Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Feb 2019, 19:17 (Ref:3885372)   #476
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My Post from the Launch thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Williams according to the Sky Sports, will have the car arrive in the early hours of tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. So hopefully for them they will get a few shakedown laps if nothing else later in the day.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3885376)   #477
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Hopefully Confirmation then! Thanks.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 20:58 (Ref:3885422)   #478
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
not releasing a part? that's the job of a lowly bill of materials administrator. usually paid around £20k. if this employee is saying it's all their fault...
Old 19 Feb 2019, 21:33 (Ref:3885432)   #479
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is the sound we hear the Last Post, playing in recognition of the fallen?

This is very sad.. to have been THE team a couple of decades ago, to not even being able to put a car into a truck on time...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Feb 2019, 03:23 (Ref:3885457)   #480
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
This is the bit that I find more concerning than the late delivery, late delivery is just a symptom:

"2) Overall morale in the team is “low ----”. “We’re being worked like dogs, treated like ----, and HR is a ------- joke”

3) “We’re often wondering who’s in charge around here”
Williams seem to be in a lot of mess, a mess that needs to be sorted if they want to see themselves anywhere close to the top."
Old 20 Feb 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3885487)   #481
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
This is the bit that I find more concerning than the late delivery, late delivery is just a symptom:

"2) Overall morale in the team is “low ----”. “We’re being worked like dogs, treated like ----, and HR is a ------- joke”

Williams seem to be in a lot of mess, a mess that needs to be sorted if they want to see themselves anywhere close to the top."
I totally agree, but would alter your third comment by removing the last four words...
Old 20 Feb 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3885531)   #482
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Is the sound we hear the Last Post, playing in recognition of the fallen?

This is very sad.. to have been THE team a couple of decades ago, to not even being able to put a car into a truck on time...

Stuck in a time warp, you can't run a team of 600 plus staff relying on FOM results income and sponsorship, the rate card for which has tumbled like a stone from 10 or 20 years ago. Williams pride themselves on being a pure constructor, but as Haas and Sauber (Alfa) are showing, using listed components via an alliance with another manufacturer gives you a proven base to develop from. Freeing up resources to actually develp and engineer the car. This is the modern way, the car indusrty is led by platform sharing among brands. Does Claire really beleieve that Mercedes 1000 staff and almost unlimited Daimler resources will build a worse gearbox and rear end of the car than Williams will build themselves? Why take pride in doing everthing yourself even if it results in a worse product?

II'm not advocating customer cars per se, but it makes sense to buy in what proven and well designed elements you can and then focus on the rest of the car.

To me Williams are keeping themselves geared up for another manufacturer works team deal, that is never going to come. The manufacturer money is going to FE, not F1. The Alfa deal is really just an extension of the Ferrari deal with Sauber and is branding led.

Liberty are tendering for common gearbox internals from 2021, with the teams just making the casings so they fit their rear end design, so Williams won't need a gearbox dept in 18 months time, so why not buy this in now from Mercedes, a unit that is designed by them to match their engine.

It is often said that countries always equip themselves to fight the last war and Williams seems to be doing the same it is seemingly running the team on the lines of 10 to 15 years ago, but without the results.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 11:39 (Ref:3885550)   #483
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Stuck in a time warp, you can't run a team of 600 plus staff relying on FOM results income and sponsorship, the rate card for which has tumbled like a stone from 10 or 20 years ago. Williams pride themselves on being a pure constructor, but as Haas and Sauber (Alfa) are showing, using listed components via an alliance with another manufacturer gives you a proven base to develop from. Freeing up resources to actually develp and engineer the car. This is the modern way, the car indusrty is led by platform sharing among brands. Does Claire really beleieve that Mercedes 1000 staff and almost unlimited Daimler resources will build a worse gearbox and rear end of the car than Williams will build themselves? Why take pride in doing everthing yourself even if it results in a worse product?

II'm not advocating customer cars per se, but it makes sense to buy in what proven and well designed elements you can and then focus on the rest of the car.

To me Williams are keeping themselves geared up for another manufacturer works team deal, that is never going to come. The manufacturer money is going to FE, not F1. The Alfa deal is really just an extension of the Ferrari deal with Sauber and is branding led.

Liberty are tendering for common gearbox internals from 2021, with the teams just making the casings so they fit their rear end design, so Williams won't need a gearbox dept in 18 months time, so why not buy this in now from Mercedes, a unit that is designed by them to match their engine.

