Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 25 Jun 2019, 06:11 (Ref:3914057)   #2301
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you!
Yep, those are the 2 a friend sent me.
Quite a line-up.
Pity about the miserable old git in the blue car! That was after the aborted run when the battery was dying...

My wife said I look like that often after a run!
Old 25 Jun 2019, 10:38 (Ref:3914087)   #2302
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
May be the battery was dying but you do look great! Take care when wife says you look young it means she's jealous! Well, most of time…
Old 28 Jun 2019, 17:30 (Ref:3914654)   #2303
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Repairs to the rear drive flange /pins are well underway, and the NOS voltage regulator has arrived, so lots to do tomorrow in a cool garage while the UK simmers.

The old bent drive pins were cut off, the welds ground down with the precision of a seasoned Dentist and the 10mm holes (x3) cleaned out with a sharp real Dormer drill, which is now far from sharp.

I turned up new cap head bolts and made spacers so the new pins will penetrate the wheel drive holes 14mm. The bolts are 10mm in size and this is the method I used on the other side of the car years ago.
The bolts are not welded on, but 1/2 nuts are used and super solid Loctite thread lock that is nearly like a weld.

My trusty Drummond 1935 lathe keeps on doing the business, what an asset to have.

The wheel, a real 1972 Dymag magnesium alloy type, hyper rare was entrusted to TKD Engineering in Toddington for the holes to be drilled 14mm and / or opened to 16mm and sleeved-back to 14mm.

Thus the wheel now has 6 x 14mm dia 16mm deep drive pin holes, and all for £80, my biggest bargain all year.

I need to get the drive pin dia down to 13.9 or maybe 13.8mm to allow the wheel to mount the hub and get the brakes etc back together. Then time for the alternator.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0654.JPG   IMG_0655.JPG   IMG_0682.JPG  

Old 1 Jul 2019, 16:50 (Ref:3915369)   #2304
911thillclimber
Veteran

Trying to get some pictures 'arranged' sent to me, so trialling here forgive me!

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 1 Jul 2019 at 16:58.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 21:15 (Ref:3917693)   #2305
911thillclimber
Veteran

Show time this long weekend, Chataux Impney hill climb the Club had a 5 car stand in the grounds of the Chataux while all around a monster hill climb unfolded.

Great crowds, intelligent conversations and I'm pleased to say lots of compliments.
Had more over 28 year olds in the car than 8 year olds!

The calm before the storm:

Old 7 Aug 2019, 07:21 (Ref:3921778)   #2306
911thillclimber
Veteran

Time to wake every thing up!

The second half of the Championship is about to start with Shelsley Walsh this weekend.
In the class I have 2 others, the usual Allan in his evil fast EVO Mini and Christian in the evil fast Pilbeam Hart and me in the golden Oldie sub class!

Allen and Chris are very evenly matched, allan having the upper hand nowhis engine is healthy again, so it will be third for sure if I make it to the top of this tricky hill.

Not my favourite hill, but very nice to be there in the middle of the worlds oldest still operational race track.

The car should be good, it will be the first test of the wheel hub repair, so that will need close inspection over the weekend, though with the weather forecast to be very wet, the loads on the transmission will be light.
Old 9 Aug 2019, 11:56 (Ref:3922066)   #2307
911thillclimber
Veteran

Class has swollen over night, 2 more in the run, the Metro that appeared earlier in the year and Mike Manning who I know from years back in his very custom Ford Puma, neither are slow...

Could be a wet weekend, so last for me this time..

Old 11 Aug 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3922313)   #2308
911thillclimber
Veteran

What a great Clubby weekend at Shelsley Walsh, up and downs for several, but for us, not too bad, nothing to moan about except for coming last!

Sat morning just rained.
It rained hard and drowned many.
I did not take the first run, on slicks, just silly.
Second practice was much better, almost fully dry so got going. This was the first clutch dump after the hub repairs and that proved to be fine, but slow at 33.80/2.15 start.

Practice on sunday morning was great, the track was fine so time to push a bit harder.
32.66/2.2 against the PB of 2 years back of 31,58, so going in the right direction.

Timed runs went well the car driving like a modern car, all working, gearshifts worked (!) and the chassis as ever a true delight.

31.9/2.18 and 31.72/2.13. Nice, quicker every run, so not bad. Wanted a pb of course, but just could not brave it enough, this car needs a driver 1/2 my age!

