Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Jul 2009, 20:14 (Ref:2509457)   #1
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing numbers in the 1950s and 1960s

Ok, I know that people may find this a bit esoteric, but if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. I came across a book from my childhood, Racing Cars of the World, published by Hippo Books, in 1962. It's in a 3" by 5" format, with entries for 64 then-current and historic single-seat racing cars, with one page of specifications and a full-page photo for each car. Looking at the photos of the cars, I was struck by the differences in the way the race numbers were applied. Some looked professionally done; others looked like they were applied by chimpanzees. Sometimes there was a bit of an overkill, as in Stirling Moss's car at a race in Italy in 1956*:

I know that in Formula One, etc., permanent racing numbers for the full season weren't introduced until the early 1970s. Before that date, each race organiser handed out individual numbers, meaning that even a famous driver such as Jim Clark could drive car #5 in one Grand Prix, then #3 in the next, and so on, as in these shots from 1967 (I love putting the driver's name on the car, too). A blank circle was often left for the number to be applied.

My questions are these:

How were the numbers applied? Painted by hand, painted with stencils, decals, stickers? If they were painted over for each race, wouldn't that get a bit heavy by the end of the season?

Who was responsible for applying the numbers? The race organisers or the teams? If the latter, did each team have someone with artistic ability assigned to apply the numbers at each event?

How were the numbers assigned? Order of entry? I know that Stirling Moss considered "7" his lucky number, and tried to race a car with the number "7", or a multiple of "7", such as "28", whenever he could. Could drivers request a specific number?

Why did it take so long for F1 to go with permanant numbers for a full season? I can see individual numbers in each race for the lower formulas, where entry was fluid, but in F1, it would seem logical to provide stable numbers for the major teams, and still have a few high numbers still available for "one-offs".

Anyone who was there, at the time, if you could fill me in, I'd appreciate it.

* Just to be clear, I grabbed the photos from the web, not from the book I mentioned.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2509519)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Not a lot of people know this",as the saying goe's,but Stirling also has No7 as his Race License Number.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 23:02 (Ref:2509567)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I know that for the works teams in the Mille Miglia each car would have its starting time painted on the car, which would allow spectators some indication of their relative placement.
Up until the advent of the stick on variety the works teams and most the better prepared privateer cars numbers were hand painted or sprayed on using thin flexible stencils.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Aug 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2524162)   #4
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I know that for the works teams in the Mille Miglia each car would have its starting time painted on the car, which would allow spectators some indication of their relative placement.
They had a signpainter at the Miglia, there's footage of him at work in a Motorfilms Quarterly DVD. All by hand, seemingly always the same which gave the numbers a distinctive house style. Mercedes was an exception - it had its own typography, presumably stickers. Indy had a painter as well, there's an article about him in one of the Clymer yearbooks.

Numbers were assigned in different ways. The British Grand Prix 1952, for example, was in alphabetical order of car name, so number 1 was the Alta of Graham Whitehead, and so on, via Aston-Butterworth, Connaught, Cooper, Ferrari, Gordini and HWM to Maserati at 32-5. Le Mans sometimes did so in descending order of engine capacity; in 1952 again the big 7 litre Cunninghams were 1-3 and the Monopoles and Panhards in the 750cc category were in the fifties and sixties. And Monaco sometimes put them in alphabetical order of country of entry. So 1959 saw Porsche (Allemagne) at 2, 4 and 6, the Equipe Nationale Belge Coopers (Belgique) at 10-12, Lucienbonnet (France) at 14, BRMs/Lotus/Cooper (Grande Bretagne) at 16-44 , Ferrari/Maserati (Italie) at 46-54 , Chiron's private Maserati (Monaco) at 56. Continentals seemed to avoid odd numbers for two reasons; firstly, superstition (13/17 would be missed out); secondly, practice would be done with odd numbers, so pirate programme sellers would not be able to stick the official entry list in their wares.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2524197)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
secondly, practice would be done with odd numbers, so pirate programme sellers would not be able to stick the official entry list in their wares.
And the ticket/programme touts today think they thought of it !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Aug 2009, 21:02 (Ref:2530690)   #6
alfaronny
Rookie

alfaronny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the book: "La Targa Florio della Giulietta" by Gino Giugno
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19580511 TF #16 GSV ARENA-PAGANO_02.JPG (1.04 MB, 14 views)
Old 28 Jul 2009, 07:46 (Ref:2509703)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
back in the good old days we still ghad a generation of very talented 'signwriters'

