Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jan 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2819288)   #26
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
I say bring back cigarrette advertising/sponsorship that way teAms can afford to pick deserved(fast) drivers instead of relying on drivers(slow) to come up with the necessary funding.
Although a number of relatively uncompetitive drivers used tobacco sponsorship to secure F1 drivers, so such a move probably would not create a genuine meritocracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I realize that not every jurisdiction allows alcohol advertising, but I have always been surprised by the relatively low number of sponsors in the booze industry that have appeared in F1 in recent times
I suspect that some sponsors may be dissuaded from an involvement due to the negative connotations between alcohol consumption and driving.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 23:12 (Ref:2819360)   #27
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Imagine if Lotus Renault would be sponsored by Yves Saint Laurent cloth designer. YSL logo and decals might be immediately associated with JPS...
Old 22 Jan 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2819367)   #28
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Once Ferrari ditched the Maranello Red for Marlboro Red on their colour scheme in 1996 I've never liked Marlboro at all. A big part of me wants to see them get into trouble.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 23:54 (Ref:2819373)   #29
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Imagine if Lotus Renault would be sponsored by Yves Saint Laurent cloth designer. YSL logo and decals might be immediately associated with JPS...
Funny you mention that, I was just thinking that there's a brand of cider/perry/fruit based alcoholic beverage made from pears that tastes like pear drops (Kopparberg if I remember correctly) where the cans are black and gold and remind me of the JPS paint scheme. The only other brand (other than JPS fags obviously) with those colours I can think of is Guinness.

One odd thing is that I don't think of fags when I see the modified non-tobacco liveries, but when one of my mates whips out his box of them I think of BARs.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 06:41 (Ref:2819434)   #30
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
In the cases of alcohol advertising the companies in some cases have also advertised responsible driving.
Australian Peter Brock was associated with a driving campaign agaisnt drink driving and the 05 blood alcohol limit in australia. He used the number in the campaign and then did so for the rest of his vareer, perpetuating the association.

As for tobacc... well the converse may also be true...
If marijuana was legalised would / should they be able to advertise it....

Last edited by Teretonga; 23 Jan 2011 at 06:47.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 07:57 (Ref:2819442)   #31
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Once Ferrari ditched the Maranello Red for Marlboro Red on their colour scheme in 1996 I've never liked Marlboro at all. A big part of me wants to see them get into trouble.
They went back to "Maranello Red" in 2007.