Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 7 Aug 2009, 22:01 (Ref:2517591)   #1
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
haggispeed has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
best (pop) rivets

Simple question really, what are the best quality rivets to use for panelling. I know there are variations in quality. I have in the past come across ones that are a real pig to drill out, usually the pin / nail is so hard the drill wanders off, are these the good ones or the cheap ones?
Looking on the web I see Cherry, Avdel, Huck under the aerospace sites. Need to use hand riveter, don't have facilities for special tooling, (although may have to consider an air riveter for doing a whole chassis)
Advice welcomed
Old 7 Aug 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2517604)   #2
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A reply . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggispeed View Post
Simple question really, what are the best quality rivets to use for panelling. I know there are variations in quality. I have in the past come across ones that are a real pig to drill out, usually the pin / nail is so hard the drill wanders off, are these the good ones or the cheap ones?
Looking on the web I see Cherry, Avdel, Huck under the aerospace sites. Need to use hand riveter, don't have facilities for special tooling, (although may have to consider an air riveter for doing a whole chassis)
Advice welcomed
The technology in manufacturing these days has rendered the `pop rivet' a commodity item. I would say that your requirements (material, size, etc.)would come first.

Old 7 Aug 2009, 23:23 (Ref:2517621)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have used loads of different ones over the years but I wouldn't know if they are price versus quality related.
What I have found is if you use ones that are too long for the job you will get more trouble with the nail snapping in the wrong place, this can also be caused by the holes being too large. They should break off so you can easily drill the flange side otherwise you can only grind them off.
Its well worth investing in a decent gun rather than one from the Sunday market for a couple of quid, and if you have loads to do a lazy tong cantilever type is more user friendly if you have the access to use it.
The air operated type obviously wont give you w*****s cramp but aren't any faster IMHO
This one is pretty good http://www.toolfastdirect.co.uk/acat...fo_pg206g.html it costs about £35
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Aug 2009, 03:42 (Ref:2517681)   #4
Speedy1
Rookie

United Nations
100km north of San Fransisco
Speedy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
brand not so important

task dictates the rivet
1) proper length
2) material type, stainless or steel or aluminum
aluminum rivet can be purchased with aluminum pull or steel pull

always a good idea to use some bonding agent between the panels
in conjunction with the rivet
light aircraft specs either an epoxy or urethane resin
a thin double sided tape works well
3M has some very good tapes developed to hold together the Fiberglas bodies of large trucks
Old 8 Aug 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2518096)   #5
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
haggispeed has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks guys. I always use the right size rivet, after all who wants all that extra weight with an overlong rivet good point about the mandrel snapping in the wrong place though Gordon, thx, useful looking rivet gun too but I already have a CK one which I've used for a few years and has been excellent, it has 3 jaws instead of the usual two. I am goijng to be rebuilding a Clubmans car so plenty of panelling to do, floor, sides, internal etc, will all be Ally NS4 on to steel spaceframe. Interesting stuff about using a bonding agent, looking around the aircraft sites it seems they make non setting silicones for cabin panels. Anyone got any specific recommendations?
Old 8 Aug 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2518132)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A reply . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggispeed View Post
will all be Ally NS4 on to steel spaceframe. Interesting stuff about using a bonding agent, looking around the aircraft sites it seems they make non setting silicones for cabin panels. Anyone got any specific recommendations?
Not by trade name but you might insure that there is some type of isolation material between the steel & aluminum. Necessary to minimize galvanic corrosion. All the aero stuff probably has it.

Old 9 Aug 2009, 05:22 (Ref:2518222)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised no-one has mentioned the importance of de-burring all of the drill holes in the Ally,both sides,that is. Often ignored and the cause of panel's/rivets coming loose later on.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 08:11 (Ref:2518258)   #8
agricola
Rookie

agricola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Structural rivets

The problem with a pop is nothing other than interference hold the centre in so they are not considered structural in an aircraft sense
When you remove a pop you should first tap the pul stem out, assuming the structure will allow a tap.
Now the aircraft industry tackled that 50+ years ago with the cherry loc a rivet that had a locking ring for the centre stem. These were structural rivets and avdel etc followed.
You needed special tooling they were a total pain to fit, everybody from boeing downwards hated them.
So for the military, and repair processes chery developed the cherry max which can be pulled with a very strong very smooth puller, normally air over hydraulic. There is a hand version but it is expensive and cherry max are several pence each.
So normal pops and glue are your best bet.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2518459)   #9
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks, agricola, I'm alwqys intersted to hear/read about new, to me, technology. Not that I'm likely to use aerospace type pop rivets, but anyway.

Here's all about Cherry rivets: http://www.peerlessaerospace.com/pub..._CHERRYMAX.pdf

Q: Why are US parts sized by No.? These are 4, 5, 6 or 8, which bear no relationship to a whole number of mms or fractions of an inch, except in thou. It's as bad as Standard Wire Guage: http://www.clag.org.uk/swg.html

John
Old 9 Aug 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2518478)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Surprised no-one has mentioned the importance of de-burring all of the drill holes in the Ally,both sides,that is. Often ignored and the cause of panel's/rivets coming loose later on.
Because we were just waiting for you to "pop" in and mention it
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Aug 2009, 05:16 (Ref:2518580)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What,into this 'rivetting' conversation?
Old 10 Aug 2009, 17:06 (Ref:2518950)   #12
agricola
Rookie

agricola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the 4 5 etc refers to 32s so 4 32 is 1/8 of an inch as simple as that simular to hydaulic pipe with dash6 etc.
Avoid cherry loc like the plague but cherrymax if you can afford and pull them are the mutts nuts