Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 1 Aug 2012, 16:13 (Ref:3114781)   #51
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they would stay seperate as GRC seems to be ploughing its own furrow. Would they have any interest in merging with the ERC? Six X Games events next year and if I've understood correctly some US based events would make it a mighty busy (and expensive) schedule if you were to add in some ERC dates as well. Can't see it myself but at the moment nothing is certain.
Old 6 Aug 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3116818)   #52
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any news to come out of the Belgium ERC about the ERC24 story, is there any confirmation that the proposals are true or likely to happen?

Saw a petition going round and a save ERC 2013 banner. Were these a knee jerk reaction to the erc24 story, or something more?

Were any drivers, officials or organisers discussing it? Havent noticed any other websites or Autosport picking up on the ERC24 story yet.
Old 6 Aug 2012, 21:54 (Ref:3116837)   #53
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noticed a new F.B page started yesterday! I will not post link but the plot thickens? The new page? World Rallycross Championship Oh well end is nigh!
Old 7 Aug 2012, 00:55 (Ref:3116885)   #54
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
Noticed a new F.B page started yesterday! I will not post link but the plot thickens? The new page? World Rallycross Championship Oh well end is nigh!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...pOfTheUniverse
Old 7 Aug 2012, 06:36 (Ref:3116939)   #55
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems VW want to get involved in the GRC too, quite why I dont know?

Maybe theya re just wanting to develop new parts or something, use an old test hack, get Carlos in it or something and test some new bits with a higher power engine than the WRC.

Can't be for any other reason surely!!!
Old 7 Aug 2012, 06:53 (Ref:3116944)   #56
Mad Mark Watson
Racer

England
barnard castle
Mad Mark Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mutterings i heard something to do with speedway want rights to erc ?? any one expand ?

also FIA will refuse licenses to any driver from europe copmeting in america ??
Old 7 Aug 2012, 07:24 (Ref:3116948)   #57
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Seems VW want to get involved in the GRC too, quite why I dont know?
Maybe they're panicing at the lack of WRC promoter and the no doubt huge amount of money they are spending on developing the Polo and want to guarantee at least some exposure!

Last edited by AndyS; 7 Aug 2012 at 07:36.
Old 7 Aug 2012, 07:43 (Ref:3116959)   #58
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cant imagine have anything to do with rallycross Mark, they are jst as broke!

Sky has ruined their sport, they get very little from Sky as it stands and becaise of the tv the crowd figures are appalling, if it wasnt for stock cars at most speedway tracks, they would close as that doubles income and rings in pay drivers etc.

I doubt speedway has enough money to save itself, let alone rallycross!!
Old 7 Aug 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3117014)   #59
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Cant imagine have anything to do with rallycross Mark, they are jst as broke!

Sky has ruined their sport, they get very little from Sky as it stands and becaise of the tv the crowd figures are appalling, if it wasnt for stock cars at most speedway tracks, they would close as that doubles income and rings in pay drivers etc.

I doubt speedway has enough money to save itself, let alone rallycross!!
I think you are confusing a few a few companies here. The company interested in Rallycross is SMI - an independent track operator. They own ovals like Texas, New Hampshire, Charlotte, Kentucky, Las Vegas.
You are thinking about IMS which owns Indianapolis and also the Indycar Series.
Old 7 Aug 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3117049)   #60
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
No, speedway is a form of off road bike racing mate! Nothing to do with American oval racing!
Old 7 Aug 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3117051)   #61
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post

As seems to be the reoccuring theme with this subject, seems to be a lot of guesswork based on a little bit of fact. As I said before I'm going to wait for the official news before I give up on rallycross.

I've not been following the sport anywhere near as long as most of you guys, but when I turn up to a race event and don't enjoy what I see, thats when I stop going: not because I don't like the sound of something I've read on the internet.

