Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Nov 2013, 12:47 (Ref:3326531)   #126
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
What worries me about the state of GP2 is that Leimer, Bird and Calado are not seriously being talked about for F1 drives next year.
It's worse for Leimer really. He's just beaten Bird, who's being eyed by Williams, Calado, who may go to Force India and Nasr, who's on the F1 radar, to the GP2 title, but he isn't even being given a second glance!
Old 3 Nov 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3326535)   #127
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a sad fact that GP2 isn't taken as seriously now as it was when it first replaced F3000. I think the job Will Buxton did as Press Officer, and the effort Bruno Michel and his team put into promoting the series when it first came along, was perhaps more effective than what's happening now.

The F1 teams don't really take the series seriously, and I think that's most likely down to the fact the cream doesn't really rise to the top in the series - which detracts from its credibility. Sam clearly isn't top-drawer, Fabio has been around for a few years - but absolutely won't end up in F1, so where next for him? Fast forward 12 months and we'll see him racing GT's somewhere.

It just needs a promotional rethink - and with the next car, they need to make sure it's a) relevant to F1, and b) it's far more likely that the F1-bound talents really do rise to the front. Otherwise, it's just a very expensive sub-series.

It makes me a little sad to be honest - as I remember those first seasons, and it really had an impressive aura around it. Especially compared to the ****-heap that was F3000 in the end.

It could be used to trial new regulations, both from a sporting and technical standing - cost-allowing, and really drag F1's attention/input.

Perhaps GP2 really should be 1/2 x year old F1 cars, with restrictive revs - ART for example, running an old Ferrari car. The test teams of the F1 team can supply support to the GP2 outfits, and then at least the F1 teams are more likely to be excited about trialing their drivers in the series.
Old 3 Nov 2013, 13:16 (Ref:3326536)   #128
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Formula Renault 3.5 has obviously begun seriously to challenge GP2 as the breeding ground for future F1 stars - Bianchi, Magnussen, Vandoorne, maybe Frijns.

Is Bird really being looked at by Williams? I'm expecting to see Massa and Bottas at Grove next year.
Old 3 Nov 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3326541)   #129
miniman
Rookie

miniman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Formula Renault 3.5 has obviously begun seriously to challenge GP2 as the breeding ground for future F1 stars - Bianchi, Magnussen, Vandoorne, maybe Frijns.

Is Bird really being looked at by Williams? I'm expecting to see Massa and Bottas at Grove next year.
Bird is being looked at by ore than one team. He has done a stellar job with a new team with no or precious little data. He won them the teams championship here today and could well do a similar job in f1 as a team player.
Old 3 Nov 2013, 13:56 (Ref:3326550)   #130
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Bird is being looked at by ore than one team. He has done a stellar job with a new team with no or precious little data. He won them the teams championship here today and could well do a similar job in f1 as a team player.
Sam Bird will not end up in F1. No chance. Of course Sam's management will have spoken to the teams who have available drives - most of the front-running GP2/FR3.5 drivers will have been doing the same - to see what package is needed to bag a seat. It doesn't mean that Sam is a serious contender.

He didn't start with zero data - the team had iSport data.

He's done a great job - but really no better than someone like Razia, the year before, and noone will be saying Luiz was a top-line driver, and that there is where GP2 has lost the plot. Sam's clearly good, but he's not Star Quality, and he chokes and has choked at crucial times in his career.

This is in noway meaning to be a Bird bashing thread, but he's not got the mega bucks behind him ala Chilton (who is in no way anywhere near F1 quality), and nor the talent to make up that financial deficit.

I see him ending up being a front-runner in DTM...a Paffett-esque career I see for him...

What's a real shame is that there really sees no point in competing in GP2 - it's just a good way to burn £1.5-2 million euros p/year...
Old 3 Nov 2013, 15:09 (Ref:3326565)   #131
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is WSR 3.5 that much better? You don't go to F1 from there unless you are a RB or McLaren product. GP2 is still the closest you can get to F1, learn the tracks, learn the tires and show what you can do in front of F1 before graduating to F1.

Now people say there is nobody on GP2 to make it competitive yet people rave about Nasr, Calado or even Evans! Well pls check where they finish! Pls check how many poles, fastest laps and Ws they got in their first season. In their second season!! Ericsson is not slow either guys! Yet all seem to think Magnussen is a genius but who did HE beat in WSR pls? A good rookie in VAndoorne! Last year he was nowhere when it was about Frinjs, Bianchi and Bird!!! So where is the logic I am really asking you?!

I say GP2 is still the benchmark. I say that if Magnussen would come in GP2, he would be destroyed like Frinjs was when he showed as you simply can not be as agressive as you were in WSR. Same difference in F1 when Magnussen will arrive. Very good driver no doubt, yet he will be destroyed by Bianchi who did learn Pirellis when competing in GP2.

So as much as I do not like the price tag for these series (WSR is not that much cheaper at 1.2M...), GP2 prepares you so much better for F1 in my opinion!