Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jul 2007, 09:55 (Ref:1977028)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vettel has joined Toro Rosso/Now signed for 2008!

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19466.html

Rather brief article, I'm assuming that Speed is gone?

EDIT - comments from Dr Mario imply Vettel will be racing for Toro Rosso:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61232

I gues we'll have to wait for a press release from Toro Rosso themselves. But following recent events, it appears that Speed is out.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 31 Jul 2007 at 10:03.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 10:02 (Ref:1977036)   #2
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit more on F1 live, but I still don't understand if he is going to start racing "with immediate effect"?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 10:04 (Ref:1977038)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Article says that Speed has gone.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1977043)   #4
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Article says that Speed has gone.
Which one?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1977044)   #5
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tost should be the one forced out, not Speed. I guess it's done now though.

EDIT - Now official on the Toro Rosso site.

http://www.redbullf1.com/scuderia-to...7964-230764838

Last edited by Down F0rce; 31 Jul 2007 at 10:14.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 10:15 (Ref:1977053)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljakse
Which one?
Errr.....this one!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61233
Old 31 Jul 2007, 10:30 (Ref:1977068)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well that jumbles things up a good bit!

Will Vettel be at STR for this season only? Or, is he at STR to get some race miles to prep him for a race seat at BMW in 2008?

Whither Scott Speed?

More importantly, does this mean it will be Nick and Kubica at BMW in 2008?

Rather than clarifying things it seems the water becomes ever-muddier...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 10:34 (Ref:1977073)   #8
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljakse
but I still don't understand if he is going to start racing "with immediate effect"?
Other than the "with immediate effect" in two of the articles Ljakse?

That's surprising, thanks for posting it. Are congratulations in order? Not sure how much of a prize racing for STR is frankly. Obviously BMW was not an option for him next year or, did he sign-on to do the rest of this year only?

Instead of watching him race a field full of cars, we're now blessed with being able to watch him race a teammate in an equally crappy car. If I were any more excited about the news, I'd have to be physically restrained.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 10:41 (Ref:1977083)   #9
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Will Vettel be at STR for this season only? Or, is he at STR to get some race miles to prep him for a race seat at BMW in 2008?
Yeah, what he said.

That's got to be it John. Otherwise this makes no sense for Sebastian whatsoever IMO.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 10:49 (Ref:1977092)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Heidfeld possibly at Toyota next season,Bourdais at STR with Liuzzi.IMO of course.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 11:19 (Ref:1977125)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unfortunte end to Speed's F1 career, but Vettel looks like the better bet. I can see him outperforming Liuzzi immediately. It'd be a shame if Nick goes to Toyota for next year though, BMW look likely to be faster for the forseeable future.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 11:21 (Ref:1977130)   #12
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I know is that F1 would have been far better off with out Red Bull Jr...
Old 31 Jul 2007, 11:23 (Ref:1977132)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It's the timing that's interesting as well.This is the last day to take up the option on Bourdais.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1977138)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo
All I know is that F1 would have been far better off with out Red Bull Jr...
Bring back Minardi!

Who seem to be doing rather well in Champcars.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 11:37 (Ref:1977151)   #15
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Kubica and Heidfeld will be feeling a lot happier after this. I can't see Vettel leaving STR until 2009 at least.

Speed never deserved to be in F1, and he was too arrogant as well. Good riddance I say.

The most interesting thing in this is how will Liuzzi perform against Vettel. There's now two very hotly tipped Germans at the back of the grid.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 11:41 (Ref:1977155)   #16
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bring back Minardi!

I second that one.... What about Forti as well?....... I'll get mi coat...

Sad for Speed but i'm sure he'll land a good drive in the US indy or champ, he'll have more time to get some mileage under his belt as well without the burden of F1.

Now i've said that watch him get unveiled as a Williams test driver

Seriously thou I reckon they sacked the wrong one. Liuzzi was poorer of the drivers.

Last edited by MrTTraces; 31 Jul 2007 at 11:44.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 11:48 (Ref:1977159)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces

Seriously thou I reckon they sacked the wrong one. Liuzzi was poorer of the drivers.
I always got the impression that Liuzzi could drive the car faster than it was willing to go (witness Thursday practice at Monaco).Whereas Speed was driving as fast as he could.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1977172)   #18
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Other than the "with immediate effect" in two of the articles Ljakse?
At the time of my post, Grandprix.com's entire article was:

Vettel joins Toro Rosso
Sebastian Vettel has joined Scuderia Toro Rosso with immediate effect.

Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:27 (Ref:1977195)   #19
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well not unexpected really, next out at the end of the season will be Liuzzi with Bourdais comming in.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:29 (Ref:1977196)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Now all they need to do is change that awful livery.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:32 (Ref:1977199)   #21
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I really like their livery.

Personally, I'd say more:

All they need to do now is get a good car
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:42 (Ref:1977210)   #22
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev
Speed never deserved to be in F1, and he was too arrogant as well. Good riddance I say.
Its been the same Scott Speed this year that finished behind only Rosberg and Kovalainen in GP2 in 2005, and head of the same Piquet Jr who was running down Hamilton last year. STR simply doesnt look like the right environment with Berger and Tost at the helm to develop young drivers. Almost like theyre a backmarker team that things theyve got what it takes to be at the front. I think after awhile Red Bull will pull out, by most accounts Speed is still in favour with Helmut Marko and Matesitch.

Maybe some good will come from this, maybe Liuzzi will be spurred on moreso by Vettel than he was with Speed.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1977249)   #23
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bring back Minardi!

...and lovin' it!
Old 31 Jul 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1977250)   #24
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
The Saint has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I really don’t understand how RedBull allowed the raging lunatic Austrian (Berger) to do this. Speed was the end product of the Red Bull search for an American GP star program. Red Bull have invested 20 odd million dollars into this kid, and like a bad experiment, dump him in the trash can. It makes not sense at all.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 13:46 (Ref:1977256)   #25
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint
I really don’t understand how RedBull allowed the raging lunatic Austrian (Berger) to do this. Speed was the end product of the Red Bull search for an American GP star program. Red Bull have invested 20 odd million dollars into this kid, and like a bad experiment, dump him in the trash can. It makes not sense at all.

if he was the best end product, then maybe all concerned decided it didnt work out.