What about the rest with a zillion bhp and more talent than me?

Allan in the MiniEVO won the runs by 1/100th of a second, the narrowest of margins, but what a performance, fabulous, 28.61/1.9

The Metro was right there, the Fiesta and the Pilbeam, but Allan took us all.

Prescott next on the 7/8 Sept, and with Loton not far after, the season is over!

Old 11 Aug 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3922321)   #2309
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Your pride and joy certainly makes the Mini look scruffy!
Old 11 Aug 2019, 18:49 (Ref:3922326)   #2310
911thillclimber
Veteran

Ha!
Allan always makes fun of me and my car prep, all clean and show n shine.
However, the Mini is a killer car, just so very blunt and functional.
Made to be fast and it certainly is.

I can vouch it is the most photographed car in the paddock by all ages, just so novel and a brute of a car.
Allan is a special driver too mind, TT race winner in the past so came from a lot of years on motorcycles so has a different level of confidence and balance compared to design engineer old me!

It makes for a great weekend full of like minded people all getting on, a lovely weekend.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 20:29 (Ref:3922339)   #2311
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When I raced, I never really worried too much about how the car looked; I always felt that it was more important how quickly it went.

However, the girlfriend of a clubmans' car, a Lotus 7 if I remember well, always made sure that after she had finished making his car spick and span, would come over to my car and give it a good polish. The girlfriend, who later married the driver, used to work at a restaurant/coffee bar that I helped manage so I actually met her before they got together.

We seemed to always be at the same meetings, and she always made a point of inspecting the car before I went to the collection area, and would check that all the fasteners were properly closed up, and that everything externally was ship-shape. A bit of a talisman, if you like. Of course, on one of the rare times that she wasn't around, nobody checked the car before I went out to practice, and so nobody noticed that the bonnet fasteners were undone. Result, one fibreglass bonnet went flying, luckily without damage to either the bonnet or the car.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 20:33 (Ref:3922341)   #2312
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
....... Wanted a pb of course, but just could not brave it enough, this car needs a driver 1/2 my age!......
I don't buy that; I believe in the old saying 'old people are brave and dangerous as they have less to lose' - you just need to get your head in the right place. Maybe a decent sports psycho would help....
Old 11 Aug 2019, 21:36 (Ref:3922345)   #2313
911thillclimber
Veteran

Ah!
The mind set of the driver on the day, on the start line has more effect than bhp on the outcome!
What I didn't realise was I was only a few 1/10's slower than the fearsome Fiesta of Mike Manning.
That might have given me the incentive, where I had surrendered to last just after the finals arrived.

Maybe I don't take it seriously enough, but I do feel a bit disappointed not to have gone quicker today in such ideal conditions.
Old 17 Aug 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3923080)   #2314
911thillclimber
Veteran

About 30 years ago this little car was featured in Motorsport Express with the pink Karmann Ghia body on/Alan Humberstone and this week it is in the same rag, but in current hill climb form.
Fame but no fortune...
Old 29 Aug 2019, 13:54 (Ref:3924674)   #2315
911thillclimber
Veteran

For the first time ever I've cancelled my entry to Prescott, in fact, never cancelled an entry in 29 years old competing.
Some family issues take priority...
Thus, the last hill will be my favourite, Loton Park, my Clubs own track at the end of September.
There is still a good chance I will be able to get 2nd in class with just 3 in the class.
Old 15 Sep 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3928104)   #2316
911thillclimber
Veteran

At long last, my entry to the last Hill climb at Loton Park has been confirmed.
Just 3 in the class, might get a few points, will finish second in a 3 car class in the Championship.

Wife should be ok to supervise but not to do much but the coffee runs.
Could be a whole lot worse, so all good.

www.hdlcc.com
Old 16 Sep 2019, 14:57 (Ref:3928341)   #2317
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I'm sure I can speak on behalf of all 10/10 followers in wishing Mrs 911hc a speedy recovery.
Good luck for the weekend...
Old 16 Sep 2019, 18:03 (Ref:3928373)   #2318
911thillclimber
Veteran

Thank you David for the kind words.
We are waiting to see the consultant this week to find out the next steps to take.
These things come along, and it makes you think of making the most of what you have.
It oddly brings into focus what an interest like hill climbing brings to your life and the friendships that are deeper than you thought.

