Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Apr 2020, 14:39 (Ref:3970334)   #1251
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Richard, may be you can add the fantastic Chris Amon, one of my favorite. The list of champions sans couronne could be a long one…
And Jacky Ickx.
Old 12 Apr 2020, 14:40 (Ref:3970335)   #1252
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Grant, the model you remember was called The Visible Man. My father sold them in his laboratory & medical equipment shop and although probably intended for 13 year olds they were often bought as an organ location aid by first year medical students at the university. You're right about the gender neutrality, a demure bulge where certain bits should be probably left graduates rather vague on male urology. Hopefully they were able to augment their studies later. My summer job from 10 years old was making up dissection kits for the students, filled with fearsome scalpels and assorted other implements with which to injure myself

Thanks Colin. I don't recall ever knowing the name of the thing. He, along with his older brothers, had so much stuff, most of it seeming to change weekly, that I lost track. I don't think our paths crossed for long. I think his father's posting to the base was quite short and I vaguely remember that they arrived not many months before we returned to the UK so I may have been around 10 myself at the time.

The entire American lifestyle experience at that time seemed like it had been dropped in from another planet.

As for your holiday job - I thought back then is was compulsory for boys aged 6 and upwards to carry pocket knives (for sharpening pencils) and children in general to be familiar with the use scalpels for modelling and making paper based craft things at school.

Nowadays it all seems to be Lego and Lego like derivatives.
Old 12 Apr 2020, 15:14 (Ref:3970338)   #1253
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Think The visible man was called Anatomie 2000 here but dont remember about some details. Would it be a Lancia or Matra engine…

OK, RBS. Can you imagine that Chris Amon was considered as almost French? Can we add François Cevert too?
Old 12 Apr 2020, 15:23 (Ref:3970341)   #1254
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd add Stefan Bellof, in my opinion the fastest of all.
Old 12 Apr 2020, 16:32 (Ref:3970347)   #1255
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
FFS BBC tv news just now had ‘Sterling’ on screen rather than Stirling!!!! Then corrected thankfully......
Old 12 Apr 2020, 16:43 (Ref:3970349)   #1256
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
FFS BBC tv news just now had ‘Sterling’ on screen rather than Stirling!!!! Then corrected thankfully......
I've just read his obituary on the Telegraph & at least half the comments underneath call him 'Sterling', even someone who says he raced against him in Nassau.

Infuriating - if they haven't learned by now they never will.

Incidentally, I think it will be 58 years ago tomorrow that I got his autograph at Snetterton. I remember the date because it was the day before my brother's wedding, so we couldn't go to Snett on race day!
Old 12 Apr 2020, 18:08 (Ref:3970367)   #1257
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

As for your holiday job - I thought back then is was compulsory for boys aged 6 and upwards to carry pocket knives (for sharpening pencils) and children in general to be familiar with the use scalpels for modelling and making paper based craft things at school.

Yes, and I have a scar on my ankle to prove it, sitting on the floor cutting out a card model. Several stitches and even now I get a feeling like an electric shock if something touches it. My cousin had come up from Sussex and was staying with us prior to competing in the Commonwealth games qualifiers, he always blames his failure to qualify on being unable to shake the bloodbath image from his head!
Old 12 Apr 2020, 18:28 (Ref:3970368)   #1258
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I've just read his obituary on the Telegraph & at least half the comments underneath call him 'Sterling', even someone who says he raced against him in Nassau.

Infuriating - if they haven't learned by now they never will.

