Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Dec 2010, 01:06 (Ref:2806735)   #1
porscherules
Rookie

porscherules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 1 glamour.... WHAT HAPPENED

hi guys years haved pass , and i have seen less factory teams like toyota , bmw , renault are gone and more private teams and shame private teams like aguri , minardi , hispania , that always are asking for money etcc... what is happening with the formula 1... i hope bernie finish hispania participation they are a shame , if you dont have the money ,technology , support , etcc just dont race let the big bad boys do there stuff...teams asking for money and having financial problems WTF THESE IS FORMULA 1 , while some teams race to win other race to survive ... at least lotus and virgin are triying but hispania OUT OUT NOW. they are damaging my eyes.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 02:23 (Ref:2806740)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Ah! It's the old "Why can't they spend the money they've got?" question.

Well, if that were to happen, we'd be very quickly down to just a couple of teams that could effectively sustain that sort of spending. Not even Mercedes have the stomache to spend vast sums of cash on F1 anymore.

Can F1 survive with just a couple of 3 car teams?

Also, it can't have escaped anyones notice that even teams like William's have received additional money from Bernie to keep their heads above water. You may also remember that William's signed up for the 'budget cap' rules. Manufacturers left because the expense was no longer justifiable.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 07:55 (Ref:2806784)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
How ironic that it was the manufacturer teams which blocked the budget cap for the threat of leaving, then they just leave anyway.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 08:24 (Ref:2806790)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
How ironic that it was the manufacturer teams which blocked the budget cap for the threat of leaving, then they just leave anyway.
Bully-boys usually operate in the same way...
Old 21 Dec 2010, 09:11 (Ref:2806814)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
What has any of this got to do with the European Touring Car Championship?
Old 21 Dec 2010, 09:21 (Ref:2806819)   #6
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never been a fan of manufacturers in any form of racing.

The same thing always happens - one or two come in and spend a load of money - the profile of the series is raised - more manufacturers come in - they all spend so much that independents can't compete and are driven out - the manufacturers that aren't winning get bored with spending so much for no return and leave - grids then look a bit thin and the popularity of the series declines - the rest of the manufacturers then leave.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 10:02 (Ref:2806837)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
There have always been big glamourous teams like Mclaren and Ferrari. And there have always been teams struggling for cash, struggling for speed and struggling for sponsership like HRT.

I dont get OP's point.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2806873)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I personally think the last team which left the sport before the works pull outs of the last 2 years that had any kind of impact was the Arrows / TWR team in 2002. A real shame to lose a team which looked like making good progress in 2001 and 2002.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2806878)   #9
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manufacturers shouldn't be allowed as much power as they get. The privateers of motorsport held racing together, not just in Formula One, but elsewhere too when the big boys realised they were rubbish/spending too much money.

I actually enjoy seeing privateers more than manufacturers actually. I'd much rather have the likes of Virgin Racing and 1Malaysia on the grid over the likes of Honda, BMW and Toyota who in terms of success, weren't really that much better than Hispania.

Look at Red Bull. Very much a privateer, yet they've taken on the likes of Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, Toyota, Renault, and BMW and defeated them in the past two years.

Racing has proved over the past few years that it CAN survive whether it's got loads of manfacturers competing or not many at all. If manufacturers want to come back, great, but they shouldn't be allowed to have as much control. All they care about is money, whilst privateers actually care about racing. If they don't want to come back, fine.

I don't understand what the OP means. If Honda, BMW and Toyota leaving was such an issue, I doubt global interest in the sport would be increasing as it has after this year.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 11:43 (Ref:2806880)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The "interest" is probably more to do with the 'personalities' rather than anything that the teams bring to the sport.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2806890)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not all the "glamour" is team-related though, a fair bit of it is venues. The only particularly glamorous new races we've had since 1999 (in my view the start of the current calendar shift, heralded by Malaysia) are Singapore (if it continues for sixty years time, perhaps it will reach a Monaco level of status), Abu Dhabi (it's not a great track, but it is a nice location) and Indianapolis (which is of the calendar). A half empty deathly dull circuit near Shanghai is probably less glamorous than Magny-Cours.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2806900)   #12
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't really understand the OP. A lot of the issues he highlights has been the case, well, has always been the case. In fact having a few struggling teams (but only a few) gives the sport that rich piece of human drama that complements the battle between the giants at the top of the sport.

