Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Feb 2006, 04:11 (Ref:1524007)   #26
evooo
Rookie

evooo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how many competitive races has sato had in how many years of competitive driving?
also as relevant as it may (or may not be), didn't he completely dominate f3?

a diamond in the rough but needs a lot of polishing!

o/t: wat happened to takagi and also esteban tuero?
Old 16 Feb 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1524101)   #27
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
I guess he is. Before him, Ukio Katayama was the most successful with 5 points... IIRC
Close but Mr Suzuki himself has scored 8 championship points.

anyway we are splitting hairs i think as none of them have lived up to expectations , hopefully the whole team does well
Old 16 Feb 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1524273)   #28
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Sato - as we know had limited racing experience. So to have got where he got to, and to perform like he did - was no fluke. Despite the backing from Honda, he needed some talent I presume to have attracted such backing - and he did a fine job in F3 2001. On paper, he is the most successful Japanese GP driver. Fact. But, as he evooo said - he needs polishing.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1524281)   #29
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
Close but Mr Suzuki himself has scored 8 championship points.

anyway we are splitting hairs i think as none of them have lived up to expectations , hopefully the whole team does well

In the interest of more hair splitting Satoru Nakajima scored 16 points in his F1 career (and got fastest lap in the 1989 Australian GP)
Old 16 Feb 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1524409)   #30
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo28
In the interest of more hair splitting Satoru Nakajima scored 16 points in his F1 career (and got fastest lap in the 1989 Australian GP)
I think its Sato's podium and points combined in F1 that has made him the most successful in F1.

If he gets into the points again with SAF1 he may be crowned king!
Old 16 Feb 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1524431)   #31
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing we'd need to calculate, was what Sato would score under the old points systems
Old 16 Feb 2006, 20:00 (Ref:1524542)   #32
speedfreek
Rookie

United Kingdom
Reading
speedfreek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
how is sato the most succesfull japanese driver ever ???

not questioning (ok I am) but just confused as to how or where that statement came from ?
He is on a points basis and the only Japenese guy to get a poduim IIRC in the US gp 2003 or 2004.

F1 racing had an article bout it a while ago.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 07:41 (Ref:1524821)   #33
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taku totally shined in his career pre Formula 1 and more or less eveything he raced, although even then he always had his own way of doing things and sometimes he ended up worse off rather than on the top step . From Vauxhall Jr and F3 National Class to multiple race wins in F3 with a championship title and a superb Macau win when he really had no need to go there as he already had a signed Jordan F1 drive securley in his pocket .That realy needs to be remembered i think , but he still went to Macau in 2001 and won it , that is because he is a racer at heart , and not a driver like many now days that put the career ladder first . If he had been hurt at Macau in Nov 2001 , he had a awful lot to lose with F1 drive already secure for 2002 . That is one of the reasons as well as the Podium etc that he had in F1 that he is probally one of the best from Japan .

Now in saying that , it cant be denied that he has very much under performed in F1 so far , although to be honest there is so much rubbish written about him wrecking everything he drives etc that plainly is totally incorrect , but mud sticks and it had surley has with him alot .

It will be interesting to see how he fairs at Super Aguri , The fact he didnt get anywhere near the results that he clearly had got the pace to achieve at BAR has always made me wonder if the BAR team just didnt suit him with it so clearly being directed around Button so much like it was . Maybe Super Aguri team will give him the edge back again that he needs in his driving to get it back to the level he is capable of .

Taku is a terrific driver , his attitide to racing is proballty one of the best on the whole grid . He believes in motor RACING , with the point being made that he wants to race , he isnt the kind of driver to play follow my leader for the whole race like so many other are ( sometimes to his detriment ) .... for me he was a breath of fresh air in Formula 1 in 2002 and i hope Super Aguri give him the attention that maybe he needs to really shine like he can , he is very quick and natural talent but has very much lacked good consistency in F1 which is a shame and i hope that the abbience that Super Aguri provide will help that to be corrected .
Old 17 Feb 2006, 09:28 (Ref:1524886)   #34
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
DOH , forgot about Nakajima LOL , he was great in the wet wasnt he

and actually again Aguri Suzuki was the first japanese to stand on the podium Japan 1990 (what a great podium that was (Piquet , Moreno , Suzuki )

I like Sato , I think he is good value but of course like most drivers he needs more consistancy and hopefully that will come this year , allthough it will be tough
Old 17 Feb 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1525202)   #35
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, yeah, Sato is the most successful Japanese driver. But also, he's had better cars than most, with the exception of Nakajima-san.
Perhaps Suzuki, Katayama or Nakano could have done better. Wasn't Aguri's podium on a Larrousse or something? Certainly no Lotuses or BARs that Satoru and Taku have driven...
Old 17 Feb 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1525280)   #36
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
That is true Jordi, but doesn't the fact that these guys you mention never got a top seat, say something as well. I know Sato has substansial Honda backing, but why did he get Honda backing in the first place? Because he is good.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1525388)   #37
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Well Aguri Suzuki has Honda backing now
Old 19 Feb 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1526156)   #38
ohazamiizugahar
Rookie

Japan
Kumagaya
ohazamiizugahar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Takuma, Aguri and Honda

Just after Takuma's leaving BAR Honda there were a lot of claim for Honda from Japanese.
Honda had to search for Takuma' s F1 seat.
Aguri has a good relationship with Honda for long time.
He uses Honda engines for IRA, Formula Nippon, Super GT.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 21:46 (Ref:1526499)   #39
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Well Aguri Suzuki has Honda backing now
heh true. i like this japanese way of marketing things though
Old 19 Feb 2006, 21:53 (Ref:1526505)   #40
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
haha Yeah i've liked the sound of it thus far. Very passionate.

Selby
Old 19 Feb 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1526507)   #41
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will be interesting to see how Super Aguri does this season. I expect nothging from them, especially as their driver lineup doesn't look great (Sato is not really good enough, and this other one I know little about), but it would be good if they could at least be near the other cars, something I don;t see happening really.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 22:47 (Ref:1526555)   #42
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sato would / is good in a lower series. imo he is not f1 material. but i think it's a good thing no-one will expect much from the aguri thing - from where i'm sitting anyway, it's a case of watch and just see.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 22:52 (Ref:1526561)   #43
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they just trail around at the back of the grid, there's no point in them taking part. That's why I hope to see them punch above their weight.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 23:00 (Ref:1526565)   #44
Suze
Veteran

England
no, course not - but it will be interesting to see if they can do any better than trail around at the back of the grid
Old 19 Feb 2006, 23:18 (Ref:1526576)   #45
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
If they just trail around at the back of the grid, there's no point in them taking part. That's why I hope to see them punch above their weight.

Unfortunately someone has to be at the back of the pack.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 23:27 (Ref:1526580)   #46
Suze
Veteran

England
yes, but there's a differene between being at the back and being competetive and trailing around at the back waaaay behind everyone else!
Old 20 Feb 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1526857)   #47
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sato should be competitive with everyone else, although Ide might struggle at first with so little testing.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1526933)   #48
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh agreed. Sato can really mix it up when he wants to. It's just those criticle errors he needs to do something about.. lol

Selby