Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 18 Aug 2003, 14:15 (Ref:1814069)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scott Brown, Archie

I received an e-mail from Maurice Levy ( who has a classic F3 ex-Bond March) regarding these old memories of Snetterton.
He has had trouble logging on and asked me to post the following for him. He thought it would be a good idea ( I wholly agree!) to make members aware of the Archie Scott-Brown memorial plaque and has also included some fascinating info about his earlier racing days.

Quote:
"As a local (24 miles distant) to Snetterton, my first visit was in 1955 to watch the Lotus Mk 10 of Kasterine and with various motorcycle and car racing activities,I've been a regular ever since. I would like to remind other members that though in a poor state,the plaque in the memory of our dear departed Archie Scott-Brown still resides on the rear outside wall of the scrutineering bay ( race control side). I was one of the "original" slaves at Hornsey for Chapman from 1955 -1960. As Team Lotus, we were based at Florence Road in Edmonton (working round the plaster mock up of Fraylings Elite - the prettiest GT car EVER !) but the move to Cheshunt never inspired me and after a row with Chapman on our return from the 1960 Argentine GP I left - along with the prototype Mk 18 (Innes Irelands car) to work for Mike Taylor who crashed the car at Spa in practice for the 1960 Belgian Gp when a steering column weld broke (another story)!" Maurice Levy

Thanks for your input Maurice, I often stop and look at the plaque when at Snett. Archie was indeed 'Mr.Snetterton' back in the 50s, he started his career there, drove for Brian Lister just down the road in Cambridge and had his garage buisness on the A604 road ( now A14) a few miles outside the city. It is now a bit derelict next to the Travel Lodge (opposite the Cambridge Services) towards Huntingdon.
The Snetterton plaque sometimes looks a bit forgotten but certainly not on the occasion of the Archie Scott-Brown trophy - a tradition the East Anglian BRSCC carries on to this day. At this meeting, a laurel wreath is hung upon the plaque. At the AMOC 50th anniversary Snetterton meeting in 2001 it was nice to see the Pearson's Lister Jaguar parked beside the plaque for the weekend. A fitting tribute. Although too young to have seen him race myself, my father knew Archie and passed on many stories. Long may Archie be remembered.

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Jan 2007 at 13:51. Reason: Driver Files edit.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 09:22 (Ref:1814072)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As mentioned above, Archie Scott-Brown was remembered at the 2001 Snetterton 50th anniversary meeting and Gary Pearson's Lister Jaguar was parked by the rememberance plaque that can be seen on the wall of the scrutineering bay.
Attached Thumbnails
sn01-archie-plaque.jpg  
Old 13 May 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1813984)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Scott-Brown, Archie

William Archibald Scott-Brown was born on this day in Paisley Scotland, May 13th 1927.

'Archie' is remembered fondly in Cambridge as his family lived in the city and for his links with Brian Lister as the greatest driver of the Cambridge Lister-Jaguar marque. In his short career of only 7 years, he had 71 victories, 44 of those in Lister cars including 15 International wins.

He had this success despite adversity ( he had a malformed right arm), but died at Spa in 1958. He went off during a rain shower in his fine scrap for the lead with Masten Gregory. Archie's Lister 'VPP 9' left the road after the left hand kink before La Source (also where Dick Seaman was killed in 1939). The F1 pits are located on this spot now.

Today a 'blue' plaque is being unveiled in Cambridge to honour this fine sportsman with Brian Lister in attendance.

Archie's old garage is still standing but derelict. This was on the A604 road between Cambridge and Huntingdon, now known as the A14. It is next to the Travelodge, dead opposite the Cambridge Services.
I always think of the stories my father told me of him whenever I pass. A legend of the local car clubs, our local circuit Snetterton and the motorsport world in general.
Old 13 May 2004, 14:19 (Ref:1813985)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm delighted at this. Archie Scott-Brown was one of those people who leaped off the page at me. I was born a decade after he died but I regard him as very much a hero.

Nice to see that other people remember him too.
Old 13 May 2004, 14:45 (Ref:1813986)   #5
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Truly a hero! Like Tim I was born too late to have seen him, but he appears to have been a fantastic driver despite his handicap, and to have been a true character. He was one of the few people to have been truly at home in a Lister Jag and so many of the photos of him show him drifting them perfectly around the corners. An excellent account is in "Archie and the Listers".

Duncan

PS There are stories of him inverting a car at a race meeting, then when crawling out from underneath. A Marshal arriving at the scene saw his deformed arm first and assumed that the rest of the arm had been lost in the incident and promptly fainted!
Old 13 May 2004, 14:48 (Ref:1813987)   #6
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to echo what Tim says. It's good to see a driver of his calibre being honoured - his story deserves to be better known in the world at large. Funny how, when you see a picture of a Lister, you can immediately spot if it's Archie driving it - he has a very distinctive look and style!