as well as stencils/spray I wonder whether some meetings had signwriters at hand to don numbers for people?
Old 28 Jul 2009, 08:08 (Ref:2509716)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The first computer operated vinyl cutters, a large machine called a Gerber and very expensive did'nt appear till the 80's I believe so it would have been stencils or hand painted. Maybe before that they used a hand operated pentagraph type device as used in old engraving processes where you traced around a number and the head of the machine cut it out.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2509739)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've cut my own numbers out from vinyl roundels when times is 'ard or I've not had time to get proper ones done.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2509775)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well,Fablon is cheap Zef.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2509903)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Pot of paint and a brush even cheaper!
Old 26 Apr 2020, 16:11 (Ref:3972970)   #12
FoxyRacer
Rookie

England
East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire
FoxyRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Pot of paint and a brush even cheaper!
Len Taft of Nottingham Sports Car Club was the man with the poster paints in the 60s and 70s.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2510274)   #13
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I started my marshalling career at Castle Combe in 1964 as a startline marshal, gridding up the cars. As that meant that I had nothing to do in the mornings, it became my job to paint (a mix of black paint and oil) the numbers on the cars as they arrived for scrutineering. Of course this was at club race meetings.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 17:15 (Ref:2514072)   #14
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure you could buy sets of (reusable?) adhesive numbers in the early sixties from places like Les Leston, but they wern't mandatory and there was a signwriter available (however amatuer) at most meetings for those that saved their pennies.

Numbers were generally assigned in order of receipt of entres, with blocks allocated to each race, but some clubs really did allocate on a first come bases so race 1 would be numbers 3, 46, 97 etc race 2 1, 23, 34 and so on.

In the 50's the 500 Club/BRSCC did tend to use standard numbers through the season at their Brands meetings, at least for regulars.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 22:23 (Ref:2514243)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes thinking about it they were probably die cut like you would odd shaped printed cards and leaflets. Basically you have a die made up and that is used to press out the shape bit like one of those pastry cutters yer mum had, its still used on screen printed vinyl.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 13:56 (Ref:2522345)   #16
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hand Painted

Unless you had money to burn in the sixties, then you had a brush, and a ball of chalk. Crushed the chalk, wet it and hey presto!
Then along came vynil!
Old 16 Aug 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2522351)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Vinyl the most misspelt word in the universe! (Hi Gerry)
Old 18 Aug 2009, 22:33 (Ref:2524026)   #18
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember a 1950's US movie (fiction) where the sports car drivers in a club race were given self adhesive numbers by the race organiser.

Self adhesive numbers were around in 1958 and Cooper used them to good effect to enable both drivers to qualify with the one 2.2 litre car.

But I understood that most people had permanent white roundels and used "tyre paint" (the black paint that the likes of Bernie Ecclestone, Roy Salvadori, Frank Williams and other S/H car dealers used to make the tyres of their sales stock look as good as new.) The paint could be cleaned off with a rag soaked in petrol and a new number put on next week.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 29 Aug 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2530698)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
And not a vinyl plotter in sight, good find :-).
Old 26 Sep 2009, 20:14 (Ref:2548756)   #20
alfaronny
Rookie

alfaronny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1949 Targa Florio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tf_1949_349.jpg (11.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 28 Sep 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2549857)   #21
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry Al, I never woz verrri gud at spellification.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2549874)   #22
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Careful, Gerry; Weyman's hired goons may already be on their way way to subject you to 'ze vinyl solution'.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2555836)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So his number's up, then?
Old 4 Sep 2019, 05:58 (Ref:3925701)   #24
bobsmyuncle
Rookie

bobsmyuncle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to drag this one out of the back pages but I've searched and searched and this thread is the closest I've come to finding an answer on the roundels themselves.

There is quite a bit of knowledge in the responses so I'm hoping I might finally lay this to rest.

I 'think' I've gleaned from the comments here the correct assumption, however to be perfectly clear in the 60s, particularly the late 60s would roundels have been painted on, or would they have used some sort of sticker (I assume no vinyl)?

Any contributions would be appreciated. Funny how knowledge of the little things fades over time. Thanks in advance.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 06:57 (Ref:3925714)   #25
bobsmyuncle
Rookie

bobsmyuncle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This survivor still has me guessing...https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-racing-relic#