable time, we can now announce that the funeral of John Gregory Smith will take place on
Tuesday 9 July 2019 at 13:00 at

Tunbridge Wells Crematorium
Benhall Mill Rd
Tunbridge Wells
TN2 5JJ. following this service, we will then celebrate Johns life at
Brands Hatch Circuit
Fawkham
Longfield
Kent
DA3 8NG

John specifically asked for no flowers but instead if you would like, you can make a donation to The Stroke Association or The Motorsports Safety Fund (of which John was a trustee.)

Whilst black is usually worn out of respect, this is a celebration of his life and as such, it is not a necessity, the choice is yours.

We regret that seeing John at the funeral directors will not be possible.

If you are attending please RSVP me so that I may know for numbers.

Thank you again.
Old 24 Aug 2019, 13:53 (Ref:3923995)   #35
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Just spotted over on the Historic section this wonderful tribute to John that Claire made on his fantastic life and was shown at his life celebration down at Brands Hatch last month.

Rest well John, we all miss you terribly xx

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N7JO2Q...ature=youtu.be
Old 19 May 2020, 23:09 (Ref:3977223)   #36
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
This day one year ago, a very special gentleman passed away. All of us whose lives were touched by this kind and sweet soul, miss him so much. Rest in Peace John xx
Old 20 May 2020, 10:02 (Ref:3977295)   #37
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Still loved and still missed, RIP to a very special man
Old 19 Mar 2021, 01:41 (Ref:4041394)   #38
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi John, well I hope that you like this because Country was your favourite music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xMKISEhc9Ic

Myself and everyone that ever knew and loved you are missing you so very much and wish you were still around.

Anyway Happy Birthday sweetheart.

Paula xx

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 19 Mar 2021 at 01:59.
Old 24 Mar 2021, 14:17 (Ref:4042697)   #39
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
Hi John, well I hope that you like this because Country was your favourite music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xMKISEhc9Ic

Myself and everyone that ever knew and loved you are missing you so very much and wish you were still around.

Anyway Happy Birthday sweetheart.

Paula xx
Lovely thought, Paula, most appropriate. Gone but not forgotten.
Old 19 May 2021, 19:01 (Ref:4052289)   #40
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Two years ago tomorrow morning, a very special gentleman sadly left us all.

Rest in Peace John xx
Old 20 May 2022, 01:42 (Ref:4110626)   #41
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Three years ago today, a wonderful man passed away.

John, those of us who knew and loved you, are missing you enormously.

Rest in Peace JGS
Old 21 May 2022, 18:32 (Ref:4110826)   #42
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still in our thoughts John.

God Bless.
Old 19 Mar 2023, 09:20 (Ref:4148254)   #43
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Happy 79th Birthday John, we all miss you xx
Old 20 May 2023, 01:52 (Ref:4156878)   #44
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Four years ago today a wonderful man left us too soon.

John was a special person who was not only highly successful throughout his business career and beforehand as a navigator in the RAF but became one of the very best Motor Racing “Clerks of the Course” the UK has ever seen. He was firm but fair and is sorely missed by the Motorsport community.

We all miss you John and always will.

PS. Here again is the 15 minute tribute to John made by Claire Smith that was played at his Life Celebration at Brands Hatch in July 2019. It was there where he started his motorsport career on the bank.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N7JO2QFaJtw&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 20 May 2023 at 02:21.
Old 24 May 2023, 19:57 (Ref:4157810)   #45
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every time I put the Clerks Licence round my neck I think of John, who was my mentor.
Taken far to early.
Old Today, 00:23 (Ref:4201839)   #46
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Happy Heavenly 80th Birthday John