Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Jan 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3011363)   #601
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Black Falcon Mercs looking pretty impressive in Dubai so far.
Lambos not quite as quick but looking significantly more reliable than the Ferraris. Scudd or ff care to comment
Have now missed my RV booking due to not making an early enough decision, so will have to pay more if I come.
Richard, even a drip feed on the Website would be better marketing than having the thing hibernate for about 6 weeks. Not brilliant marketing.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 21:34 (Ref:3011387)   #602
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why rattle on just for the sake of it? The event is on, date hasn't changed and other than bringing us time wasters up to date with 'guess what?..Herman the German is coming or Trabant Motorsport are considering a class entry'... what marketing value is there or opportunity to put more bums on seats over the Xmas break?

Those that will be there decided long ago. RC will be sure to keep us informed with relevance.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 21:47 (Ref:3011389)   #603
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
Why rattle on just for the sake of it? The event is on, date hasn't changed and other than bringing us time wasters up to date with 'guess what?..Herman the German is coming or Trabant Motorsport are considering a class entry'... what marketing value is there or opportunity to put more bums on seats over the Xmas break?

Those that will be there decided long ago. RC will be sure to keep us informed with relevance.

The car is ready... its even an EvoII!! Look forward to seeing it at the Mountain
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 14 Jan 2012, 01:10 (Ref:3011455)   #604
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watching the Dubai race and I missed the first bit as to if they went under qualifying or nominated time that they received a drive through penalty.

Sounds to me like a 24hr regularity.

Anyone shed any light on this.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 02:37 (Ref:3011465)   #605
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
....."Creventic, the Dutch company that organizes this race, as well as other enduros in the 24H Series, uses a unique BoP system where cars are assigned a target time that they are not allowed to lap faster. If they do, penalties in the form of ballast, fuel capacity changes and ride height adjustments could be issued.

In the race, each team gets ten “joker laps”, where their car can exceed the minimum reference lap established prior to the start. With penalties of increasing severity being issued for violations, it adds an an extra layer of strategy to the race."
taken from this - http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...sday-notebook/
Old 14 Jan 2012, 09:13 (Ref:3011501)   #606
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downoz View Post
Just watching the Dubai race and I missed the first bit as to if they went under qualifying or nominated time that they received a drive through penalty.

Sounds to me like a 24hr regularity.

Anyone shed any light on this.

That's the BoP for certain times..

They also have 10 joker laps which they can break out of their nominated time before they get a time penalty...

Kinda makes for bland race as you can't really chase that guy 30sec in front like you would normally in a race, you kinda have to sit on your nominated time and hope they make a mistake... and before all you enduro guys pipe up I get enduro racing but still when the cars have all this pace in reserve it kinda makes it a bit boring to watch and not going to get those great chasing battles that spectators enjoy... I am glad the Bathurst 12hr hasn't done the same with nurfing the race lap times..

Last edited by St00ge; 14 Jan 2012 at 09:19.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3011557)   #607
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you both for that info on Dubai.

Did not matter that much, Mercedes 1.2.3.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3011649)   #608
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post

That's the BoP for certain times..

They also have 10 joker laps which they can break out of their nominated time before they get a time penalty...

Kinda makes for bland race as you can't really chase that guy 30sec in front like you would normally in a race, you kinda have to sit on your nominated time and hope they make a mistake... and before all you enduro guys pipe up I get enduro racing but still when the cars have all this pace in reserve it kinda makes it a bit boring to watch and not going to get those great chasing battles that spectators enjoy... I am glad the Bathurst 12hr hasn't done the same with nurfing the race lap times..
No arguments here.
It's racing - if the driver's not the arbiter of their own pace, what's the point?

Dubai wasn't much more than a 24 hour display of restraint.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 14 Jan 2012 at 18:55.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 01:29 (Ref:3012142)   #609
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Craill View Post
Exciting news about a certain Gull-winged entry coming Monday... bit of a holdup in confirming everything but it's locked in and will be all confirmed Monday.
Is it Monday yet

Even though the imposed time limit in qualifying and practice is a bit dissapointing, having one in the race would make it farcical. I wouldn't bother going to spectate if this was the case.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 01:34 (Ref:3012146)   #610
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

The car is ready... its even an EvoII!! Look forward to seeing it at the Mountain
Thanks GTA, now we know what TBA as the entry list on the website means.
It is a race fo Formula TraBAnt
Old 16 Jan 2012, 03:03 (Ref:3012157)   #611
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Thanks GTA, now we know what TBA as the entry list on the website means.
It is a race fo Formula TraBAnt
Not as pretty look at as an SLS or R8.. but pretty good on tyre economy, set up to be a tricycle and all
Old 16 Jan 2012, 04:34 (Ref:3012168)   #612
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR View Post
Is it Monday yet

Even though the imposed time limit in qualifying and practice is a bit dissapointing, having one in the race would make it farcical. I wouldn't bother going to spectate if this was the case.
I wouldnt attend either if they ever introduced it to the race so i hope the race organisers are listening to the fans opinions.

As it is im now not disapointed at all that i will miss saturdays running and wont worry about trying to make it to future saturdays of the event unless the support card is especially good.

It could have been a very exciting day and therefore also a lucrative day with multiple cars capable of breaking the lap record.

Last edited by nafe!; 16 Jan 2012 at 04:40.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 04:52 (Ref:3012169)   #613
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts exactly. While qualifying is largely irrelevant in Endurance racing, the mere principle of all quick drivers taking it easy is a turn-off.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 05:04 (Ref:3012170)   #614
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be interesting to know when they decided to impose the minimum time and how they arrived at 2:08.

