Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 21 Apr 2017, 00:17 (Ref:3728063)   #126
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Has anybody from the media bothered to interview Jense on this magnificent opportunity to run the mobile chicane in Monaco?
Old 21 Apr 2017, 00:26 (Ref:3728066)   #127
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Rebutted:

Roebuck also talks about those tha don't get it. Fortunately Alonso does.
http://www.autosport.com/premium/fea...-its-ignorance
Unfortunately, I can't read most of all the Roebuck article as it's subscription only.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 04:44 (Ref:3728095)   #128
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscotex View Post
No offense intended, but, sadly, I find this comment to be as ignorant, arrogant, and parochial as the article to which it refers. A couple of folks painting with a rather broad brush here, methinks.

I get a kick out of hearing the tweets and comments from top level drag racers, Indycar racers, IMSA and Pirelli racers, and the good ole boys of NASCAR all commenting intelligently on the F1 race du jour. The reality, over here at least, is that a lot of drivers and gearheads are motorsports fans in general, and are far more interested in (and familiar with) with worldwide motorsport than most writers focused on their narrow sphere of interest.

Ok. I'm off my soapbox now and off to work the MotoGP race this weekend at COTA. Hope I didn't gore too many sacred cows.

Paul
+1

I take it some don't realize they sound like the type they describe.

jimclark
Old 21 Apr 2017, 04:45 (Ref:3728097)   #129
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Unfortunately, I can't read most of all the Roebuck article as it's subscription only.
It's the same as in the magazine if you get a copy of that.

Basically it says F1 should get over itself if it thinks Alonso is daft for missing the Monaco GP to do this. It also remembers when Cooper and Brabham did it the season they were uncompetitive.

In the same magazine there is a long arryicle about how it came about. It basically started as an throwaway remark that got serious. It is interesting how quickly it happened.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 05:23 (Ref:3728102)   #130
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Has anybody from the media bothered to interview Jense on this magnificent opportunity to run the mobile chicane in Monaco?
Presumably it assures his monthly stipend from the team continues to land in his bank account....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 21 Apr 2017, 07:18 (Ref:3728117)   #131
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It's the same as in the magazine if you get a copy of that.

Basically it says F1 should get over itself if it thinks Alonso is daft for missing the Monaco GP to do this. It also remembers when Cooper and Brabham did it the season they were uncompetitive.

In the same magazine there is a long arryicle about how it came about. It basically started as an throwaway remark that got serious. It is interesting how quickly it happened.
Thanks for the synopsis.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 09:07 (Ref:3728134)   #132
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Alonso gets to pre-test with Andretti Autosport before the ROP.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129088
Old 21 Apr 2017, 10:33 (Ref:3728149)   #133
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Alonso gets to pre-test with Andretti Autosport before the ROP.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129088
Good, he should spend every second he can find burning around ovals, I see they have identified traffic as a particular problem too.

Great initiative, hope it is well done, looks promising.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 12:08 (Ref:3728164)   #134
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm glad he's fitted the test in, I look forward to see how he gets on. Getting more and more exciting
Old 21 Apr 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3728208)   #135
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Good, he should spend every second he can find burning around ovals, I see they have identified traffic as a particular problem too.

Great initiative, hope it is well done, looks promising.
He'll have no problem with the "circuit". Not being used to the traffic is the thing.
I think he will acclimate. Jimmy did in '63 & '65, Graham did in'66, Nigel did in '93.....

jimclark
Old 21 Apr 2017, 23:39 (Ref:3728273)   #136
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
He'll have no problem with the "circuit". Not being used to the traffic is the thing.
I think he will acclimate. Jimmy did in '63 & '65, Graham did in'66, Nigel did in '93.....
Covered, refer post #107 this thread.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 04:10 (Ref:3728293)   #137
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Covered, refer post #107 this thread.
'Just responded to your post 133. 'Sorry, haven't been following the thread regularly.
Having been a longtime race fan, competing in different venues was pretty normal for F1 drivers back "in the day", so I don't find Fernando's entry all that exciting.

edit: Having read 107...

