Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Oct 2016, 03:35 (Ref:3682667)   #51
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
... which all cars since ~2005 have been.
Not entirely correct. Some manufacturers are still persisting with a catalytic converter. Similar, but not the same.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 03:45 (Ref:3682668)   #52
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Not entirely correct. Some manufacturers are still persisting with a catalytic converter. Similar, but not the same.
just adding some info to your comment

20% of vehicles are diesel

Euro 5 standard comes in in Nov 2016 which should see most diesels have DPFs

Australia’s new emissions rules will put yet another bump in the road for diesels
Old 25 Oct 2016, 04:00 (Ref:3682669)   #53
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Between ADR30/1 and Euro 5 which came in 2011, which light duty vehicle is on the market without a DPF?

EDIT: It is slightly more complicated, "Core" Euro 5 has been a requirement for all new vehicles released since November '13:
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2012C00283

So potentially someone could be selling an old dunger now which is Euro 4, as long as it is old as the hills... Ssangyong or Great Wall?
Old 25 Oct 2016, 04:00 (Ref:3682670)   #54
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
just adding some info to your comment

20% of vehicles are diesel

Euro 5 standard comes in in Nov 2016 which should see most diesels have DPFs

Australia’s new emissions rules will put yet another bump in the road for diesels
And AdBlue...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Oct 2016, 08:54 (Ref:3682708)   #55
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of the top of my head. Izuzu's MUX and DMAX don't run DPF and the 2.8 Prado only scored it this year.

While emissions and manufacturers aim for no black smoke. The amount of issues with the various CRD's they definitely do start smoking...

Smoke or no smoke I still call boring.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 25 Oct 2016, 09:13 (Ref:3682712)   #56
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I really dont think its a competitor to stadium trucks. To even compare them is probably not wise

They are basically a hotted up production vehicle. To race on a track

Stadium trucks are purpose built vehicle with a history of racing on dirt
Fair enough, though I am more talking from the entertainment side of things.

People like that the utes are often loose and banging in to each other. Loud V8 sound too. To replace with production based diesels, a lot of the existing fanbase will see what they like with the Stadium trucks.

I did forget the dirt aspect of the series though. More looking at what we get here
Old 26 Oct 2016, 00:45 (Ref:3682875)   #57
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dual cabs will make sponsor rides more beneficial.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3682931)   #58
Bugger All
Racer

Australia
32 DME to the west Left Fl 210
Bugger All should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
And AdBlue...
How exciting could that make Pit Stops... Change the Desert Duelers, Fill up the Diesel top up the drink bottle and then another hose to top up the AdBlue!! At the depot I drive from we fill AdBlue tanks from a 1000l tank lifted on a forklift and gravity fed into the truck.. There is another exciting avenue the pit lane Manitou... Lets say one fork lift per 3 cars and they can stack if they need to to wait for the hose?
Old 26 Oct 2016, 10:30 (Ref:3682944)   #59
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
key vasc sponsor united fuels provide adblue diesel
Old 27 Oct 2016, 10:28 (Ref:3683336)   #60
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you are really worried about the carbon footprint of sports, better look at those light towers at the MCG & SCG powered by all that wonderful coal generated electricity.
Makes what motorsport emits tame by comparison.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 10:35 (Ref:3683338)   #61
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
If you are really worried about the carbon footprint of sports, better look at those light towers at the MCG & SCG powered by all that wonderful coal generated electricity.
Makes what motorsport emits tame by comparison.
Well exactly, but in the same breath ******s who drive electric "zero emissions" cars in Victoria just don't get the irony.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 12:02 (Ref:3683352)   #62
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or the 12080 aircraft in the air around the world right now burning all that beaut jet fuel. Never less than that at anytime day or night.
Old 4 Nov 2016, 11:27 (Ref:3685293)   #63
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Reading that the top two selling vehicles for the October were the hilux and the ranger.
Old 4 Nov 2016, 18:50 (Ref:3685359)   #64
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they missed a trick with the Gen2 rules - if manufacturers truly want to participate with cars that sell on Monday, having the rules allow for ute body shapes plus diesel might have been more relevant and in the end better received by manufacturers ...
Old 5 Nov 2016, 02:58 (Ref:3685426)   #65
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
watched both the utes and the ssanyongs . definately enjoyed the ssanyongs more, although they dont sound as good.

racing was more entertaining, and a much bigger field in the ssanyongs as i guess people have moved fields.

That being said not sure how much the superutes will be similar to ssanyongs
Old 6 Nov 2016, 04:32 (Ref:3685744)   #66
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
watched both the utes and the ssanyongs . definately enjoyed the ssanyongs more, although they dont sound as good.

racing was more entertaining, and a much bigger field in the ssanyongs as i guess people have moved fields.

That being said not sure how much the superutes will be similar to ssanyongs
I didn't mind the in car sounds, arguably better the the in-car V8 Supetcar sound where all you his driveline noise.

