Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Sep 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2758258)   #1
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
JSPC 1985-1987: Advan Alpha Porsche - who deserves the glory?

Hi,

One of my colleagues has bought a few model cars for his son, amongst them a few Porsche 962s.
He started reading the car history on the boxes, and suddenly the cars were no good any more...

The boy is suffering from autism, and he claims that they are worthless because at least one of the is fake.

The problem is with the Advan Porsche 962 as seen in the JSPC in the 80s. He now has 2 virtually identical cars but with different descriptions:

One of the boxes claims the Advan Alpha 956/962 was one of the first to appear in Japan, was fielded by Nova Engineering, and won 3 championships in a row (1985-1987)
The info sheet on the other Advan Alpha car told him it was entered by Tomei and won the 1985, 1986 and 1987 championship.

My colleague told the kid that there would probably be a good explanation, and asked me if I could find out more.

I checked the net and a few books but instead of making it easier, it seems to get even more complicated.

I have found 3 companies that claim to have won the JSPC 1985-1987 races with the same car.

Taisan:
http://www.facebook.com/teamtaisan

Tomei:
http://translate.google.com/translat...tml%2F9-5.html
(1984 & 1985)
http://translate.google.com/translat...tml%2F9-6.html
(only 1986)

Nova:
http://translate.google.com/translat...index3res.html

On racingsportscars.com, the car is entered as follows:

1985: Advan Sport Nova
1986: Advan Sport Nova
1987: Advan Alpha Nova

1988: Advan Alpha Nova (on the car: Alpha Windsurfing)

1989: 25 = Advan Alpha Nova // 26 = Advan Alpha Tomei

1990:
#1 = Advan Alpha Nova (on car: the words "Alpha" & "Taisan Group")
#2 = Alpha Racing (on the car: the words "Alpha" & "Taisan") - this car is on Bridgestoen tires, hence the disappearance of "Advan" in the entry?
#7 = The Alpha Racing (the word "Alpha" is in different lettering -- i think this car is unrelated)

1991:
2 = Team Taisan Klepper
3 = Team Taisan Klepper

I would guess Advan and Alpha are in fact the sponsors of the car (Advan Yokohama tires - and Alpha = Windsurfing equipment?)

The entry name Advan Alpha Nova seems to suggest Nova Engineering was indeed involved, but later on the word Taisan appears on the car (while still an Advan Alpha Nova entry?) and the 2nd car in 1990 seems to be involved with Tomei.

Does anyone know who was responsable for the entry of this car?
If nobody knows, I will probably make something up to appease the kid's mind, but of course the true story would be better.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 14:16 (Ref:2758754)   #2
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Advan Porsche

Hello,

The #1 car is probably the one listed as SPARK KBS 055, PORSCHE 962 C "Advan" Fuji'86 #1.
The KBS part denotes that the model was made for the Japanese importer of Spark Models.

The #25 is probably, Spark KBS054 Porsche 962C Advan 1000 Km Suzuka 1989 N°25. There was certainly a car like that running in the 1989 JSPC under the banner Advan Alpha Nova (racingsportscars.com).

At least those are what is listed. However, Spark do very occassionally get their model assignments wrong (but not often). Hope that helps.
Old 26 Apr 2020, 15:22 (Ref:3972963)   #3
Tique
Racer

France
Paris
Tique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
The entry name Advan Alpha Nova seems to suggest Nova Engineering was indeed involved, but later on the word Taisan appears on the car (while still an Advan Alpha Nova entry?) and the 2nd car in 1990 seems to be involved with Tomei.

The Porsche 962C that has run the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1990 has been entered by The Aplha Team which is different than the Advan Alpha Nova or Advan Alpha Tomei.

For the Alpha Team, the team has run in JSPC from 1989 until 1991. For the first season, they had Brun Motorsport as technical partner and for the Season 2 and 3, Tomei was the technical partner. Alpha was the name of an architectural company. The team has been in operation for 3 years. You can still see the car that has finished third in Le Mans if you go to Le Mans Classic.

Coming back to The Advan Alpha Nova and Advan Alpha Tomei team, Advan was a sponsor as Alpha. Alpha is a pump brand. The company that is manufacturing the pumps is Taisan and this company is owned by Mr. Ricky Chiba. So it is why that some cars that have run under the team name of Advan Alpha Nova has been bought eigher by Nova Enginering or Mr. Chibba. I don't think Tomei has ever bought a 962 so they must have been only a technical partner.

Mr. Chibba later owned a team named Team Taisan.

A bit late but I hope this help....