If it's anything like the Prodsports race at Bathurst this year, they will have considered the slowest cars on the entry list and made the time to suit them, hopefully eliminating the need to send anyone home after qualifying.

I know every entry is important to the promoter, but it does seem a shame though to spoil qualifying for the sake of one or two entries. Perhaps if they specified that all entrants would need a minimum qualifying time of 2:41.00 as part of the regs, then they wouldn't have to impose a time limit, as no one's going to do a sub 2:04 lap.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 06:56 (Ref:3012180)   #615
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafe! View Post
... As it is im now not disapointed at all that i will miss saturdays running and wont worry about trying to make it to future saturdays of the event unless the support card is especially good ...
I haven't committed myself to attend yet. Apart from sorting work commitments, I'm also hanging out to see what level of Sports Sedan interest there will be; assuming I do go, I want to know whether the SS field will be ho-hum or not - if it's good, I'll leave Melbourne Friday night and knock off a good portion of the drive to catch 1 or both of the SS event/s on Saturday. The rest of the support events won't entice me.

The other, cheaper + easier option is just to drive up on Saturday.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 07:00 (Ref:3012181)   #616
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/ere...-12-hour-team/
Old 16 Jan 2012, 07:20 (Ref:3012183)   #617
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Good to hear but not exactly the big news that was due.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 07:32 (Ref:3012184)   #618
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
So only two SLS and no third car for Erebus as had been suggested.

Very strong lineup for the Erebus car. I'll be interested to see how Tim Slade goes in the big Merc. Bleekmolen should be very handy, that Dutchman is versatile in anything he gets behind the wheel of. Only question mark would be Bret Curtis, I know not much of him.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3012188)   #619
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Good to hear but not exactly the big news that was due.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
So only two SLS and no third car for Erebus as had been suggested.

Very strong lineup for the Erebus car. I'll be interested to see how Tim Slade goes in the big Merc. Bleekmolen should be very handy, that Dutchman is versatile in anything he gets behind the wheel of. Only question mark would be Bret Curtis, I know not much of him.
Evidently they weren't able to secure a deal for the third car. Providing these plans (having a third chassis shipped from AMG HQ) were real, they were pretty ambitious.

What's most surprising (to me) is, the original Black Falcon announcement claimed two entries (one with 3x drivers, another with 4x) and, they've opted for the (majority) professional entry to field the larger lineup, with one of the gentleman drivers (Curtis).

This is likely for regulatory reasons (or the result of compromise).
I just figured they'd have lobbied (via AMG/Mercedes) for a younger professional to take the AM seat.

Pretty decent lineup, none the less.

Edit: There's some information concerning Curtis' bio here:
http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...t=driver%7C853

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 16 Jan 2012 at 08:28.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 10:07 (Ref:3012218)   #620
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
as i said the same rule applied last year except it was in the 2.09's (from memory.)

its purpose is to create parity, and also somewhat for safety purposes.

and B24 pole was:
2002 2.15
2003 2.13.2
Thanks, I must have confused the times with the Aston a few years ago.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 03:18 (Ref:3012661)   #621
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What are the chances of a quick car getting hit up the arse in qually when the driver looks at his onboard timing monitor and rolls out of the throttle near the end of a hot lap?
Old 17 Jan 2012, 04:42 (Ref:3012670)   #622
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
What are the chances of a quick car getting hit up the arse in qually when the driver looks at his onboard timing monitor and rolls out of the throttle near the end of a hot lap?
Its certainly possible...

...a few years ago, the late Jason Richards was setting hot times at Bathurst in his Tasman Commodore, he was looking to firstly break the 2.07, and secondly Mr Murphy's practice record.. on completion of a fast lap he promptly spun the car at Hell Corner... the pilot said to have been too busy looking at the dashboard to make it round the bend...

Truckdrivers sometimes do similar things with the NSW 'Safe-T-Cam' point to point time measurement system... stories suggest they go bat out of hell for a goodly proportion of their journey, then pull into a rest area to relax... watching the clock before they go back out and cross the next check point...
Old 17 Jan 2012, 04:57 (Ref:3012671)   #623
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Quote:
Truckdrivers sometimes do similar things with the NSW 'Safe-T-Cam' point to point time measurement system... stories suggest they go bat out of hell for a goodly proportion of their journey, then pull into a rest area to relax... watching the clock before they go back out and cross the next check point...
The funny thing about that is that the concentrate hard, then have a rest break strategy is probably safer than the the long boring slog.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 05:23 (Ref:3012675)   #624
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not too many years ago, a race team truckie told me about doing Melbourne to Oran Park in 9 and a bit hours. When others doubted him, he proudly pulled out the GPS record.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the rig, because apparently at compliant speeds it is almost a 12 or 13 hour haul for memory.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 06:05 (Ref:3012677)   #625
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Not too many years ago, a race team truckie told me about doing Melbourne to Oran Park in 9 and a bit hours. When others doubted him, he proudly pulled out the GPS record.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the rig, because apparently at compliant speeds it is almost a 12 or 13 hour haul for memory.
You can tell a truck driver who doesnt pay for his own fuel then... most like to slipstream with a fleet of other carriers from any and all networks... one sits in front to break the air, the rest follow at close proximity for many miles at a time... to be fair to the lead truck, they eventually break away into the next lane, then to the back of the pack, to enjoy some of that fuel saving aerodynamics...