I enjoyed the races too.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 05:28 (Ref:3685764)   #67
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me motor sport is to an extent aspirational and not just entertainment. probably why GT3 is my favourite class, I lust after Aston Martins, and I would also happily swap my 300ZX for an R35 GT-R (LOL).

I have zero interest in owning or driving a twin cab type HiLux/Navara/Ranger/Colorado ute, but would very happily have an FG or BF ute in the driveway.

As such, the Ssangyongs did absolutely nothing for me on the box today, and I would expect to have the same feelings when the SuperUtes appear. I would have been more interested if they had gone with a V8 engine swap - because I would love to have an LS3 motor swapped into the Z. Hence, aspirational.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 06:19 (Ref:3685785)   #68
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
For me motor sport is to an extent aspirational and not just entertainment. probably why GT3 is my favourite class, I lust after Aston Martins, and I would also happily swap my 300ZX for an R35 GT-R (LOL).

I have zero interest in owning or driving a twin cab type HiLux/Navara/Ranger/Colorado ute, but would very happily have an FG or BF ute in the driveway.

As such, the Ssangyongs did absolutely nothing for me on the box today, and I would expect to have the same feelings when the SuperUtes appear. I would have been more interested if they had gone with a V8 engine swap - because I would love to have an LS3 motor swapped into the Z. Hence, aspirational.
not everyone can afford a million dollars to go GT3 racing.

Some people just want to have a bit of fun in something reasonably affordable and reasonable competitive without a lot of stress while giving there business some attention in front of large crowds. thus we have classes like this that the common person can relate to it
Old 6 Nov 2016, 06:49 (Ref:3685803)   #69
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, neither can I, and never will. The odd track day in my 25 year old Nissan is my limit. But this is where the aspirational factor comes in, and it doesn't matter how affordable they are, I have absolutely no desire to own a twin cab ute, and no desire to see them race. However, given their current position in the market place, I don't doubt that there will be people that will want to race them, and others that want to watch them race.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 06:59 (Ref:3685808)   #70
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
SuperUtes

Quote:

Some people just want to have a bit of fun in something reasonably affordable and reasonable competitive without a lot of stress while giving there business some attention in front of large crowds. thus we have classes like this that the common person can relate to it

I'm one of those common people as are you and GT3 is a lot more relatable then a V8 Supercar these days. At least the vast majority of GT3 cars run the same engine one would in the street car unlike Supercars. It's a testimony to the series marketing or more likely how ignorant people are when most casual fans still think the Supercars run a modified road car engine which GT3 do (with the exception of the Camaro for one).

I've watched the Ssangyong series before, I found them mildly entertaining but certainly didn't make me want to go out and buy one.

A field full of diesel pickups doesn't do anything for me, the appeal of the V8 Utes for me was noise and spectacle along with actually wanting to buy one. Rangers, BT50s etc, I don't care for them-they don't have the same noise and drama, why would I want to watch them on a racetrack?
Old 6 Nov 2016, 07:04 (Ref:3685811)   #71
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I'm one of those common people as are you and GT3 is a lot more relatable then a V8 Supercar these days. At least the vast majority of GT3 cars run the same engine one would in the street car unlike Supercars. It's a testimony to the series marketing or more likely how ignorant people are when most casual fans still think the Supercars run a modified road car engine which GT3 do (with the exception of the Camaro for one).

I've watched the Ssangyong series before, I found them mildly entertaining but certainly didn't make me want to go out and buy one.

A field full of diesel pickups doesn't do anything for me, the appeal of the V8 Utes for me was noise and spectacle along with actually wanting to buy one. Rangers, BT50s etc, I don't care for them-they don't have the same noise and drama, why would I want to watch them on a racetrack?
You quoted me and yet you never referred to what i wrote.

just created a whole lot of strawman

There was as many ssangyongs racing on the weekend as there was gt3 cars the previous weekend, just 5 times the crowd

the number 1 and 2 selling cars were the hilux and the ranger, clearly plenty of people want to buy them

however motoring racing is not all about the spectator as gt3 shows

Last edited by peckstar; 6 Nov 2016 at 07:09.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 07:28 (Ref:3685822)   #72
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Maybe if they have to carry a load of building supplies and tow a cement mixer it would spice things up?.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 07:32 (Ref:3685824)   #73
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Maybe if they have to carry a load of building supplies and tow a cement mixer it would spice things up?.
which is really like saying a gt3 should carry a passenger because they are a two seater
Old 6 Nov 2016, 14:11 (Ref:3685955)   #74
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
We? You and I?

So pay Robbie Gordon a licensing fee, set up a similar series in Australia but with various marques bodies (Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Great Wall etc) with a cheap buy in and a REC style entry point, and bang, away you go.
That's a better idea than the new Superutes, I think.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 20:40 (Ref:3686041)   #75
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
That's a better idea than the new Superutes, I think.
really $400,000 cars are better than $100,000 cars. How many will you be buying.