Interesting to read about VW. For those of you who haven't read the full story its here:

http://erc24.com/archives/7092

Given the link between Capito and Erikkson would this mean another OMSE developed car, or will VW go it alone?
Old 7 Aug 2012, 11:51 (Ref:3117069)   #62
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM View Post
I think you are confusing a few a few companies here. The company interested in Rallycross is SMI - an independent track operator. They own ovals like Texas, New Hampshire, Charlotte, Kentucky, Las Vegas.
You are thinking about IMS which owns Indianapolis and also the Indycar Series.
Very old news about US RX. Nothing to do with RX in general nor ERC. This is all related to GRC and their deals with NASCAR.
Old 7 Aug 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3117073)   #63
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post

As seems to be the reoccuring theme with this subject, seems to be a lot of guesswork based on a little bit of fact. As I said before I'm going to wait for the official news before I give up on rallycross.

I've not been following the sport anywhere near as long as most of you guys, but when I turn up to a race event and don't enjoy what I see, thats when I stop going: not because I don't like the sound of something I've read on the internet.
I'm with you on this, I initially jumped in but you are right none of us know for sure whats happening until we see some official annoucements. ERC will probably be the first to reveal its hand, BRC usual confirm what they are doing calandar wise at least, at the turn of the year and the GRC has been even later. We may all be guessing for a while yet as to the future shape of the sport.
Old 7 Aug 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3117094)   #64
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True nothing is official but I prefer to speak out against proposals I dont like the sound of before it is too late, though granted it is rare for us fans ever to get listened to.
A questionaire for the drivers was doing the rounds at Belgium (for or against the proposed changes), shame ther wasnt one for the spectators as well.
Old 7 Aug 2012, 13:28 (Ref:3117118)   #65
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
A questionaire for the drivers was doing the rounds at Belgium (for or against the proposed changes), shame ther wasnt one for the spectators as well.
I suppose that lends a bit more credance to the rumours, but may also suggest that the powers that be are willing to listen and are knocking ideas about before making any changes, rather than it already being a done deal. On the other hand maybe I'm giving them too much credit!
Old 7 Aug 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3117208)   #66
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a great event to have a questionnaire, really. 16 of the Supercar drivers will be pro it (as it's going to give them much more air time and be easier to get sponsorship) and the rest will be dead against it. Unfortunately, with only 22 supercar entrants, the results of the questionnaire will not be all that favourable to us lot.
Old 7 Aug 2012, 18:29 (Ref:3117225)   #67
chasing cars
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Not a great event to have a questionnaire, really. 16 of the Supercar drivers will be pro it (as it's going to give them much more air time and be easier to get sponsorship) and the rest will be dead against it. Unfortunately, with only 22 supercar entrants, the results of the questionnaire will not be all that favourable to us lot.
I wouldnt be so pessimistic, firstly its only 14 drivers and I doubt they were all at Maasmechelen and secondly I dont think it was only the supercar drivers that were asked for their opinion. I cant imagine the super 1600/ touring car drivers are overly delighted at being reduced to just 1 day.
Old 7 Aug 2012, 18:57 (Ref:3117232)   #68
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have the best crop of young exciting drivers we've had in a long time in all the classes, really hoping nothing changes.
Old 7 Aug 2012, 19:06 (Ref:3117237)   #69
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2013 ERC - Part 2 from ERC24.com:

http://erc24.com/archives/7118#more-7118

After ERC24 published the first information about major ERC changes in the making the Rallycross barometer indicated stormy weather. Here no answers, but some more info that is blowing in the wind.

The promoter behind the whole ‘future of ERC’ project is IMG Motorsports, part of IMG, originally known as the International Management Group, a global sports and media business headquartered in New York City. The private company, established in 1960, is involved in a lot of things and is the commercial and TV rights holders of global events such as the FIM Speedway Grand Prix and FIM Monster Energy Speedway World Cup, the Rugby World Cup and the Indian Premier League.

