Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19 Apr 2003, 09:49 (Ref:573869)   #1
shurikus
Rookie

shurikus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scottish flyer to miss Indy 500 and more

--------
http://www.autosport.com

Injured IRL IndyCar Series ace Dario Franchitti will miss the Indianapolis 500 and possibly the three more races, according to renowned Indianapolis surgeon Dr Terry Trammell.

Trammell said Franchitti has an L1 vertabra stable burst fracture that does not require surgery but does require bracing for approximately three months. Franchitti, who drives a Dallara-Honda for Andretti Green Racing, will not be cleared to drive for approximately three months from the date of injury, incurred while riding a motorcycle on April 4 in Scotland.

Franchitti said, "I'm pretty devastated right now, between not being able to compete in the Indy 500 and possibly missing a couple of the other races. I'm going to work hard to get back in the car as fast as possible. I'm in a wee bit of pain right now. Dr Trammell knows what he is doing so I will listen to him and do whatever possible to get back in the car. It's disappointing that I won't be with the team at its first Indy 500.

"I feel bad for everyone at Andretti Green especially [owners] Michael [Andretti], Kim [Green], Kevin [Savoree] and I'm really going to miss working with my guys over the next month. I will be on hand to help in any way but my primary focus is to get back in the car as soon as possible."

England's Dan Wheldon subbed for Franchitti at Motegi in Japan last weekend, but his full-time race schedule was due to begin at Indianapolis anyway. Max Papis has been suggested as a replacement for Franchitti.
--------

what a shame
but, i think, it'll be nice to see MadMax back in action behind the wheel of single seater
and I sat down in Gasoline Alley and I cried