Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jun 2019, 08:19 (Ref:3914571)   #1226
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
It's funny, I watched the '79 British GP recently and I'm not sure i've seen a performance that dominant by a team. '92 Mansell/Fw14b would be the only other one.

The racing behind was furious though and up until Silverstone there had been multiple winners. The cars could follow each other in corners much easier than today though which is what we need.
On the other hand reliability was poor compared to now.

Others have said it many a time but rose tintedness always creeps into these discussions when we say it was much better in the old days.

What is clear from the previous eras is there will always be technical ingenuity, but aero performance is the main area needing addressing.
IIRC Jones retired and Clay Regazzoni went on to win so not that dominant really. It was Williams' first win too. Also i believe the Arrows ran with no front wing.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3914573)   #1227
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If you watch footage from the early 90s, cars can follow closer there than they can now.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 09:05 (Ref:3914576)   #1228
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's true cars could follow closer, that was helped by the ground effect at the time, even if it did get a bit dangerous in the end. And as for the unreliability at the time, that helped make things less predictable. Prost once said you had to expect at least a couple of DNFs a season.
IF those factors (following closely and unreliability) are the requirements to make F1 more enjoyable, then the solutions may also be relatively simple.

Before answering though - do cars that follow each other closely make a better spectacle? Or is it cars that can overtake?

Taking the assumption that following closely is important, then the easiest solution to this would be to allow more ground effect.
Taking the assumption that unreliability is important, then the cars have to conform to designs that are sub optimal. This is harder to achieve, and any effort from the organisers to make teams run at the edge of performance only results in the teams taking a conservative race strategy.

Looking at tyres for example, the aspiration in the tyre concept at the moment is that teams will opt for the fastest compound and then see their performance plummet at the end of the tyre life. Teams avoid this though, and we end up with a situation like in France where a driver is preserving his tyres rather than pushing them hard.

Engineering standards and understanding have moved on so far in F1 from the days of engines unexpectedly going bang, that they usually back off before a failure happens. Hamilton may have only had one DNF in two years, but I also expect he has only driven his car at its maximum performance for about 15% of the race distance covered in that period too.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3914577)   #1229
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And as for the unreliability at the time, that helped make things less predictable.
Unreliability can come from things being sub standard. Mercedes appear to have eliminated that from their products - which poses the question, do we want a sub standard product?

Quote:
there's something not right about deliberately building a sub standard product. Not exactly the pinnacle of technology is it?
Old 28 Jun 2019, 10:17 (Ref:3914582)   #1230
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
IIRC Jones retired and Clay Regazzoni went on to win so not that dominant really. It was Williams' first win too. Also i believe the Arrows ran with no front wing.
The first Grand Prix I visited and I think this is why I've been a big fan of Williams ever since (and so sad to see where they are now). I seem to remember that all of the mechanics Snap On tool boxes (which were only available red in those days) were painted British Racing Green!
Old 28 Jun 2019, 10:49 (Ref:3914589)   #1231
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
which poses the question, do we want a sub standard product?
There is a least one, the black things Pirelli brings to every race.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 11:45 (Ref:3914597)   #1232
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's ok, they bring sub-standard ones to Blancpain too.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3914611)   #1233
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s the fact Pirelli deliberately make it bad that is the problem. If they were in competition then it would be a lot more unpredictable without trying to manipulate it
Old 28 Jun 2019, 13:48 (Ref:3914614)   #1234
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
There is a least one, the black things Pirelli brings to every race.
And Pirelli are regularly criticised for it, yet they are designed in an attempt to give unpredictability. The teams are just too good at understanding them.

Quote:
It’s the fact Pirelli deliberately make it bad that is the problem. If they were in competition then it would be a lot more unpredictable without trying to manipulate it
Mercedes are in competition - but their results are fairly predictable. Should Mercedes deliberately build a bad car to give unpredictable results?

The competition between tyre manufacturers did not lead to much unpredictability in the early 2000's.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 13:51 (Ref:3914615)   #1235
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Mercedes are in competition - but their results are fairly predictable. Should Mercedes deliberately build a bad car to give unpredictable results?

