Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Apr 2019, 02:12 (Ref:3900385)   #851
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I see that on the Autosport website (https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...s-not-for-sale) that Claire Williams is categorically denying that Williams GP is for sale.
Usually this type of denial in F1 only means one thing: Williams GP is up for sale!
Autosport are most probably just trying it on for a headline. Claire W. seems to be type that will drive it into the ground before admitting defeat due to the family problems between her and her brother and not wanting to admit her management has caused major problems and her brother managed his own team way way better. I might be wrong but that us what I see, two siblings trying to one up the other.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 15:30 (Ref:3900498)   #852
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Williams was Frank Williams and Patrick Head. PH is retired (I know he's back consulting but it's a band aid and living in the past) and Frank is just a figurehead these days.

Williams will never be Williams as it was. Best to sell the F1 business and retire the name. Let someone else have a go and pump some money and different direction into it.

It's hampering itself by being 'Williams' and looking back and not forward. Claire in a recent interview was saying it took Frank 10 years to get Williams competitive and it can be done again. But that was Frank and F1 was very different, teams had 15 people and you could just buy a DFV/Hewland package and off you went (not quite that simple but you know what I mean). With the greatest respect to Claire, she's not Frank who was unbelievably single minded and relentless.

Williams are not going to recover from this latest low without being sold or becoming a B team for Mercedes or someone. They have sunken too low to come back by themselves. If they do become a B team, they are no longer Williams because they are not racing to win.

Lotus slipped into history once Chapman died and it didn't take that long. Lotus was Chapman. Williams is the same. Chapman and Williams/Head were visionary autocrats, different to say McLaren which Ron grew as an empire that was self sufficient enough to ultimately spit him out (but McLaren still dropped away from where it was as Ron lost control - self inflicted largely.

Let Williams go with some dignity at this stage. They can't complete with the big manufacturers with their "but we're Williams" business model.
Old 30 Apr 2019, 20:52 (Ref:3900820)   #853
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree that Williams has not been the same since Frank left, although I don’t know how much influence PH had, nor how much he has now, apart from consultancy

Williams are holding on and it’s a shame a lot of hope has been a false dawn. To be fair to Clare she was thrust into a position just like that. No criticism at her and I’m sure others in the team are doing their best as well. But she seems to be missing something compared to Frank, who built the team out of a dream.

Lotus lost their way because they had no contingency plan, which meant they disappeared for a long time, so Chapman’s death was only part of it. But definitely Williams seem to be struggling without Frank. Different from Lotus. And McLaren seemed to have found a new leader in Zak Brown, even if their glory days are behind them

Williams will continue their own way like Frank always wanted to. They’ll continue going, but for how long?
Old 12 May 2019, 07:42 (Ref:3903262)   #854
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
4 and 5 seconds off the pole time in qualifying in Spain.Should only be lapped about 4 times this race.
Old 12 May 2019, 09:28 (Ref:3903271)   #855
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
4 and 5 seconds off the pole time in qualifying in Spain.Should only be lapped about 4 times this race.
Be interesting to see if they can fall short of the 107% rule before the end of the year.
Old 12 May 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3903288)   #856
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Be interesting to see if the driver line up remains intact for much longer..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 May 2019, 08:23 (Ref:3903433)   #857
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Kubica out, Latifi in....?
Old 13 May 2019, 08:27 (Ref:3903435)   #858
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
You can sack the driver but a turtle is still a turtle.
Old 13 May 2019, 09:28 (Ref:3903447)   #859
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
What would be the point of changing it? Russell beat Norris and Albon to the F2 title but can barely outrun his own shadow in the Williams. It would be irresponsible for a manager to try to place a young driver in that car now. Career suicide.
Old 13 May 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3903501)   #860
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh I don't know. There must be loads of no-hopers with bags of gold who'd like to tell their grandchildren they once raced F1. Anyone who couldn't seriously cut the mustard in a proper car would be ideal.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 13 May 2019, 14:40 (Ref:3903505)   #861
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Oh I don't know. There must be loads of no-hopers with bags of gold who'd like to tell their grandchildren they once raced F1. Anyone who couldn't seriously cut the mustard in a proper car would be ideal.
certainly they are around and Williams is just the team to find them!

some might even say that finding them is their super power!
Old 13 May 2019, 16:18 (Ref:3903515)   #862
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

Hasn’t Kubica got a significant pot of gold?....
Old 13 May 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3903524)   #863
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Hasn’t Kubica got a significant pot of gold?....
But why would, at this stageIof Kubica's career would he want to spend all that good money to tool around at the back of the field
Old 13 May 2019, 17:26 (Ref:3903528)   #864
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
But why would, at this stageIof Kubica's career would he want to spend all that good money to tool around at the back of the field
I don't see it myself but if he did, he'd also require at least a couple of sponsors, who are willing to sink a lot of money into the team, while the team turns itself around.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 13 May 2019 at 17:42.
Old 13 May 2019, 18:36 (Ref:3903544)   #865
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
They have a good engine and bags of experience so why are they so far behind everyone else?
Old 13 May 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3903568)   #866
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't see it myself but if he did, he'd also require at least a couple of sponsors, who are willing to sink a lot of money into the team, while the team turns itself around.
I suspect the Purina billions, the family business, could cover it.
Old 13 May 2019, 21:52 (Ref:3903576)   #867
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Purina cat food? I never realised that.

Old 13 May 2019, 21:54 (Ref:3903579)   #868
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
People were speculating about driver changes, my suggestion was in response to that not that RK was paying.

Old 13 May 2019, 22:02 (Ref:3903580)   #869
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

If you are referring to the animal feed/food company, they are part of Nestlé.
Old 13 May 2019, 22:15 (Ref:3903585)   #870
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Sorry, I’m sure I typed ‘Sofina.’ Spellchecker!

Also put 200m into McLaren recently.
Old 13 May 2019, 22:38 (Ref:3903588)   #871
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Purina, as in cat food? Nestlé own them. Who are Sofina?

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 13 May 2019 at 22:44.
Old 13 May 2019, 23:08 (Ref:3903593)   #872
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ROKiT Williams Racing - Our Partners

Quote:
Sofina Foods is one of Canada's leading manufacturers of primary and further processed protein products for retail and food service customers. The privately-held company manufactures pork, beef, turkey, chicken and fish products which are sold and distributed throughout North America, South America and Asia Pacific.
Old 13 May 2019, 23:29 (Ref:3903595)   #873
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
So Sofina Foods are already a partner with Wiliams. If there is no improvement at Williams and they continue to run at the back of the grid, apart from contractual obligations, what incentive is there for Sofina Foods to sink more money into Williams?
Old 13 May 2019, 23:34 (Ref:3903596)   #874
midgetman
Veteran

So the Kubica family own this Canadian food conglomerate? Did they in effect subsidise his drive?

Old 13 May 2019, 23:48 (Ref:3903597)   #875
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
What would be the point of changing it? Russell beat Norris and Albon to the F2 title but can barely outrun his own shadow in the Williams. It would be irresponsible for a manager to try to place a young driver in that car now. Career suicide.
Errr....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods