Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jul 2019, 21:16 (Ref:3917926)   #126
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As I understand it, Rich Energy were touting their sponsorship to more than one team, and Haas asked the lowest. Still a significant amount as we know, but not quite as much as others.

IMO Williams dodged a bullet there.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 21:26 (Ref:3917931)   #127
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Interesting that Williams reportedly turned them down...

If even the cash strapped Williams turned them down, that says a lot
Old 15 Jul 2019, 21:35 (Ref:3917934)   #128
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am mostly into rallying and rallycross but I have gotten the impression that many energy drink companies are unreliable sponsors, with some drinks being short-lived projects without a future.

Might be off-topic but is it even possible to compete with the likes of Red Bull and Monster?
Old 16 Jul 2019, 05:03 (Ref:3917959)   #129
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Interesting that Williams reportedly turned them down...
Don’t think so. They arranged a meeting to seal the deal, but Storey no-showed as he signed to Haas instead.
Old 16 Jul 2019, 08:31 (Ref:3917971)   #130
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Williams did not turn down Rich Energy. This is obvious when you read all three sides of how Rich Energy came to be the sponsor of Haas.

Firstly - Storey's account of the deal (I know he's not a reliable source):

'Storey says there were talks between the two parties, but they ultimately decided Haas provided a “much better” deal. “I felt sorry for Williams in the end,” said Storey. “I felt that as a business, they were living off past glories and didn’t run a very good business.”'

The Williams version:

'Williams was reportedly just a signature away from renaming itself Williams Rich Energy Racing, but the company ended up with a Haas title sponsorship instead, reportedly for as little as half of what Williams wanted.'

And finally the Haas version from Steiner:
'It was before Austin that we started to talk. We talked what we can do, what we will do and what they will do, and then it came together,'

So in summary:
Rich Energy wanted to buy Force India, but the company went into administration which prevented them getting the deal done.
Rich Energy then agreed a deal with Williams to be the title sponsor.
Rich Energy were also talking to Haas, and agreed to sponsor them for less than Williams were wanting.
Rich Energy revealed their sponsorship as part of being in F1 for a 'long, long time' and aiming to beat Red Bull.
Rich Energy then fall out with Haas, apparently not considering that if a team want half the amount of sponsorship of another mid-table (at best) team, then they are probably also a mid-table team

Old 16 Jul 2019, 12:07 (Ref:3917989)   #131
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And the reports here in the US from F1 reporters is the letter is not accurate and no one has started proceedings to cancel anything at this time. Plus Rich Energy still owes Whyte legal fees and they are returning to court to force payment so Haas would be down the pecking order for payment.
Old 16 Jul 2019, 12:36 (Ref:3917994)   #132
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
It was clearly fake from the ridiculous amount claimed! That’s like title sponsorship of 3 separate teams at once!!
Old 16 Jul 2019, 17:27 (Ref:3918035)   #133
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From Companies House:

Rich Energy company name changed to Lightning Volt Energy.

William Storey ceases to be a director
William Storey ceases to be a Person with Significant Control

... And to cap it all, someone's already created a spoof Twitter account for the new company name
Old 16 Jul 2019, 17:30 (Ref:3918036)   #134
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm beginning to think this is all part of a plan. Like it's a viral marketing stunt.
Old 16 Jul 2019, 17:37 (Ref:3918037)   #135
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm beginning to think this is all part of a plan. Like it's a viral marketing stunt.
A viral marketing campaign has a shred of truth and believability to it, this whole saga is too far fetched to be real.
Old 16 Jul 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3918043)   #136
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
From Companies House:

Rich Energy company name changed to Lightning Volt Energy.
If they are genuinely intending to market the drink as Lightning Volt, then it's a bit too close to Stephen Seagal's drink. So expect another chapter in the comedy to continue.....

Which will be seen being drunk first - a Lightning Bolt or a Lightning Volt?
Old 16 Jul 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3918050)   #137
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And one little side note from the Autosport story that I don't think has been mentioned...

Quote:
Later, Storey pursued a sponsorship deal with Williams, in which Bernie Ecclestone had a hand as a middleman.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...d-haas-f1-deal

Anyone think Williams had a close escape
Old 16 Jul 2019, 20:11 (Ref:3918053)   #138
peebee2
Veteran

Looks like they’ve bust the company to avoid creditors...
Old 16 Jul 2019, 20:47 (Ref:3918058)   #139
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New director at BDG Group has 8 or so other appointments. First thing he does after removing the previous directors is to change the company name.
Old 16 Jul 2019, 21:45 (Ref:3918063)   #140
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Caveat emptor seems appropriate except no-one seems to have paid for anything.
Old 16 Jul 2019, 21:49 (Ref:3918064)   #141
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Mr Storey has the benefit of being able to quietly disappear from the train wreck he's been riding - all he needs to do is get shave and a haircut (no-one know what he looks like under all that follicle forest), wear normal street clothes and leave social media alone and we'll never find him!

Seen this kind of thing before with new or hopeful "energy" drink companies - lots of hype, lots of attitude and "edge", lots of out-there weirdness, very little substance.
Old 16 Jul 2019, 22:26 (Ref:3918067)   #142
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
All I know is the next season of the Netflix show is going to be bonkers good if they get any of this
Old 16 Jul 2019, 23:53 (Ref:3918071)   #143
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://jalopnik.com/embattled-f1-sp...1836415910/amp

Rich Energy is now Lighting Volt. Storey is out. Again, you can't make this stuff up.

Richard
Old 17 Jul 2019, 01:29 (Ref:3918078)   #144
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What a tangled web.

https://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/144840
Old 17 Jul 2019, 03:45 (Ref:3918085)   #145
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Those empty cans are looking like a goldmine now...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Jul 2019, 04:23 (Ref:3918086)   #146
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Mr Storey has the benefit of being able to quietly disappear from the train wreck he's been riding - all he needs to do is get shave and a haircut (no-one know what he looks like under all that follicle forest), wear normal street clothes and leave social media alone and we'll never find him!
We can but hope. I have a feeling he will continue his random tweets even as an outsider.
Old 17 Jul 2019, 07:16 (Ref:3918093)   #147
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well at least I don't think it can get any weirder now. Now is the time to make a fresh start
Old 17 Jul 2019, 07:39 (Ref:3918104)   #148
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Now is the time to make a fresh start
For who - Haas, Storey or Lightning Volt?
Old 17 Jul 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3918137)   #149
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
This rings true. That or Rich being some sort of shell/front company for some group of nefarious investors looking to funnel money around.

Obviously that is just me speculating but it has that sort of feel to me.
Old 17 Jul 2019, 11:38 (Ref:3918138)   #150
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or it's just the front of a plausible Walter Mitty character who persuaded some wealthy people that he really does have the Midas touch. They've discovered he doesn't but are now committed and trying to sort out the mess before they're brought down too.

There's to much collateral damage for this to be a clever campaign.

F1 attracts dreamers with and without money.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk