Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 9 Jul 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3916707)   #1
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMSA 2020 WGI and Mosport double header

Looking to increase our number of classic North American circuits visited by heading across from the UK and doing Watkins Glen and Mosport next year. An additional bonus is that the Mount Washington hillclimb is next set for 2020 and the dates may just work out.

Looks like flying into Boston or NY would work and give us the chance to see some of the scenery, national parks, etc between the races.

RV is not on the agenda so would appreciate advice on which local towns to look at for accommodation (VRBO or motel).

Also, has anyone got any experience of / tips for renting a car in the US and travelling to Canada and back to the US ?

Thanks
Old 19 Jul 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3918501)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Recently come back from this year's double-header. Flight to Toronto; day in Niagra and over the border to Buffalo; day in Letchworth State Park and drive to Ithaca; 3 days at Watkins Glen; drive back to Toronto; several days sightseeing; 3 days at Mosport; fly back from Toronto. If I was to do it again I'd probably add a few extra days in the US to enjoy the scenery and a few days less in Toronto.

All the guides I read said to tell the rental car company you are going across the border as immigration will check the rental agreement. My experience was that nothing was checked and no-one cared. Took about half an hour waiting in the office to get into the USA, and about 30 seconds getting back into Canada.

As far as accommodation goes, I wanted something close to a few bars/restaurants rather than a B&B in the middle of nowhere. Ithaca is about half hour drive to Watkins Glen. Toronto traffic is pretty awful so stay on the east side of town. Took about an hour to get to Mosport.