Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 26 Dec 2009, 13:35 (Ref:2605124)   #1
jamesl
Racer

jamesl has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
TOMS 036F - Formula 3 1996

Any information regarding Toms Toyota F3 cars 95/97 in general and chassis 036F no 3 in particular would be gratefully received. Thanks James.
Old 26 Dec 2009, 15:35 (Ref:2605138)   #2
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
from memory al TOMS cars where built by the factory in japan and some came to race in UK
4 cars where here and raced in UK f3 then ray rowan bought the whole factory stock of cars and parts when Mr TOMS shut down the UK operation

He did 1 race in a car in ARP F3 in 99 and sold off the cars
1 roller to belgium
1 stayed with f3 motor fitted
1 was a roller never raced ( neil cox owned teh car)
1 went into F4 ( Farmers weekly sponsored car ford motor was fitted ) this car later was sold to frenchman and was not raced
Old 26 Dec 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2605149)   #3
jamesl
Racer

Thanks Kevan, useful info.
I intend to race my car in Club F3 in 2010.
Old 26 Dec 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2605153)   #4
jamesl
Racer

The scrutineering ticket on the car is from an ARP F3 race at Castle Combe 2004.
Does anyone have any ARP results pre 2004? or know where to look on the web?
Old 26 Dec 2009, 22:16 (Ref:2605246)   #5
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
sounds like the Neil Cox car he lived over in gloucester area so coombe race is possibly only time car raced also if you just bought the car off dermot then that
is the car
Old 20 Aug 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2747695)   #6
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bumping up an old thread but you can find out a lot of info by using the Web Archive Machine.

I found out an almost complete set of results for our Dallara 398 by using this and looking at the old copies of MST-Timing and the ARP F3 website amongst others. I'm missing pages - some results sheets and some qualifying sheets, but if the quali page wasn't there, the grid page was. Curiously it got harder the newer I went - 2004,5 were harder than 1999
Old 21 Aug 2010, 08:26 (Ref:2747905)   #7
jamesl
Racer

I went down to Goodwood a couple of weeks ago, after spotting that another Toms was being sprinted by David Standing. Turns out mine and David's are sister cars - David's being 036F chassis 2, and mine being 036F chassis 3. David thought another 036F was now living in France.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 14:57 (Ref:2747988)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
from memory al TOMS cars where built by the factory in japan and some came to race in UK
4 cars where here and raced in UK f3 then ray rowan bought the whole factory stock of cars and parts when Mr TOMS shut down the UK operation

He did 1 race in a car in ARP F3 in 99 and sold off the cars
1 roller to belgium
1 stayed with f3 motor fitted
1 was a roller never raced ( neil cox owned teh car)
1 went into F4 ( Farmers weekly sponsored car ford motor was fitted ) this car later was sold to frenchman and was not raced

One certainly went into Monoposto - a red one - it was owned by Tony Adams, Andy ? ("Spawney Whippet", and Larry Jeram Croft before bening sold to France but I don't think this was the Farmers Weekly car, not sure, though.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2748524)   #9
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The gold Farmers weekly car was owned by Richard Davies. (I think he now has a Brabham BT28). He was nun by Jeremy Bennett of Nemesis. It did run in Mono for a short while.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2748530)   #10
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Gold car (Farmers Weekly)was not the one sold to france; it was definately the red car (ex Andy Dickens et al - I knew I'd remember it eventually) that went to france.

I have a recollection that when this red car was bought by Tony Adams, it was still in F3 engine spec & was converted to run in Mono. I think it had been run in ARP F3 for a while before that, but not sure by who.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 09:47 (Ref:2748852)   #11
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your right Andy. Plus i think the farmers weekley car had a toyota unit when in mono. Richard Davies is registered on this site i think as Fingers. (just did a search on the Bt28 and that name popped up). Richard first entered mono in a gold vauxhall lotus.

I cant remember who first had the red one. But Andy Dickens first entered mono with it although someone else i believe started the project rolling. (maybe that was Tony Adams).
Andy Webb had it after Spawney ( Dickens)
Old 23 Aug 2010, 10:02 (Ref:2748855)   #12
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Your right Andy. Plus i think the farmers weekley car had a toyota unit when in mono. Richard Davies is registered on this site i think as Fingers. (just did a search on the Bt28 and that name popped up). Richard first entered mono in a gold vauxhall lotus.