Bob Marley
Old 13 May 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1813989)   #7
hodsonaj
Rookie

hodsonaj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear hear to all the above. Perhaps fortunately I am old enough to have seen the man drive - at Aintree in 1957 at the Grand Prix meeting. He always was a hero of mine.
As Robert Edwards says, it is an interesting thought that today he probably would not get a licence - different times indeed
Tony Hodson
Old 13 May 2004, 20:47 (Ref:1813990)   #8
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is good stuff.
As a kid, I saw him at Goodwood. I specifically remember he was very aggressive in his driving style - quite 'fearless' - in throwing the Lister Jag around. Intimidatory would be a good word. It was striking that he obviously had no fear in competing with Clark and Salvadory etc
Old 15 May 2004, 17:54 (Ref:1813993)   #9
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A fantastic sportsman, and one that deserves recognition outside of afficiandos of the sport. I've seen a plan of the lines he took round goodwood in the lister, and his car was virtually never in a straight line, a testament to the superb car control of Archie. He is a great example to everyone, not just fans of the sport, and to me he is one of those great what ifs had he not had his accident at Spa. Thanks Andrew for posting this.
Old 21 May 2004, 21:45 (Ref:1813994)   #10
Gnuvolari
Rookie

Gnuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just seen this thread. Yes, Archie S-B was an oft referred-to legend during my formative years - my dad was always reminiscing about him, having known him well via the Cambridge 50 Car Club which he belonged to along with Brian Lister, Don Moore, etc.
I currently have on loan the Cambridge 50 Car Club photo album from the original photographer, Roger Bowyer. It is a major scanning job, but will be worth it. Lots of pics of Archie. Will post here as soon as, but it may take a while.

Also, I'm pretty sure I read in the local paper last week that the plaque is to go on a house in Hills Road, Cambridge?
Old 23 Aug 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1814147)   #11
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Archie Scott-Brown at Snetterton

I spent a pleasurable couple of hours recently with Brian Lister at his wonderful home, fascinated with his tales of Archie. A couple of days earlier I was in the company of my old friend Jack Sears who was a very close friend of the great little Scottish driver. Infact Archie was godfather to his son David, boss of Supernova Racing GP2 team.

The reason I wanted to see them both was to show them the 40 x 30in painting below, which I have done of Archie in what Brian describes 'the' Lister Jaguar. The scene is Archie's victory in the 1957 Stanley Sears ( Jack's father) trophy race at Snetterton, in the famous MVE 303. I have shown him in the Esses, now known as the 'bombhole', with the contemporary limited amount of spectator protection, provided by the low wooden fence as was in '57. The long Norwich Straight was parallel to the hedge/trees in the distance.

This painting was commissioned by Steve Bradley, like me a Cambridge man. It was therefore a pleasure to paint a scene of this famous Cambridge marque, driven by it's famous Cambridge resident, at our local track.

Steve will publish it as a Brian Lister signed print and Jonathan Palmer will enlarge the painting to a couple of metres wide to fill one of the walls in the refurbished 'Tyrrells' restaurant at the circuit. One of the framed prints will be displayed in the new Archie Scott-Brown centre, the new scruitineering building at the circuit.

Those familiar with the old Archie memorial plaque that was displayed since 1969 on the old (recently demolished) scruitineering garage at Snett should not despair. It is safe and well at the new building. Jonathan admirably has a good sense of the history of his circuits. Brian, Jack and John Pearson were worried that it may dissappear and wanted to move it to the BRDC at Silverstone. However Jonathan said it must stay at Snetterton. John Pearson took a rubbing of the memorial stone and a replica is now placed in the grounds of the BRDC suite, unveiled at the recent HSCC classic meeting. It is placed next to the Graham Hill memorial.
The bronze face sculpture of Archie, positioned in the centre of the memorial has also been reproduced, amazingly using the original mould, which has been with the original artist Cavendish Morton on the Isle of Wight, now well into his 90s.

I hope in a small way, I have helped with this painting to keep the legend of Archie alive, as Brian says ' a real 'Boy's own' schoolboy story. Having read Doug Nye's book 'Powered by Jaguar' which certainly helped me with research and also reading 'Archie and the Listers', speaking to Brian and Jack, I could not help thinking Archie and Brian's story would make a wonderful and moving film.

I was born after Archie's death. I hope I have managed to capture the scene as some of you here may remember.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1814150)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Brian confirmed to me that this car, the original Lister Jaguar was broken up after its return from the New Zealand tour in the winter of '57/'58. He said it was worthless and you could virtually give away D-types back then. No-one wanted them. What would it be worth now if it was still in existance? Could imagine it being thrown around at the revival in almost 'Archie' sideways style!