IMG is working already for quite some time on the ERC deal, after being approached by some widely known Rallycross insiders who use to work for many a year in the sport. During their Paris meeting of June 15 the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) “approved proposals from both the Truck Racing Commission and the Rallycross Commission to source a promoter for those Championships”, one more step towards a revised European Rallycross series – with the target to become a World Championship series at the latest in 2016.

According to our information the people involved in the project are currently negotiating with potential organisers for 10 existing Rallycross venues as well as with potential SuperCar competitors for the 14 available entries as “permanent drivers”. As there shall be 2 “Wildcart entries” per round the whole “main event” on the Sundays of the ERC weekends should see 16 starters in a compressed 3 hour show, to “benefit both TV and live audiences with fast paced exciting racing and little down time.”

The existing qualification and finals system will then be replaced for the SuperCars only by a “round robin format” through which each driver can participate in the 4 qualifying heat races over 4 laps each. The 5 drivers with the highest point scorings should subsequently race for their overall placings in a single final over 6 laps. The scored points of all 10 races shall decide over the FIA ERC title for SuperCar Drivers. While the Sundays are for the SuperCar driver line-up, the future “support categories” TouringCars and Super1600s as well as the testing shall be maintained by the promoters to round up a 2 day meeting for the audience at the venues.

Quotes: “IMG will invite 14 permanent Supercar Championship Drivers per year – they must take part in all 10 Championship Events.” “IMG and the Event Organiser shall consult 2 Wildcart Drivers per Event.” “IMG will invite unlimited number of Super 1600 and Touring Car drivers to each Event – these drivers will not be required to enter all 10 Championship Events.”

We at ERC24 were informed that the final plans should be released to ‘John Q. Public’ during the 2012 ERC Finale at Buxtehude. The FIA Off-Road Commission (FIA ORC) meeting of August 22 in Paris is due to deal with the case, before the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) needs to confirm (or refuse) the plans of IMG in their Paris meeting on September 28 or their Istanbul meeting on December 5.

For Part 1 click here: http://erc24.com/archives/6818
Old 7 Aug 2012, 19:21 (Ref:3117243)   #70
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby View Post
2013 ERC - Part 2 from ERC24.com:

http://erc24.com/archives/7118#more-7118

After ERC24 published the first information about major ERC changes in the making the Rallycross barometer indicated stormy weather. Here no answers, but some more info that is blowing in the wind.

The promoter behind the whole ‘future of ERC’ project is IMG Motorsports, part of IMG, originally known as the International Management Group, a global sports and media business headquartered in New York City. The private company, established in 1960, is involved in a lot of things and is the commercial and TV rights holders of global events such as the FIM Speedway Grand Prix and FIM Monster Energy Speedway World Cup, the Rugby World Cup and the Indian Premier League.

IMG is working already for quite some time on the ERC deal, after being approached by some widely known Rallycross insiders who use to work for many a year in the sport. During their Paris meeting of June 15 the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) “approved proposals from both the Truck Racing Commission and the Rallycross Commission to source a promoter for those Championships”, one more step towards a revised European Rallycross series – with the target to become a World Championship series at the latest in 2016.

According to our information the people involved in the project are currently negotiating with potential organisers for 10 existing Rallycross venues as well as with potential SuperCar competitors for the 14 available entries as “permanent drivers”. As there shall be 2 “Wildcart entries” per round the whole “main event” on the Sundays of the ERC weekends should see 16 starters in a compressed 3 hour show, to “benefit both TV and live audiences with fast paced exciting racing and little down time.”

The existing qualification and finals system will then be replaced for the SuperCars only by a “round robin format” through which each driver can participate in the 4 qualifying heat races over 4 laps each. The 5 drivers with the highest point scorings should subsequently race for their overall placings in a single final over 6 laps. The scored points of all 10 races shall decide over the FIA ERC title for SuperCar Drivers. While the Sundays are for the SuperCar driver line-up, the future “support categories” TouringCars and Super1600s as well as the testing shall be maintained by the promoters to round up a 2 day meeting for the audience at the venues.