I cant remember who first had the red one. But Andy Dickens first entered mono with it although someone else i believe started the project rolling. (maybe that was Tony Adams).
Andy Webb had it after Spawney ( Dickens)
Doh, how could I forget that Andy Webb had the car befor Larry Jeram-Croft.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2765732)   #13
Dermot Healy
Rookie

Dermot Healy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One went to Belgium some years ago (direct from Ray?) with F3 engine (still there?)
'Farmers Weekly' gold one ran with mono engine & then F3 engine & then to David Standing
Red one bought by me from Parry, then to Adams, then Whippet( who damaged it severely at Llandow), Rebuilt, then to Webb, then LJ-C & then to France (mono engine all through, but i think frenchman thought he was buying an F3 engine and LJC may not have challenged this assumption with great vigour!)
Final one was in South Wales with F3 eng where i bought it for Adams (never run), then to me & then to James L who installed newer spec F3 engine

thought i better write it down before i forget it all
Old 10 Jun 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2894871)   #14
Kazan
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Kazan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All TOM'S F3 chassis (031F to 037F) were built by TOM'S GB, established in 1987. With deep involvement in F3 engines and endurance racing already, plans were well under way for a F1 (Frank Coppuck and John Barnard). Investing to that end in impressive facilities at Hingham: "a 40,000 sq. ft. research and development center which included full composite facilities and engine dynos" (grandprix.com). A "political" decision from Toyota cancelled it all, when they opted to place all efforts in the development of their own racing department, Toyota Europe, in Köln...

Hence the 1998 mid-season disaster, when the premises were sold to Volkswagen AG, TOM'S GB being dismantled to give way to Racing Technology Norfolk (RTN), still under the management of Hiroshi Fushida, until Volkswagen AG sold it in early 2007. The AUDI R8C Le Mans coupe was developed there, as well as the 2003 Le Mans-winning Bentley. The Hingham factory is now the seat of Team Lotus F1.

With his nephew Martin O'Connell competing for the leadership of the 1998 British F3 championship, Ray Rowan had a deal for all chassis, engines and parts, Rowan Racing having been a most successful entrant in the National class in the previous years, with close connection with TOM'S.

1991 - The very first TOM'S F3 chassis won the All-Japan F3 Championship (Paulo Carcasci). Meanwhile, Rickard Rydell showed promise in the British Championship, winning the opening round, followed with one P3 and two P2.

1992 – 2nd (Jacques Villeneuve) and 3rd (Rickard Rydell) in the Japanese championship, the 032F chassis ended the season with a victory at the Macau GP (Rickard Rydell).

1993 - The 033F chassis was again a winner in the Japanese championship, finishing 1st (Tom Kristensen) and 2nd (Rickard Rydell).

1994 - So was the TOM'S 034F, winning again the All-Japan F3 Championship (Michael Krumm)...

1995 – A year of development of the new generation of TOM'S chassis by the main designer of the 031F, Andrew Thorby, with Christian Horner as testing driver. Among the technical peculiarities, the 035F had a single spring front suspension. Although the TOM'S official site mentioned another victory in the Japanese championship "in the Tom's 035F driven by Pedro De La Rosa", it is obvious that such chassis could not be available until quite late in the 1995 season.

1996 - It was run with the 036F modifications in 1996, Tom Coronel finishing 3rd in the Japanese championship and setting the fastest lap at the 1996 Macau GP. According to Tom Coronel, both 036F chassis used for the Japanese championship remained in Japan, one in the Esso showroom, and the other at the Toyota museum.

Although not as successful as in Japan, the TOM'S 036F showed promise in the UK, with new comers to the field. Particularly with Brian Smith in 1996, and Ricardo Mauricio and Kevin McGarrity in 1997 (unfortunately, Kevin was soon to run out of budget). Quite a number of drivers had a go at it, with some impressive driving from Martin O'Connell, once his "National" championship crown had been secured. Some of the four chassis built, in 037F slight evolution, were sporadically used (winning at Madras) until the late stage of 1999, when Ray Rowan sold them all.

Although labelled "036F", those four chassis are actually the 037F evolution (the two actual 036F being those that remained in Japan).

036F/037F #001: raced mainly by Ricardo Mauricio in 1997, it won at Madras in February 1999 (Martin O'Connell) and placed 2nd later that year at the Snetterton heat of ARP (Ray Rowan). This car, being the one referred to as "the red car" by Dermot Healy, was raced very successfully by Neil Cox throughout the 2000 ARP season (to my knowledge, Peter Parry owned the chassis, whereas Neil owned the engine). It is apparently the "Spawny Whippet" car, now in France.

