Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Jan 2003, 12:18 (Ref:461495)   #1
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Missing the Radicals

It is the start of a new year and time to sort out my Marshaling dates, does anyone know the the chamionship details for the Radicals as I would dearly like to avoid them!! - Balders
Old 1 Jan 2003, 13:35 (Ref:461520)   #2
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL
Old 1 Jan 2003, 14:11 (Ref:461529)   #3
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trouble is though you are going to miss the VW Cup which is damn good-plus a few Caterham mudguards that will need shifting off the circuit!
Old 1 Jan 2003, 18:26 (Ref:461614)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Balders,

Looks like they're not coming to Combe this year - so you should be ok...
Old 1 Jan 2003, 21:31 (Ref:461685)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
i like radicals- just need sprint races not a 2 houzzzzzzzzzz.......
Old 2 Jan 2003, 12:11 (Ref:461936)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I have to admit to finding the 'endurance' style races a tad tedious and wish they would limit them to say 30 minutes or so.
Old 2 Jan 2003, 13:45 (Ref:462040)   #7
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I understand it there went be any two hour races this year. Instead I believe they are running two races of 45 minutes each - but don't quote me on that.
Old 2 Jan 2003, 13:47 (Ref:462045)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
That would be fine especially as after that time the leaders should still be nose to tail.
Old 2 Jan 2003, 20:05 (Ref:462258)   #9
ANDY GILKES
Rookie

ANDY GILKES should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TWO 5 MINUTE RACES WOULD BE ABOUT LONG ENOUGH
Old 3 Jan 2003, 00:59 (Ref:462399)   #10
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As you know the radicals were with 750MC until a couple of years ago but they wanted more clout and long races which we couldn't provide.
As 90% didn't make it to the first corner at Snetterton, it was doubtful that they could justify 2 hours. That said, i understood that at some circuits they were very interesting last year so maybe we all should give them another chance this year?
Old 3 Jan 2003, 08:57 (Ref:462548)   #11
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something needs to be done. These long races may be exciting to drive in but Radicals, Uniroyal Team thingy, Top hat Endurance etc. etc. are damagaing the sport as marshalls are turned off, the few spectators wonder what the hell they're doing their and everyone racing 'proper cars' is bored sh*tless for hours.
Marshalls should refuse to deal with races longer than, say, 20 minutes at National B level, unless each is paid £50 by the drivers....
Why not have a series of sprint races if they want to pay for more tracktime....
Old 3 Jan 2003, 09:43 (Ref:462566)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I think there are many who echo your views on the length of the races. However, we as marshals are there to provide emergency cover for the drivers and we really shouldn't be dictating the length of races to the drivers or organisers. I agree though that if you don't like the long races you should not volunteer for the meeting, that is of course your choice and one that only you can make.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 10:13 (Ref:462582)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
As far as I'm concerned, the problem with Radicals is not the length of the race, it's the lack of real racing. I've never yet seen an interesting Radical race, be it short or long. It's a pity, as they are great little cars, but for some reason they just don't provide interesting racing; K-Sports are as bad!

Some long races are really enjoyable, such as the JCC 100 mile & 100 kilometre series. I think the reason for that is that they attract a wide range of entries - Radicals, Caterhams, XJS's etc., which means that there's lots of overtaking - if you're looking for a series to use as blue flag training, this is the one!
Old 3 Jan 2003, 10:28 (Ref:462591)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I guess to some extent it depends on the circuit as well. Shorter circuits seem to provide closer racing (in the case of Racicals) whilst they ytend to get more 'strung out' on longer tracks.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 21:16 (Ref:463072)   #15
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It will be interesting to see how many marshals put themselves down to marshal at these Radical meetings at the begining of the year-I bet they will still get a full house (marshals)and all the talk of being boring will have gone out the window along with the Christmas wrapping paper! It will also be interesting to see who turns up at the 2nd Radical meeting having done the 1st one-I bet you all will...it's in your blood!!
Old 4 Jan 2003, 10:19 (Ref:463415)   #16
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not so sure.. I certainly don't understand the desire to go and marshal one of those VW Uniroyal races - how dull.

But this type of long distance shows where the future may lie. Racers are demanding longer track time, and if the club can offer it for a decent cost, racers will head that way with thier cash. And that's what pays for race meetings (not spectators or marshals)!

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of seasons..