Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Nov 2004, 00:24 (Ref:1149125)   #1
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Winterbottom Season

Seeing that we are nearly at seasons end, what is everyone's opinion of the performance of Mark Winterbottom in 2004?

I ask because I was speaking with someone about this subject the other day, and he described Winterbottom as being "disappointing".

I was surprised by this as I think he has done very well this year. If you compare him to what the rookies did last year (Dumbrell, Whincup and Canto) then he has done even better. Canto was just too slow in qualifying and was all round pretty disappointing in 03 and Dumbrell was just plain dangerous. Whincup also under-performed but I would have liked for him to stay at GRM this year because the team ran a VX for Jamie and a Aurora-powered VY for Garth so it was like having two one-car teams out there with the same sponsors. In your first year you really need a team-mate to learn off of and Whincup really didn't get that. I should go all right with Tasman in 05 I think.

Anyway, back to Winterbottom, if he just had a couple more tenths in qualifying (easy to say I know) then he would be a consistent top-10 race finisher. As it is, he is fifteenth in the points and, despite one tiny mistake at Bathurst (that didn't even scratch the Orrcon car!) he proved he could really run with the big boys in the enduros.

LMS have had both cars finish in the top 11 in the last two round results. Those qualifying tenths Winterbottom is lacking should come next year when he goes back to the circuits with his own data and knowledge bank ready to run for practice one. If they continue to get to notch SBR motors I think both Larkham cars can finish in the top 10 in the Championship next year. Oh yeah, and going on their enduro form, they will win Bathurst too...............
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 00:43 (Ref:1149134)   #2
Rowdy
Racer

Australia
The Shire
Rowdy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he has done a pretty good job. Probably one of the better debut years since Ambrose. Like all drivers a bit of bad luck has effected his championsip but 15th (14th?) is a strong performance. He was in top 10 at Adelaide b4 Dumbrell and was looking very good in QLD but for an unlucky safety car. That result could of been anything. Qual does seem the weakness of most new drivers and a 2nd year will help that. Of all Konica graduates i would think this has been the strongest first year of any.

Larko, We miss you.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 01:01 (Ref:1149147)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
just 36 points behind mark skaife and beaten him in the last 3 races.

if someone come up to you at the start of the season and said hi, im going to beat mark skaife this year, you would have laughed. Well now its a possibility!

Top job by the youngster, hope it continues and he takes bargs along for the ride as well.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 07:51 (Ref:1149236)   #4
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He would seem to be the best performing of those comming to the main series from the Konica / Konica Minolta feeder series , I think he has a bright future in the main series.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 08:01 (Ref:1149241)   #5
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would describe his season as solid.

The kid is obviously good. The good thing is he'll get a couple of seasons to establish himself, whereas other kids don't get that opportunity.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 10 Nov 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1149250)   #6
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well , I am one that has been slightly disappointed by Winterbottoms performance . This comes from the perspective that he was touted as Fords next big thing . He has done a solid enough job this year , being his first , but he has not done anything that marks himself out as being something a bit special either . He has made few mistakes , Bathurst aside and seems to stay out of trouble . I thought Winterbottom would have given Bargwana a harder time than he has . It will be interesting to see how he goes next year with a years experience behind him . He will have to improve significantly if he is to become one of of Fords leading drivers .
Old 10 Nov 2004, 09:40 (Ref:1149298)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bathurst withstanding, where the driver made a mistake, and fessed up to it, I think Mr Winterbottom has had a strong debut year.

