Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Sep 2019, 11:59 (Ref:3927898)   #1036
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
...and WilliamsF1 will continue to build their own transmissions Here

Based on the original blueprints drawn by Ettore Bugatti on which the copyright has expired no doubt. Why why why????
Old 14 Sep 2019, 13:47 (Ref:3927911)   #1037
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree it doesn't make sense, but I expect the argument is that the proposal to move to a standard gearbox cassette was ditched earlier this year. So while they struggle to produce aero bits, they feel the need to devote budget on design, testing and construction of gearboxes.

I expect the the standard cassette idea was ditched as some teams feel they have some serious secret sauce stuff going on that differentiates them from their peers. Or are doing something different in the gearbox (that wouldn't be replicated in a standard unit) that works in conjunction with the engine in a unique way.

Do I think Williams is in this category? I doubt it. So like others, it continues to look dumb to me. Clearly Williams are great at making technical decisions! The proof is in the pudding!

Richard
Old 14 Sep 2019, 20:35 (Ref:3927975)   #1038
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
The proof is in the pudding!

Richard
No it's not. It's in the eating.

The phrase is "the proof of the pudding is in the eating," meaning that no matter how good something looks it's the taste that decides whether it's good or not.

Sorry. Hobby horse of mine. Back to Williams's plans

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 14 Sep 2019, 20:42 (Ref:3927977)   #1039
djinvicta
Subscriber
Veteran

Wales
French France
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
As I said earlier.. dig deep into the accounts. Williams are great as a Group financially.... Paddy did not help.. nor Mr Smedley...Both overgrown their tenure in F!..
Old 14 Sep 2019, 22:53 (Ref:3927995)   #1040
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
No it's not. It's in the eating.
Well, that is what I get for trying to use what I believe is a predominately UK idiom. I will try again, but this time using something a bit more natural for me...

Williams is still doing their own gearbox? Well bless their heart!

Richard
Old Yesterday, 00:01 (Ref:3928008)   #1041
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Well, that is what I get for trying to use what I believe is a predominately UK idiom. I will try again, but this time using something a bit more natural for me...

Williams is still doing their own gearbox? Well bless their heart!

Richard
Or perhaps another:

"None so blind as those who will not see!"
Old Yesterday, 00:04 (Ref:3928009)   #1042
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
As I said earlier.. dig deep into the accounts. Williams are great as a Group financially.... Paddy did not help.. nor Mr Smedley...Both overgrown their tenure in F!..
I am sure that neither Paddy or Rob helped Williams' financial position, both were trying to build better racing cars whilst the rest of the management group was apparently trying to spend as little as possible on F1.