Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 30 Sep 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2301116)   #1
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodbye James Allen (2009 BBC commentary team revealed)

Maybe this has been discussed already but I've not seen the link thus far. According to Crash.Net the Beeb have revealed their 2009 commentary team. Most importantly, it does not include James Allen. Full story here:

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/n..._revealed.html

No word in the story about the title music.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 13:26 (Ref:2301124)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another re-hash of the pitpass story

It's already being discussed from this post onwards in the Armchair enthusiast thread
Old 30 Sep 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2301125)   #3
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't receive ITV here in the Netherlands. But in the recent years I had to watch on ITV due to vacation. And I don't really understand most of the criticism on James Allen. But that's just my opinion.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2301159)   #4
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BBC are pretty good at self-promotion so as soon as it's live it'd be up on the BBC website. And it's not. Yet!
Old 30 Sep 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2301161)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"it has been claimed" doesn't really have the same feel as the headline.

Hey ho. They might be right, they might be wrong. However just like the pitpass story these people cry wolf so much that this news article is wrothless.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 18:23 (Ref:2301320)   #6
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The team is announced after Brazil
Old 30 Sep 2008, 19:14 (Ref:2301378)   #7
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame, I quite liked JA, didnt always agree with him but he was both experienced, knowledgeable and enthusiastic, as was a certain venerable Murray Walker!
Old 30 Sep 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2301424)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Does anyone know if the BBC will be flogging its production to the same clients that ITV did? I am hoping they will, as it helps fill their coffers. If not, I may be stuck with only Speed. That would suck a bit, as I would miss about 20-minutes more of the race.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 20:24 (Ref:2301426)   #9
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Speed might have a lot of commercials especially at the end of the race but their commentating team is top notch, they really give it their all.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 20:35 (Ref:2301434)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Certainly. That is where Speed is incredibly strong.

It doesn't change that I will miss a bunch of the race I wouldn't miss if I don't get the BBC feed on TSN in the place of the ITV one. This would suck.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 22:22 (Ref:2301520)   #11
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee McKenzie, yes! A massive improvement over Louise

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 23:20 (Ref:2301551)   #12
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
just for us Canadian viewers who recieve ITV commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Does anyone know if the BBC will be flogging its production to the same clients that ITV did? I am hoping they will, as it helps fill their coffers. If not, I may be stuck with only Speed. That would suck a bit, as I would miss about 20-minutes more of the race.
Asking around here, people knew Murray Walker, so it appears as if they did possible get the BBC feed.... Problem is BBC probably not going to account for the ad brakes.

...but I suspect it will be like TSN does now with commentary lights to flag, with old Gerald Donaldson in an old GPO phone box phoning in.

Personally, I watch the build up on Speed, then move over to ITV until a) Allen ****es me off b) adverts and then chop and change.

At lease we have a choice of two channels here. One thing I do like with Speed is Qualifying. We dont miss anything with the ads, so it isn't live by the end of Q1. At least we dont miss anything
Old 30 Sep 2008, 23:33 (Ref:2301561)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
The BBC doesn't need to account for the ads as far as I am concerned. So the TSN coverage will cut off unannounced...I can live with that (just need to be primed and ready to hit pause and flick channels). I would not expect the TSN coverage to change at all otherwise.

I too tend to start with the TSN feed, given I am interested to hear what Martin has to say. Then I will switch to Speed at ads, if they are still running then I will often just leave it on Speed until they hit ads (then swtich to TSN and leave it on that until they hit ads again, and so on). The different perspectives the two teams give on different incidents can often help provide a greater overall understanding. The synchronising tends to work out well, although sometimes not (which is annoying).

I watch TSN qualifying, simply because I see it as live (I wil always choose this over delayed forms).

If TSN doesn't pick up coverage from somewhere, then I will simply have to make a point of getting RDS.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 07:54 (Ref:2301738)   #14
Hitech
Rookie

England
UK, South Staffordshire
Hitech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
"it has been claimed" doesn't really have the same feel as the headline.

Hey ho. They might be right, they might be wrong. However just like the pitpass story these people cry wolf so much that this news article is wrothless.

I agree with Adam, a complete lack of wroth.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 14:51 (Ref:2302085)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My wrath knows no bounds to these writhless spellink airroars!
Old 1 Oct 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2302146)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only person I want the BBC to sign from the current ITV squad is Martin Brundle. Don't care about the rest of them...
Old 1 Oct 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2302288)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I think Ted Kravitz would be a decent hire as a pitlane reporter (focusing on the same stuff as he does now). A season or three back he was a bit rubbish, but he is actually decent at it nowadays.

He seems to have got his tyre fetish under control, so, mostly, what he does is worthwhile.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2302341)   #18
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
ah, but you havent seen Ted doing BTCC have you. He has more air time with Brundle esque grid interviews and its dire,,,,really really bad.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2302369)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Nope, I haven't seen that at all. I am not surprised he sucks at the larger roles. I am suggesting merely keeping him doing exactly the same thing as he does at the moment with ITV, with exactly the same scope of responsibilities and fields of coverage. That said, I really don't care if he isn't hired by the BBC - provided whomever they choose to do his job is at least his equal in such capacities.

I'm not foolish enough to suggest any form of expansion of roles for any of the ITV crew, with the exception of Martin Brundle (he is unquestionable a fully competent person). He is certainly the only ITV member that I think the BBC would be crazy not to take on. I don't think we've had any official word with respect to Brundle, have we?

Last edited by Dutton; 1 Oct 2008 at 21:42.
Old 2 Oct 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2302627)   #20
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I heard a rumour that Brundle might be offered to share the anchor role in the BBC coverage, like what Mark Blundell, which to be fair, has what been what done for ITV.
Old 2 Oct 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2302631)   #21
Tehillim
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tehillim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
I think Ted Kravitz would be a decent hire as a pitlane reporter (focusing on the same stuff as he does now). A season or three back he was a bit rubbish, but he is actually decent at it nowadays.

He seems to have got his tyre fetish under control, so, mostly, what he does is worthwhile.
That's the problem with Kravitz, he gets an idea in his head and goes on and on about it. I don't think any of them except for Brundle add value. Plus, after 11 years it will be nice just to have a change.
Old 2 Oct 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2302896)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Seeing Kravitz doing the Hi-Five's followed by a "cool" handshake (bashing knuckles) on a rather embarrassed looking Matt Jackson after he won at Brands Hatch, made my skin crawl.
Old 2 Oct 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2303005)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
The only person I want the BBC to sign from the current ITV squad is Martin Brundle. Don't care about the rest of them...
I think i'd agree with that comment!

Brundle is a jewel.

Blundell I liked as a driver but he's not a tv man even if he undoubedly knows his trade..
Kravitz seems to be very one dimensional.
Allen's fallen into the trap of not actually commentating, too busy waffling on
Goodman's is too blase and has a slightly condescending tone during interviews, which is guaranteed to get a few prima dona backs up!!!
Old 2 Oct 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2303007)   #24
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
That's why you keep him on a leash and away from such situations, Sodemo, . Perhaps a remote controlled electrick-shock contraption attached to his nuts might help remind to keep things in check?
Old 2 Oct 2008, 21:11 (Ref:2303067)   #25
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyones a kritik.
Closed Thread