036F/037F #002: the car run by Jamie Spence for DKS in 1997. Raced by Richard Davies in a gold livery and a Toyota engine in the Monoposto championship (in a remarkably neat condition when I saw it at the Nemesis workshop in Slough), the car was until recently raced by David Standing.

036F/037F #003: bought by Paul Harvey, then Jeff Tremblett to race it in Monoposto. This being the former "green car", as brilliantly driven by Martin O'Connell in 1997 at Silverstone and Spa.

036F/037F #004: The lightest chassis of them all, raced by Kevin Mc Garrity in 1997, then Andy Priaulx, and possibly Adam Wilcox for the earlier races in 1998. In Belgium since 1999.

Last edited by Kazan; 10 Jun 2011 at 02:30.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2971673)   #15
BradleyC23
Rookie

Wales
Swansea
BradleyC23 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys,

I have a Tom's F3 Carbon tub, its part of my university final year project...

The aim is to get it racing, it has been sat in stores for a number of years, I was rummaging around and notices this sweet carbon fibre tub under a load of bodywork, wishbones, wheels etc just piled on top...

The aim is to get it running in the 750mc F4 championship.

However, I dont really know much about it.... I was hoping you guys may be able to help...

The driver of the car was M.Kageyama

Its is a black car, with major sponsors by Energizer and Cannon

It also has a sticker on the side saying "Fly to Macau '95"

i think its the 33F ??

any information would be great....
Attached Thumbnails
P1030028.jpg  
Old 31 Oct 2011, 22:48 (Ref:2979852)   #16
Kazan
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
The TOM'S 303F was a very successful car, and indeed Masami Kageyama drove such a chassis in 1994.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 19:24 (Ref:3292497)   #17
die_silberpfeile
Rookie

die_silberpfeile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi, my toms 033f...

Old 21 Aug 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3292498)   #18
die_silberpfeile
Rookie

my toms 033f

Old 17 May 2014, 14:38 (Ref:3407267)   #19
Kazan
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Sorry, it has been so long since I was last involved in that subject. You probably cleared it all yourself and went along with your project. It is indeed a very valuable chassis, even more so since so few were produced.
In 1994, Masami Kageyama ended up second in the all-Japan championship behind team leader Michael Krumm, to my knowledge driving a Tom's 033F chassis for part of the season, and then its 034F evolution. Masami Kageyama raced a 034F at Macau in November 1994.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 14:06 (Ref:3482886)   #20
die_silberpfeile
Rookie

Hello, as you say, were made only 5 cars 033f, of which there are only 3 full and running, because it is very difficult to find parts of them, the idea of you is reassembling the car ??? Greetings !!
Old 8 Dec 2014, 14:22 (Ref:3483131)   #21
die_silberpfeile
Rookie

ProRacing team of Argentina, has this toms which is a rolling chassis, since due to a crash carbon monocoque broke it was repaired so that it ornaments ..

Old 8 Dec 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3483159)   #22
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We own a lot of the TOM's Toyota pattern equipment for making gearboxes and engine parts. Have a chest of factory drawings and quite a lot of parts from when they were running in British F3.
Old 25 Feb 2016, 13:54 (Ref:3617690)   #23
die_silberpfeile
Rookie

It would be good to give a contact email so we see the parts that you got
Old 20 Mar 2016, 07:42 (Ref:3625059)   #24
flightlessbird
Rookie

flightlessbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al Palmer has a Toms 36F in Sydney Australia. He competes with it in the NSW state racing championship
Old 24 May 2020, 19:26 (Ref:3978115)   #25
MDCutting
Rookie

England
Somewhere in the UK
MDCutting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
We own a lot of the TOM's Toyota pattern equipment for making gearboxes and engine parts. Have a chest of factory drawings and quite a lot of parts from when they were running in British F3.
Here's the thread and the message that brought me to the whole forum! I am extremely interested in knowing more about the drawings given that I was responsible for quite a few of them! My initials will be marked usually as an interlinked MDC, it might sometimes be confused as the word mix. Also not to be confused with Martin Ogilvie who did lots more. He used to stencil his initials as a connected MB then a separate O.

If there's any chance to be reacquainted with any of the work I did I'd certainly be keen to see it! I used to do stuff like gearshift, pedals, the airbox, some minor suspension bits, radiators, that sort of thing.

I'd also love to see any of the chassis again one day especially if any are still around in the UK. I'm specifically referring to the 036 type. I doubt the 035 will be kicking around now.

I've got some pictures of the very first 035 type which was the first serious car I worked on after the spec-formula F Toyota update. I'll dig them out to post when I get a moment.