We will be at Loton even if last in class is the outcome!
Old 18 Sep 2019, 09:34 (Ref:3928656)   #2319
A.C.Clegg
Rookie

A.C.Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear news. Hope everything works out ok for you both.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 16:40 (Ref:3929116)   #2320
911thillclimber
Veteran

Back from the hospital today and good news and more test results awaited until a decision on post-op treatment can be tailored (as the consultant phrased it).
Nothing has spread so that is the great news, and the surgeon got the bast@rd.
Mrs 911HC in good spirits (tough old bird).
1st chapter finished, next one just opening, 3rd one will see it done and dusted.
She is looking forward to Loton hill climb and the last Scramble down at Bicester plus a few nights away in north Yorkshire.

We fancy a Moby Dick and peas with chips looking at the grey North Sea!

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Old 20 Sep 2019, 17:41 (Ref:3929124)   #2321
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Good news is always welcome
Enjoy what promises to be the last day of summer on Saturday, it's all downhill til Christmas from here
Old 26 Sep 2019, 16:19 (Ref:3930243)   #2322
911thillclimber
Veteran

With further Good News on the Mrs Hillclimber front we head to Loton tomorrow for the last event of the year.

3 in the class as ever this year, Allan and Christian in their speedy chariots and me to try to keep them honest.

I started this year seriously considering dropping the car and indeed the sport after 29 years, but thought to leave such a decision until the season was over.
Mixed emotions but so very hard to ignore that the sport has been so good to us.
Managed to measure a Porsche Boxster engine accurately only to find the engine is 100mm wider than the current engine so simply would not go in without some serious rear chassis frame work, a change I'm not too sure I want to make.
As a roller, this car could be reversed to original T 492 spec and run in the Sports 2000 series, cutting to fit the 320 bhp Boxster engine and it's slick AUDI based box would be a bridge too far.
Old 28 Sep 2019, 18:24 (Ref:3930619)   #2323
911thillclimber
Veteran

Wet, and then wet on wet wous the Saturday morning for practice, what a start to the weekend.
Even those on wet cut slicks were slow, and the Lola on full smooooth slicks was painful to try to drive, so I just cruised up practicing the gear changes.83.2 seconds, what a silly time.
My two class mates on wets and better driving came to 60 and 65 seconds!

It dried up generally with a pleasant 17 deg temperature and things improved.

I had forgotten just how fast this Lola is and the thing blasted away in comparison for the 3rd and final practice runs of the day, netting an ok 59.28/ 2.04 for me and 52/54 second runs for my class mates ; my PB is in the 54's..

Mrs Hillclimber lasted the day really well doing Coffee run duties and generally milling around, so that was great.

Weather tonight reads to be truly evil so the track will be a challenge for all
She will be Cream-Crackered by tomorrow night but in very good spirit.

Weather tonight reads to be truly evil so the track will be a challenge for all, but any time I do will not change the class position in my Championship so will be second.
The other 2 in my class have a score to settle in their own championship as they have equal points, so war tomorrow for them.

To say the car is dirty would be a real understatement!
Old 28 Sep 2019, 21:14 (Ref:3930644)   #2324
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love Loton but it is a handful in the wet. Especially on slicks!

Glad to hear Mrs Hillclimber is coping well despite trying conditions and circumstance.

Keep the spirits up (both of you) and have a great day despite the forecast.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 19:00 (Ref:3930924)   #2325
911thillclimber
Veteran

Loton can dry quickly esp with a bit of a breeze and a tough of sun.

Today was a wet start and the first timed run was the usual cautious approach while others are nutters.
70.74/2.64 but back to the paddock in one piece just before the track seriously dried, then a good shower took it all back, then a slow steady dry.
Second run was 60.08/2.13 and felt good, felt faster tbh, but wishful thinking!
Allan and Christian had their runs with Christian winning by about 0.6 sec.

Thus, I have taken 2nd in a class of 3 in the Midland Championship class for Sports Libre over 2 litres after 3 firsts in a row, so not too bad.

The car is in one piece, has run well, the gears have worked and of course the chassis is the bedrock, stable, no vices and true.

Will be taking it back to McClug Motorsport in the spring to have Sean check the angles and maybe run it a little lower, it has after all be around 6 years since done!