Quotes: “IMG will invite 14 permanent Supercar Championship Drivers per year – they must take part in all 10 Championship Events.” “IMG and the Event Organiser shall consult 2 Wildcart Drivers per Event.” “IMG will invite unlimited number of Super 1600 and Touring Car drivers to each Event – these drivers will not be required to enter all 10 Championship Events.”

We at ERC24 were informed that the final plans should be released to ‘John Q. Public’ during the 2012 ERC Finale at Buxtehude. The FIA Off-Road Commission (FIA ORC) meeting of August 22 in Paris is due to deal with the case, before the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) needs to confirm (or refuse) the plans of IMG in their Paris meeting on September 28 or their Istanbul meeting on December 5.

For Part 1 click here: http://erc24.com/archives/6818
Thanks for that ebby. Just can't get my head round why 14 + 2, surely that can be doubled easily and still fit into a format.
Old 7 Aug 2012, 21:15 (Ref:3117282)   #71
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really worried now.......
Old 7 Aug 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3117309)   #72
chasing cars
Racer

And IMG know what about rallycross and what the "audience" want? Who are these former rallycross insiders?
As I've said before at the very least there has to be a chance for others to qualfy for the main event from heats earlier in the weekend otherwise this is a closed shop and you can pretty much guarantee the wildcards will be from outside rallycross. Let's hope the FIA see sense.
Old 7 Aug 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3117312)   #73
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

A World rallycross championship in 2016? Right... An international championship between the US and Europe would make better sense...
Old 7 Aug 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3117313)   #74
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny that 'a questionnaire is doing it's round' over something that isn't known in detail. People stuck in old habbits react like that. Scared about the 'unknown'.
Of all the people at this moment shouting FIRE FIRE, may I ask, what did you do personally to promote, or change things in rallycross?
The circuits I've been at and know people behind them, all have trouble finding people to work with them (trough out the year I mean, the EC weekend they have 1.000.000 friends), average age is 50+, new media is hardly used, etc. Things have to change. The fastest way? TV coverage. The rest is just connecting the dots.
And if you ever did read the FIA bible, you have to agree with me that that thing is written in hell.
Old 8 Aug 2012, 07:02 (Ref:3117445)   #75
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Beginning of the end really.

Once you start trusting people who dont have a clue about the sports heritage and where it comes from you are on a slippery slope.

My main fear is that after it has failed, what will be left.

Maybe it will work, no doubt the PR boffins will persuade all sorts of people to get involved, as right now they are only involved in the USA and global branding is where it's all at from their point of view.

TV coverage is not the be all and end all, it hasn't worked for many sports really.

All it does is put extreme pressure on the governing bodies to have enough drivers/cars with big sponsors, and if they can't then things start to struggle.

It hasn't worked for much motorsport in the UK? Speedway has suffered enormously at GB level, OK the GP's are big but there are few of them, so if you use that then maybe this could work, but speedway GP's are very similar to local speedway, didnt need to be changed, the format works.

Has hillclimbing, rallying, circuitracing, really, honestly benefitted from tv coverage? You might get a title sponsor (usually involved anyway, just paying for the coverage) but really, how does it help?

For a global sponsor who has ambitions on widening their market like say Rockstar, Best Buy, Monster, DC SHoes fair enough, it might be good, but who watches rallycross and goes and buys DC SHoes! or uses Best Buy, they left the UK coz they flopped spectacularly!!

I don't think the sport needs a huge change like this, making the support classes so distant is bad, making one day only for Supercars is bad, if it was me I would only go on the first day, never on raceday. And thats what they want, they want you to watch the rest on tely.

I don't know, it all seems very weird and I don't trust people who have little previous knowledge, AMA Superbike racing was ruined by this form getting involved so their track record is not god

Last edited by chunder; 8 Aug 2012 at 07:23.