Incidentally, I think it will be 58 years ago tomorrow that I got his autograph at Snetterton. I remember the date because it was the day before my brother's wedding, so we couldn't go to Snett on race day!
I suspect that a lot of keypads auto correct to an E, and people don't bother to read what they've written.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Apr 2020, 18:46 (Ref:3970370)   #1259
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I’ve told you the story from Goodwood a few years back .I was lucky enough to be driving ex Jim Clark Lotus 18 . Stirling was next to me in collecting area . We are just about to go and he shouts to me “did you check the wheel nuts “
Old 13 Apr 2020, 01:08 (Ref:3970463)   #1260
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I’ve told you the story from Goodwood a few years back .I was lucky enough to be driving ex Jim Clark Lotus 18 . Stirling was next to me in collecting area . We are just about to go and he shouts to me “did you check the wheel nuts “
Brilliant! Gamesmanship!
Old 13 Apr 2020, 05:28 (Ref:3970487)   #1261
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
and people don't bother to read what they've written.
We are even then, other people dont bother to read what they've written either!
Old 13 Apr 2020, 06:45 (Ref:3970493)   #1262
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
We are even then, other people dont bother to read what they've written either!
So very true!!
Old 13 Apr 2020, 10:19 (Ref:3970552)   #1263
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I suspect that a lot of keypads auto correct to an E, and people don't bother to read what they've written.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The keyboard feature on one of my devices/applications has a habit of changing the selected word AFTER I have confirmed I am happy with the current letters.

To be more exact, unless you remember to specifically select the word and force its use it will always select its own preferred suggestion. I suspect this is a "feature" but since not all of the typing application do the same thing it can be very annoying when it catches one out after one has checked the entry. Even if one spots it a battle often ensues as one attempts to correct its correction. It clearly has an implicit belief that it will always be right. That justifies it sneaking in changes after one has moved on.
Old 13 Apr 2020, 13:10 (Ref:3970573)   #1264
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The keyboard feature on one of my devices/applications has a habit of changing the selected word AFTER I have confirmed I am happy with the current letters.

To be more exact, unless you remember to specifically select the word and force its use it will always select its own preferred suggestion. I suspect this is a "feature" but since not all of the typing application do the same thing it can be very annoying when it catches one out after one has checked the entry. Even if one spots it a battle often ensues as one attempts to correct its correction. It clearly has an implicit belief that it will always be right. That justifies it sneaking in changes after one has moved on.
Yes that happens two me to.
Old 13 Apr 2020, 14:58 (Ref:3970587)   #1265
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Too Kee? Dont tell me about when I see what this machine does with my so perfect and Oxbridge english…
Old 13 Apr 2020, 15:31 (Ref:3970593)   #1266
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can just picture Iain's spelling corrector going "Quassons? - haven't got a clue. I'll leave it as it is"
Old 13 Apr 2020, 15:38 (Ref:3970596)   #1267
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Best one spotted so far -

A comment under an obituary to Sir Stirling ended with 'RIP Sterling'.

The following comment simply said "it's not about the economy..."
Old 13 Apr 2020, 15:52 (Ref:3970600)   #1268
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Best one spotted so far -

A comment under an obituary to Sir Stirling ended with 'RIP Sterling'.

The following comment simply said "it's not about the economy..."
Brilliant!

I did see one (American) page referring to him as "Sir Moss". Dear, dear, two countries separated by a common language.
Old 13 Apr 2020, 16:37 (Ref:3970607)   #1269
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Had enough in garage so thought I do something I’ve been thinking of for years . Up in loft looking at old race programmes and results .Should be back down In a couple of days .
Old 13 Apr 2020, 17:10 (Ref:3970616)   #1270
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I dont care so much how to spell kwoissons, nobody asks here. What's important is how good they are baked.
Old 13 Apr 2020, 18:28 (Ref:3970623)   #1271
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Brilliant!

I did see one (American) page referring to him as "Sir Moss". Dear, dear, two countries separated by a common language.
I did see a sign in a shop window in Lisbon many years ago which said, “English spoken, American understood”!!!
Old 13 Apr 2020, 23:50 (Ref:3970656)   #1272
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

PEBKAC! - problem exists between keyboard and computer (old Help Desk saying)
Old 14 Apr 2020, 08:08 (Ref:3970700)   #1273
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes that happens two me to.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 14:59 (Ref:3970783)   #1274
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
PEBKAC! - problem exists between keyboard and computer (old Help Desk saying)
Exactly.

Of course for a smart phone it's tricky to separate one from the other.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 19:45 (Ref:3970831)   #1275
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Well I've seen plenty of the BTCC but this is really silly !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqIziuag21I
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Closed Thread