A lot of glamour is lost due to the high demands of sponsors. They want perfect drivers that speak in corporate speak even when they say they don't. Fits in with the family image most of them want to create.

As for manufacturers the sport is in good shape with that as well. Maybe the FIA should create a reserve fund for Cosworth powerplants in case the trio of makers that are there leave en-mass like they have done the last few years.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 13:43 (Ref:2806946)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porscherules View Post
hi guys years haved pass , and i have seen less factory teams like toyota , bmw , renault are gone and more private teams and shame private teams like aguri , minardi , hispania , that always are asking for money etcc... what is happening with the formula 1... i hope bernie finish hispania participation they are a shame , if you dont have the money ,technology , support , etcc just dont race let the big bad boys do there stuff...teams asking for money and having financial problems WTF THESE IS FORMULA 1 , while some teams race to win other race to survive ... at least lotus and virgin are triying but hispania OUT OUT NOW. they are damaging my eyes.

I bet no one see that one coming...
Old 21 Dec 2010, 14:30 (Ref:2806972)   #14
porscherules
Rookie

porscherules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
formula one every time is getting slower with teams that are worst competitors, i dont know why fia dont let eupsodio skandi or us formula 1 i think these teams would maked a better job.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2806994)   #15
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
eupsodio skandi
Epsilon Euskadi?
Old 21 Dec 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2807058)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
formula one every time is getting slower with teams that are worst competitors, i dont know why fia dont let eupsodio skandi or us formula 1 i think these teams would maked a better job.
Us Formula 1 ? Us who ?
Old 22 Dec 2010, 00:26 (Ref:2807193)   #17
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
or us formula 1 i think these teams would maked a better job.
USF1 had their chance. It didn't really work out...
Old 22 Dec 2010, 00:31 (Ref:2807195)   #18
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
USF1 had all the right ingredients except for management. They had big bucks in America's motorsport silicone valley but the management seemed to think they where putting on a theatre production for the outside world. Dr. Windsor and Mr. Marketing and that ogre destroyed the team.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2807288)   #19
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
USF1
Old 22 Dec 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2807291)   #20
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
They had big bucks in America's motorsport silicone valley
Silicone Valley? Where's that? I want to visit
Old 22 Dec 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2807333)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
It must be big and all round...
Old 22 Dec 2010, 13:11 (Ref:2807343)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Curiously, I grew up in the days of the Garagistas and have seen F1 being taken over by manufacturers with their own vested interests as being mostly a bad thing. I relish the return of independent teams if only the rules could be arranged so that they are able to compete on an even footing, not least the provision of competitive engines at a sensible price.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 14:01 (Ref:2807383)   #23
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 needs independent teams backed by manufacturers and corporations, as it was in the 80s and 90s. F1 needs the corporations to invest money and force the likes of FOM and FIA to improve the show, but we need the independent team side of things for keeping it real, and so that we don't end up with no teams if all the corporations pull out again

And when I say corporations, I'm not just talking about car manufacturers. For instance, I wouldn't class Red Bull as an independent - looking at some figures recently, they spent more this year than McLaren. In a similar vein, when Spyker were on the grid, I doubt many would've considered them a proper manufacturer, even if they were/are
Old 22 Dec 2010, 19:03 (Ref:2807497)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

That's right.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 03:59 (Ref:2807606)   #25
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Good man Greem. I was wondering which one of you would spot my cleverly placed pun first.