In comparison to other drivers who have come into Supercar from other championships (Mr Whincup and Mr Dumbrell come immediately to mind) there hasnt been the over driving, the biff and barge, the fight for car space on the road that leaves this car or the people around him, pretty much intact... (again Bathurst not withstanding)

There is no doubt Mr Winterbottom can drive... where the next step comes from is the ability to build on this year's running, and have a real go next season, in the same car, at the same tracks (now more familiar to him)
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Nov 2004, 10:05 (Ref:1149328)   #8
Venom XR
Racer

Australia
Venom XR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Orrcon Racing as a whole outfit have had a great year. Mark W.'s effort has been excellent in his first full season. Jason has done an outstanding job in the lead car. No doubt the crew have backed them up with great work. I'm sure Mark L. is suitably chuffed with 2004 - they should celebrate hard after the last round is over!
Old 10 Nov 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1149456)   #9
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree Venom.
Old 11 Nov 2004, 06:56 (Ref:1150057)   #10
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Interseting to read some of your responses.

Btw, I am sorry that my original post reads a bit like I was drunk when typing it! I hope you could sitll understand what I was saying.........!
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 11 Nov 2004, 12:21 (Ref:1150326)   #11
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Placebo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The Winterbottom Season

Quote:
Originally posted by 00 XR8
Canto was just too slow in qualifying and was all round pretty disappointing in 03
I think Winterbottom has had a great first season.

I also think it would be foolish to compare the level of support Larko has given MW to that given to Dean by John Briggs. (Or that given to Dumbrell by Larry either for that matter)

Last edited by Placebo; 11 Nov 2004 at 12:23.
Old 11 Nov 2004, 12:36 (Ref:1150335)   #12
adz_34
Racer

Australia
Somewhere out there
adz_34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats the golden rule of motorsport?
always judge yourself first against your team mate then every one else. True Winterbottom isnt as far up in the championship as he would probably like, but gee come on for a rookie season its not too bad to be a couple of places behind bargs. Lets put it this way, what he is 14th i think in the c'ship skaifes only just ahead of him, and where is craig lowndes languishing? I would rather be in frostys position than lowndes'
Old 11 Nov 2004, 21:07 (Ref:1150898)   #13
fordo
Racer

fordo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had the SBR equipment in Konica and a big advantage for whatever reason (I am not going to knock the other drivers or teams in opposition, he just out drove them) and in the main game with a new team and a new car (BA) where 100ths of a second can put you at the back of the grid he has done an excellent job to be 14th. By example, wheres Longhurst with his Bathurst winning speed and his CPR built and prepared rocket compared to S Richards.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 04:03 (Ref:1151153)   #14
Pirtek Racing
Racer

Pirtek Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyinsthoz
Well , I am one that has been slightly disappointed by Winterbottoms performance . This comes from the perspective that he was touted as Fords next big thing . He will have to improve significantly if he is to become one of of Fords leading drivers .
that's Ambrose's position right now, and i'm guessing for a while to come, i hope to see the top 10 next year dominated by Ambrose, Ingall, Lowndes, Seton,...and these guys regularly in it: Bargs, Frosty, Bowe, Wilson
Old 12 Nov 2004, 04:07 (Ref:1151158)   #15
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Venom XR
Orrcon Racing as a whole outfit have had a great year. Mark W.'s effort has been excellent in his first full season. Jason has done an outstanding job in the lead car. No doubt the crew have backed them up with great work. I'm sure Mark L. is suitably chuffed with 2004 - they should celebrate hard after the last round is over!
....and thanks to Jimmy and Ross for SBR grrrunt!!
Old 14 Nov 2004, 05:59 (Ref:1152938)   #16
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it had been suggested at the start of the season that he would be 12th in the Championship with one round to go, best of the new boys & with some big names and teams behind him, you would have put money against it.
Looking good for both orrocon cars, pretty good season for frosty.
Old 14 Nov 2004, 06:14 (Ref:1152945)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be nice if Seriously actually put his car on the teev once in a while though... I mean besides the Bathurst incident thing anyway....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Nov 2004, 11:37 (Ref:1153112)   #18
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
On points he can't make the top 10 even if he wins Eastern Creek but to be in the sports top dozen in your first season is amazing. Seven spots ahead of Lowndes, six ahead of Skaife and four ahead of Seton is quite a performance.

GTR, it is good we didn't see Winterbottom today. Bargs got a lot of coverage because he kept turning people around while Winterbottom kept out of trouble.........!