The competition between tyre manufacturers did not lead to much unpredictability in the early 2000's.

You are missing the point. The fact that Pirelli are the sole supplier means that they have been asked to produce less than perfect tyres instead of building the best they can. You are not comparing like from like with Mercedes because they are in competition so they have to produce the best car, this is not a one make championship

And to say tyre wars don’t lead to unpredictability, you only need to look at 1997 to show it can
Old 28 Jun 2019, 14:08 (Ref:3914618)   #1236
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
You are missing the point. The fact that Pirelli are the sole supplier means that they have been asked to produce less than perfect tyres instead of building the best they can. You are not comparing like from like with Mercedes because they are in competition so they have to produce the best car, this is not a one make championship

And to say tyre wars don’t lead to unpredictability, you only need to look at 1997 to show it can
I don't feel I am missing the point. Pirelli are making a sub standard product because it is felt that this will lead to better racing.
The same desire for a sub standard product has been made on many occasions in this thread when people want a return to unreliability, and elements of F1 manufacturing that fail more often.

What about the introduction of a second tyre manufacturer in 1997 led to unpredictability?
Old 28 Jun 2019, 14:13 (Ref:3914620)   #1237
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess he's referring to Damon's drive at Hungary and other occasional top qualifying positions.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 14:14 (Ref:3914621)   #1238
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here's an article on the demand for unpredictability (and other things).
https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature...fans-asked-for
Old 28 Jun 2019, 15:26 (Ref:3914634)   #1239
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I guess he's referring to Damon's drive at Hungary and other occasional top qualifying positions.
Looking at the 1997 Hungarian GP - is there really any evidence that competition between tyre makers contributed in any way to making that result unpredictable?

The Wikipedia article on the event essentially reads like the event was a memorable occasion because of sub standard build.

'[Hill had] a bad year in the back runner Arrows-Yamaha
[…]just a single flying lap, after sitting for 55 minutes in the garage while his mechanics tore the gearbox off the car, looking for an electronic sensor problem.
[…]
with three laps left, the hydraulic pump failed on Hill's car, causing it to become stuck in third gear and have an intermittent throttle.
[…]
throttle linkage failure, caused by a broken washer worth 50 pence.'
Old 28 Jun 2019, 15:55 (Ref:3914641)   #1240
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whilst I don't agree with how the point is being put accross, I do believe multiple tyre manufacturers add another variable, which is how you get unpredictability.

2003 was a good example. Schumacher won and Ferrari had the best car, but often didn't win because of the tyre situation. When Bridgestone were having a good day, Ferrari won. When Michelin were having a good day, Schumacher struggled to podium and the results were spread across the multiple Michelin runners.

I do believe that 2 competent tyre manufacturers will produce better racing. Also see VLN/N24 and LMP2 with Michelin v Dunlop.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 16:12 (Ref:3914643)   #1241
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Whilst I don't agree with how the point is being put accross, I do believe multiple tyre manufacturers add another variable, which is how you get unpredictability.

2003 was a good example. Schumacher won and Ferrari had the best car, but often didn't win because of the tyre situation. When Bridgestone were having a good day, Ferrari won. When Michelin were having a good day, Schumacher struggled to podium and the results were spread across the multiple Michelin runners.

I do believe that 2 competent tyre manufacturers will produce better racing. Also see VLN/N24 and LMP2 with Michelin v Dunlop.
IMO, I'm yet to be convinced that multiple tyre manufacturers will produce better racing. In the past, that may have been the case as everything (including tyres) was pushed to the limit and sometimes beyond.

With the current F1 development status, I fear that results will converge towards the optimal design of tyre. Once the best design has been reached, the 'Bridgestone good day' will become as common an occurrence as the 'Mercedes good day' is now.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 16:24 (Ref:3914645)   #1242
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
LMP2 improves racing when some teams bring Michelins along to what is generally a Dunlop party. VLN is certainly more interesting with the tyre battle. Teams even switching tyres mid-weekend added a lot more fun and variety to events. I certainly believe that adding multiple tyre manufacturers improves things.