It is often said that countries always equip themselves to fight the last war and Williams seems to be doing the same it is seemingly running the team on the lines of 10 to 15 years ago, but without the results.
Maybe Team Willy will be bidding for the gearbox supply deal? That would keep their transmission guys busy!
Old 20 Feb 2019, 11:48 (Ref:3885553)   #484
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

2 says to me it’s someone who obviously hasn’t worked in non-f1 motorsport before

3 doesn’t really matter unless you’re a HOD. if you’re not, your HOD is in charge.

says more about themselves than williams to be honest. if you don’t like it, leave.

not saying williams don’t need to sort themselves out, but this just reads like the office whinger who would complain that his bonus free unicorn wasn’t sparkly.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 12:22 (Ref:3885558)   #485
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
2 says to me it’s someone who obviously hasn’t worked in non-f1 motorsport before

3 doesn’t really matter unless you’re a HOD. if you’re not, your HOD is in charge.

says more about themselves than williams to be honest. if you don’t like it, leave.

not saying williams don’t need to sort themselves out, but this just reads like the office whinger who would complain that his bonus free unicorn wasn’t sparkly.
Can't say I agree. I don't think this has anything to do with motorsport, and these issues apply to a lot of companies in the world. Having a firm leader and a good sense of direction is vitally important even to a bottom rung person, especially when what you are trying to achieve is actually a difficult task.

If your staff view the company as a joke and nobody is happy, results won't be good. Regardless if you're dealing with F1 cars, oil rigs, tins of beans or buses. Giving this a pass and saying "He can leave" because it's motorsport is not an answer. And if people are leaving because they are unhappy, then you're not going to get the talent required to do well.

I'm sure the bonus free unicorn wasn't at all a Freddo.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 13:44 (Ref:3885565)   #486
ggreen29
Racer

ggreen29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
this just reads like the office whinger who would complain that his bonus free unicorn wasn’t sparkly.
From the original report, “I've spoken with three Williams personnel (two are trackside, one is factory based)...”

So it’s at least 3 office whiners who say overall morale is low, and ‘we’ don’t know who’s in charge. Perhaps you and Claire are right and there’s nothing wrong with management at Williams, but I think that’s as likely as unicorns.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3885571)   #487
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
out of all my friends in motorsport (and my own experience), i’ve almost never heard one of them say “they were such an effective boss”. i think the exception in all of that is toto wolff. everyone has beef with their tm or hod...

see my signature for my standard disclaimer. but context is a massively valuable tool in assessing comments like those in the link, and it has none of that. i’m just adding some on the other side.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 16:26 (Ref:3885592)   #488
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
its obviously something to talk about but do we know who originally posted the story on twitter/reddit? not the names of the sources but the person or journalist who got the inside info?

im not saying they are wrong and, i would agree, it resonates because it is believable but its also looks to be coming from a pretty random place imo.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3885605)   #489
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The paint scheme looks better on Track than in the publicity photos....big empty space on the rear wing endplates for a sponsor though.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 17:55 (Ref:3885611)   #490
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So that's 23 laps today

most teams did more laps on their shakedown/filmday

so Williams is already 3 days behind now
Old 20 Feb 2019, 18:07 (Ref:3885613)   #491
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well they are already playing catch up. Not a good sign
Old 20 Feb 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3885616)   #492
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At least they are now playing catchup. They are in a better place than yesterday.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 18:35 (Ref:3885618)   #493
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
At least they are now playing catchup. They are in a better place than yesterday.
EXCACTLY E.B. let's try to be positive...
Old 20 Feb 2019, 18:44 (Ref:3885620)   #494
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The paint scheme looks better on Track than in the publicity photos....big empty space on the rear wing endplates for a sponsor though.
agree, from the side it looks really good, and not too far beyond the familiar martini colours. hopefully it'll at least allow them to gain decent track time, and find the issues and strengths before the season starts.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 18:45 (Ref:3885621)   #495
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
So that's 23 laps today

most teams did more laps on their shakedown/filmday

so Williams is already 3 days behind now
Most teams broke the rules then, as the filming day is max 100km and Williams did that.

And they can still do the filming day this weekend...
Old 20 Feb 2019, 20:01 (Ref:3885628)   #496
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Most teams broke the rules then, as the filming day is max 100km and Williams did that.

And they can still do the filming day this weekend...
only just, meanwhile they are still 3 days behind on everyone else
Old 20 Feb 2019, 20:21 (Ref:3885630)   #497
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
For us "oldies", you can just hear what Patrick Head would be saying...
Old 21 Feb 2019, 10:17 (Ref:3885729)   #498
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
For us "oldies", you can just hear what Patrick Head would be saying...
Wouldn't happen if PH was still there...
Old 21 Feb 2019, 10:54 (Ref:3885739)   #499
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Wouldn't happen if PH was still there...
Lowe seems to be conspicuous by his low profile leaving Clare Williams to face the press, normally his seems to love being front and centre. Strange he leaves Mercedes and they continue to dominate - not just him then...
Old 21 Feb 2019, 11:50 (Ref:3885748)   #500
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Claire Williams herself has admitted that it’s an embarrassment that Williams have left it late to bring their car out. Can’t be easy for them, but still