Quote:
My major concern is that Fred has a huge reputation and probably high expectations of what he can achieve at Indy.
He is taking on highly skilled and very experienced oval racing drivers in a discipline that he has no experience of, close pack racing, the unique handling characteristics of cars set up for and on ovals with very hard walls and no run offs. He is also busy with his F1 season and has not devoted sufficient time to his preparation.
The chances of his ambition exceeding his talent and this going pear shaped seem to be large.

If it all happens to work out for him, I would agree that he could realistically switch to Indycars, but he is on one hang of a learning curve!

Clark and Hill brought new technology to Indy and had an unfair advantage.
Mansell had massive mileage before he ran a race on an oval

In my book thinking you can arrive in a professional racing series and compete with no experience and preparation is just pure arrogance and the risks are just plain unacceptable.
I'm glad he doesn' think it's unacceptable, nor those before him. Clark brought new tech, agreed (altho' it was reallyJack B. in '61, albeit not as successful due to his silly li'l Climax...) but Jackie's and Graham's Lolas were in no way the class of the field in '66 and things might have been different had the race gotten under way a little cleaner than it did; wiping out a third of the competition didn't hurt their chances, for sure.

Regarding "the unique handling characteristics of cars set up for and on ovals with very hard walls and no run offs.", ask AJ's answer to Bob Wollek's grumbling to Preston Henn at Daytona in '83 when AJ was being inserted into the 935 in which he had never turned a wheel. He turned the races fastest laps at night in the rain and they went on to win... (I'll paraphrase for you..."It's a race car. I can drive it.")

Again, I think Alonso is quite capable of getting up to speed and adapting to the traffic like many before him. Certainly, we'll just have to wait and see...

Last edited by jimclark; 22 Apr 2017 at 04:24.

jimclark
Old 23 Apr 2017, 03:32 (Ref:3728493)   #138
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
FA meets his new teammates.

Old 23 Apr 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3728717)   #139
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I don't like the Spaniard, but that is quite cool.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3728752)   #140
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I do like him a lot more than I used to. I think he brings a breath of fresh air to F1 squeezing the life out of a dreadful car. I firmly believe he would be fighting every lap with Hamilton and Vettel given competitive machinery. Great to see him push F1 to one side to do something he sees as worthwhile. Hopefully it will be Le Mans next.....
Old 23 Apr 2017, 21:06 (Ref:3728760)   #141
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
It looks like Zak Brown would like to make Indy a regular event for McLaren.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129127
Old 23 Apr 2017, 22:16 (Ref:3728779)   #142
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It looks like Zak Brown would like to make Indy a regular event for McLaren.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129127
Won't that depend on keeping Honda sweet?
Old 23 Apr 2017, 23:38 (Ref:3728797)   #143
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Won't that depend on keeping Honda sweet?
Possibly but it also depends if Honda can outperform Chevrolet this season.

Honda have won the first two races of the season but Chevrolet won at Barber today.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 00:00 (Ref:3728801)   #144
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Possibly but it also depends if Honda can outperform Chevrolet this season.

Honda have won the first two races of the season but Chevrolet won at Barber today.
Mr Bourdais in the underfunded Dale Coyne Honda is still leading the championship..
Old 24 Apr 2017, 00:05 (Ref:3728803)   #145
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Bourdais in the underfunded Dale Coyne Honda is still leading the championship..
But Scott Dixon, in the better funded Ganassi Honda, is 6 points behind him and next week it's Phoenix and Dixon won there last year.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 09:43 (Ref:3728851)   #146
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Alonso to Miss Monaco...
But of a shock he's going transgender,I dont think he'll ever be Miss Monaco.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3728867)   #147
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
FA meets his new teammates.

Rossi looks decidedly underwhelmed!!
Old 2 May 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3730619)   #148
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
IndyCar are showing live, Alonso's debut test at IMS, 9:00am ET or 13:00 GMT.

http://view.email.brickyard.com/?qs=...581885667b36ae
Old 2 May 2017, 19:46 (Ref:3730622)   #149
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
But of a shock he's going transgender,I dont think he'll ever be Miss Monaco.
He was Miss Monaco in 2006 and '07.
Old 3 May 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3730715)   #150
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Watch FA's Indy test live in just under four hours from now HERE.