Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: FIA changes - What do you think?
2 Thumbs up! - A major step in the right direction 43 37.39%
1 thumb up - generally very good news 39 33.91%
Can't decide - some good - some bad 11 9.57%
1 Thumb down - A few good ideas but most are stupid 12 10.43%
2 thumbs down - I hate everything 7 6.09%
What changes? 3 2.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Jan 2003, 10:10 (Ref:476025)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
FIA changes - Thumbs up or thumbs down?

OK - we have a thread for dicussing the changes, this is just a poll to see what we think.

Previous changes have recieved a lukewarm to icy reception in the past, but after reading this forum and a few others generally fans are both shocked and pleased about the changes.

What do you think?
Old 16 Jan 2003, 10:49 (Ref:476054)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I'm goint to wait until I see what is being implemented and what will be postponed/delayed in implementation beore I vote. I have my doubts about the banning of the electronic controls even by the beginning of 2004 the way I read the press release.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 11:09 (Ref:476071)   #3
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for "2 thumbs up - a major step in the right direction". As I said in the other thread, I'm sceptical towards some of the changes, while there are other changes which could have been made which hasn't. But, taking the overall picture into account, I also believe the FIA deserves credit for finally being brave enough to actually do something drastic (very drastic!) to - in my view - improve F1. So that's why I give them 2 thumbs up. One for the changes, and one for the bravery.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 11:35 (Ref:476090)   #4
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
The racing as it stands is ****-boring. You have adverts on TV by computer companies boasting about how they can re-map engines and solve mechanical problems while the car is half a lap away. You have teams going to the wall, or approaching it at speed with a worrying regularity. As a marshal, I personally am sick to death of people coming up to me on a Monday morning and ranting on about how ****ing bored they were watching the race..... Need I go on?

The rules as they stand have created this malaise. So change them. The only real cost will be the redundancy packages for a few thousand computer whizzes.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 11:56 (Ref:476106)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
The poll is going well. 80% giving the changes a positive response.

That said guys, this thread is really for voting only. We have an excellent thread for comments here.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 11:58 (Ref:476109)   #6
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by R
But, taking the overall picture into account, I also believe the FIA deserves credit for finally being brave enough to actually do something drastic (very drastic!) to - in my view - improve F1.
Two thumbs up from me, and I couldn't put it any better than R did. To me the big about face here is that they have addressed the two biggest areas that divide the rich from the poor teams, namely, the electronics and the engines. For sure building an engine that will last for six races will probably never happen, but requiring the builders to supply more than one team at reasonable prices could help to even out the budgets. Requiring standard electronics is an even better approach because it will both result in cost savings and, hopefully, put the drivers back in control of their cars. I am really optimistic for the first time in several years that the corner has been turned and the boredom will be coming to and end.

Old 16 Jan 2003, 12:46 (Ref:476146)   #7
Peter B

Two thumbs from me also.

Anything that will potentially give closer racing and therefore stop me having Sunday afternoon naps can only be a good thing!

Old 16 Jan 2003, 12:50 (Ref:476150)   #8
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
One thumb down, I would have voted 2 thumbs down, but the one thumb had the word "food" in it - mmmm.... food...
Old 16 Jan 2003, 13:23 (Ref:476187)   #9
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for cant decide. A lot of good and yet a lot of bad, I wouldnt know where to start.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 13:56 (Ref:476217)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I voted "what changes" - not because I don't know what they are, but really because I can't summon up an ounce of enthusiasm.....
Old 16 Jan 2003, 14:03 (Ref:476224)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One thumbs up I said, mostly I'm pleased as this should improve the spectacle and hopefully make the driver amke more difference. People worried about the loss of some of the most high-tech stuff can go to a flipping motor show, the rest of us want to watch a thrilling race.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 14:17 (Ref:476233)   #12
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
two thumbs up. were going to have drivers driving cars now instead of cars driving drivers.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 17:31 (Ref:476378)   #13
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Generally good news, but it has happened again. The FIA has bowed to bernies remarks again and changed some major rules at a drop of a hat, meaning that all the money teams spent of electronics last few months have gone down the drain, oh well when will they learn?
Old 16 Jan 2003, 17:47 (Ref:476390)   #14
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only one thumb up until they bring back slicks, wide track cars and limit wing sizes.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 17:51 (Ref:476396)   #15
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thumbs up, especially rear wing and brake restrictions are just what I wanted!

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 16 Jan 2003, 18:06 (Ref:476403)   #16
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
OK, I don't hate *everything* - just 99% of everything. So 2 thumbs down from me, plus a couple of big toes. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times - Knee-jerk reaction, bad in the long run.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 18:29 (Ref:476432)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wo-hoo! I'm not alone!!!!!!
Old 16 Jan 2003, 18:35 (Ref:476436)   #18
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One thumb up-they're too vague and leaving too much wiggle room.

The intention is good and it shows that they were listening.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 00:08 (Ref:476754)   #19
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thumb up. Cost cutting is needed. But no spare car??
Old 17 Jan 2003, 00:15 (Ref:476755)   #20
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I give it two thumbs up simply for the removal of the driver aids, but I am not so sure of the no spare car rule and the long life engines in years to come.

But don't think I'm not thrilled to pieces with these announcements...I am now actually looking forward to the next Grand Prix in a way I haven't for a long time. I can't wait.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 00:56 (Ref:476781)   #21
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A step back for future innovations two thumbs down
Old 17 Jan 2003, 04:04 (Ref:476865)   #22
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think they have been what we have been looking for, and maybe even more.

We have wanted the driving to return to the driver, and now we have it. There are is really only about two things i have a problem with.

Car to pit telemetry, i hope that it does not mean the engineers cannot see the data the car gains once back in the pits, but i am wishfully assuming it means they cannot see the data as the car goes around, not that they can do anything to the car when it is on the track anyway anymore.

The other is, the Car to pit radio. I can understand the banning of pit to car radio, as that can hamper the delivery of team orders, but Car to pit? how can the driver give the important message to the team, about things like pit stops, "pitting now" will no be gone and a lap or two would have to be given until the driver knows he can pit (assuming pitboards are used).

Generally i am happy, but am wondering how easy it will be for the engineers and how seriously thought out the decisions were as the late timing of these decisions announcement seems they were a little rushed.

But this is what we have been looking for, definatelly an improvement.

Tom.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 11:24 (Ref:478079)   #23
GXH
Racer

GXH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 thumbs up people, We cant be scared of change, sometimes its 4 the good sometimes its not i guess we will just have 2 wait and see......
Old 18 Jan 2003, 17:00 (Ref:478296)   #24
Joe Machado
Rookie

Joe Machado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Call me an old timer if you wish! I still think drivers should to what they are paid for:-To drive. F1 as it is today is a few steps away from becoming a remote control car competition. We can see the US Air Force remote control planes doing the job safely and effectively without pilots and loss of life. How tough can it be to do the same with the cars? I would love to see the complete elimination of drivers aids, automatic transmission, carbon brakes, grooved tires and telemetry. As Senna used to say:- Traction control is my right foot!

Last edited by Joe Machado; 18 Jan 2003 at 17:02.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 20:36 (Ref:478392)   #25
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Show the potential boycotters this poll, will they listen? Unlikely, even though the fact is that most people support the changes.