I don't see Pirelli suddenly producing Mercedes quality tyres. The Blancpain tyres have had a long time to get good and still haven't. They get away with it more because of the extreme levels of BoP in SRO events, but that still doesn't stop drivers dropping the occasional note that the Pirellis are often not up to the task - especially for the Am drivers.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 23:19 (Ref:3914698)   #1243
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Looking at the 1997 Hungarian GP - is there really any evidence that competition between tyre makers contributed in any way to making that result unpredictable?
Yes. Hill qualified 3rd in an Arrows, overtook Schumacher and nearly won. Surely you can see what is trying to be said here! Clearly it wasn’t a reference to unpredictability in a single race, rather unpredictability from one race to another.

It’s not the greatest point ever made, but it is quite clear.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 05:13 (Ref:3914714)   #1244
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Yes. Hill qualified 3rd in an Arrows, overtook Schumacher and nearly won. Surely you can see what is trying to be said here! Clearly it wasn’t a reference to unpredictability in a single race, rather unpredictability from one race to another.

I still don't think it is clear.

1997, the top 8 drivers all used Goodyear.
Bridgestone drivers only took 4 of the 51 podiums.

It was pretty predictable all season that Goodyear tyres on the car gave good results, and the occasional performance from a Bridgestone runner does not give evidence that competition between tyre manufacturers contributed to unpredictable results.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 09:07 (Ref:3914743)   #1245
S griffin
Veteran

Other examples of tyre war spicing it up in 97. Panis' early season form in the Prost before his leg breaking crash in Canada. Podium in Brazil, chasing JV in Argentina before his car broke, and catching him in Spain before getting stuck in traffic and having to settle for second, and he qualified about 13th too.

Barrichello splitting the Ferraris in the wet at Monaco to take 2nd for Stewart. Then there was Trulli leading at Austria in the Prost and looking good till his car broke. Certainly it was the Bridgestone tyres that helped them. All in all we had 14 different drivers on the podium that season
Old 29 Jun 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3914752)   #1246
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
I still don't think it is clear.

1997, the top 8 drivers all used Goodyear.
Bridgestone drivers only took 4 of the 51 podiums.

It was pretty predictable all season that Goodyear tyres on the car gave good results, and the occasional performance from a Bridgestone runner does not give evidence that competition between tyre manufacturers contributed to unpredictable results.
We’ve tended towards saying the same thing.

Generally, in any competition, one competitor will be better than another. Goodyear was generally better. It should be remembered that Goodyear supplied the best teams. So the tyre war introduced an element of unpredictability that meant occasionally a lesser team could do much better than normal.

If the required standard of unpredictability is much greater that that, say a different winner each time from many different teams then a tyre war is unlikely to provide this. Nothing short of a lottery can constantly do that. F1 has never consistently done that.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 11:11 (Ref:3914754)   #1247
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Im scared to think how much money Merc and/or Ferrari would spend on development of a bespoke set of tires.

But out of curiosity what would be considered a good set of tires?

Pirelli brought arguably their most durable set of hards to France and the race was a dreadful procession.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 11:28 (Ref:3914757)   #1248
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Im scared to think how much money Merc and/or Ferrari would spend on development of a bespoke set of tires.
That is not how it worked, the tyres were given to teams that gave the companies the best exposure. Other lesser teams paid but not the Mercedes of this world.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 11:36 (Ref:3914758)   #1249
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry didnt mean on paying for the supply necessarily but the money spent on windtunnel and track testing... surely the tire supplier would not foot that bill?
Old 29 Jun 2019, 12:43 (Ref:3914764)   #1250
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:

Indeed, the point is pretty clear. And 2003 is a good example of that - winning one weekend and then being off the podium the next was not unusual and that was purely tyres.

Another example is the Bridgestone v Michelin intermediate tyres. One was a lightly treaded tyre whilst the other was softer but heavily treaded. They had different characteristics and gave them different strengths. Wet races were even more unpredictable due to the difference in the wets and inters.

F1 is trying to get the best of both worlds. A single supplier, but with different types of tyre. You can achive this with multiple tyre manufacturers.