Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 1 Jun 2017, 08:48 (Ref:3737891)   #326
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Incidentally, in an interview on BT Sport, when asked about the Triple Crown, Alonso referred to having won the F1 championship, so I wonder if he considers it to be the F1 championship, the Indy 500 and Le Mans. I don't think anyone would debate that winning the championship is harder than only Monaco, but as you say, traditionally, the Triple Crown is viewed as being these big three races. Of course, the only man to have won the Triple Crown was F1 champion anyway.
This is my understanding of the Triple Crown, as wasn't Graham Hill the only driver so far to have done this?
Old 1 Jun 2017, 14:59 (Ref:3737936)   #327
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
This is my understanding of the Triple Crown, as wasn't Graham Hill the only driver so far to have done this?
yes.

jimclark
Old 1 Jun 2017, 16:04 (Ref:3737945)   #328
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
yes.
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm getting to old to put up with all this dumbing down of achievements nowadays. All of our polytechnics have been re-named Uninversities so more can claim to have had a University education, Football (whatever that is) has invented a 'better' league above Division One and many other things. Soon I'll be able to claim that my second in class (out of two) in a Modified Saloon Race at Silverstone was almost a Grand Prix Podium (because Silverstone is a GP Circuit!)...
Old 1 Jun 2017, 17:07 (Ref:3737965)   #329
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm getting to old to put up with all this dumbing down of achievements nowadays. All of our polytechnics have been re-named Uninversities so more can claim to have had a University education, Football (whatever that is) has invented a 'better' league above Division One and many other things. Soon I'll be able to claim that my second in class (out of two) in a Modified Saloon Race at Silverstone was almost a Grand Prix Podium (because Silverstone is a GP Circuit!)...
It starts much sooner than that....children with trophies for participating. Heaven forbid you have to earn it by competing....

jimclark
Old 1 Jun 2017, 17:10 (Ref:3737966)   #330
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Grahan Hill won the F1 WDC, in 1962 and 1968. The Monaco Grand Prix from 1963-65 and 1968-69. The Indy 500 in 1966 and Le Mans in 1972; truly impressive.

The Triple Crown could therefore include either the F1 WDC or Monaco. However, every article I've read, including good ol' Wikipedia considers Indianapolis, Le Mans and Monaco as the Triple Crown.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 18:05 (Ref:3737975)   #331
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Which kind of makes sense as these are all individual races in different disciplines. Even if winning the world championship is harder than winning one race.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 20:58 (Ref:3738015)   #332
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The Triple Crown is the outcome of a very serious dental appointment.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 22:49 (Ref:3738027)   #333
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The Triple Crown is the outcome of a very serious dental appointment.
Is this something you have personally experienced?
Old 2 Jun 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3738142)   #334
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Ouch.

jimclark
Old 2 Jun 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3738195)   #335
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Mr Alonso's Rookie of the Year acceptance speech left the industry in no doubts as to the mark of the man.

That said, for me, rookie of the year would normally be the highest placed finisher who had not attempted the event before. That clearly isnt the rule here.

Mr Jones would have been a worthy winner also, but may not have delivered the praise & thanks to the series, the teams, the drivers with as much poignancy & power that Mr Alonso managed.. and it kept Indy on the world news feed for a few days longer..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House