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Jan 2007 at 13:02. Reason: Driver Files Edit!
Old 23 Aug 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1814152)   #13
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Iv got loads of motor racing books but Archie and the Listers is my all time favorite. A helluva story! A helluva guy id say and what a shame he died like he did but he obviously pushed it well beyond the limits.Pure bravery.The bit about the team bringing the car home from Spa is goosepimply stuff. i will keep a lookout for a print if it is available its magnificent.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1814153)   #14
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Jack told me of the time they did the Monte together in 1956. At the time, the pair of them smoked. When Archie was driving, he could control the car with the 'stub' he had as his disabled right hand, yet somehow open the cigarette packet, take one out, open the box of matches and strike it, all with his left hand, at the same time doing 90mph on an Alpine roads sideways. Jack said he had remarkable car control and balance. He would always win the 'slow' bicycle race at school, balancing on the spot without actually moving off the line.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1814155)   #15
Tim 27
Racer

England
March,Cambs
Tim 27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations Andrew, what a great picture.
So pleased to hear the plaque has stayed at its rightful home, but I seem to remember it being installed while I was acting as a 'race runner' at Snett in maybe the mid seventies? Please tell me that at 38 I'm not already losing my marbles!!!!
Old 25 Aug 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1814156)   #16
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Thanks chaps. Brian confirmed to me that this car, the original Lister Jaguar was broken up after its return from the New Zealand tour in the winter of '57/'58. He said it was worthless and you could virtually give away D-types back then. No-one wanted them. What would it be worth now if it was still in existance? Could imagine it being thrown around at the revival in almost 'Archie' sideways style!
Maybe they should get Pete Hardeman to drive one at Goodwood. I remember seeing him drive the Dino in '98, throwing it sideways through Fordwater. My observer said it reminded him of Archie.
Brilliant painting Andrew, wouldn't mind one myself.

Ok trivia time now. Anyone who knows anything about Archie will know he lived in Portugal Place in Cambridge. But did you know that Tony Purnell (ex Jag F1 boss) started Pi Research on his kitchen table in Portugal Place. (Never have found out if it was the same house).

Steve B
Old 25 Aug 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1814157)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Blimey didn't know that Steve, Archie lived at 17 Portugal Place, before that 163 Hills Road. Another bit of trivia, he went to the Perse school, same school as famous Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour and Pink Floyd founder Syd Barrett lived just down the road number 183 Hills Road but a few years later!
Old 25 Aug 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1814158)   #18
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 27
Congratulations Andrew, what a great picture.
So pleased to hear the plaque has stayed at its rightful home, but I seem to remember it being installed while I was acting as a 'race runner' at Snett in maybe the mid seventies? Please tell me that at 38 I'm not already losing my marbles!!!!
Sorry Tim, but according to the books it was unveiled by Bill Scott Brown at Snett at the end of the day's racing at the opening meeting of the '69 season. To quote from Robert Edwards' 'Archie and the Listers':

"At the end of the day of furious activity and strident noise, an almost uncanny silence settled on the circuit when the beautiful memorial plaque to Archie Scott Brown was unveiled by his father. The vast crowd on both sides of the course was completely stilled as it paid its respects to that fine man who, as the inscription reminds us, if a reminder should ever be needed, represented all that is best in the sport. If ever a man was genuinely admired, by those who knew him personally and by those who only applauded his great skill and indomitable courage from the spectators' enclosure, that man was Archie Scott Brown; it is fitting that his home circuit should have this perpetual tribute to his memory".

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Jan 2007 at 13:54.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 10:03 (Ref:1814161)   #19
I16
Racer

I16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope you do not mind this question - when did this great car have headlights fitted ?
Most of the photos I have seen have lights up front.

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Jan 2007 at 13:55. Reason: Driver Files edit.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 10:08 (Ref:1814162)   #20
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The headlights were fitted a little later in the '57 season, when the car was entered for international events, as required by the regs. The car stayed in this configuration, with lights, until the end of it's life when broken up on return from the NZ races in early '58.

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Jan 2007 at 13:55.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1814169)   #21
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was at Goodwood as a youngster when Archie raced there, but I really was to young to remember anything over flamboyant at the time. I do remember he was bloody quick really flying, extremely aggressive, particularly for someone with a disability. His Brown 'leather' helmet I can still picture; that and waking Clark up.
You're right Andrew; it's the truth that modern race cars with so much grip from modern rubber, aerodynamics and very exacting geometries positively legislate against large slip angles. Pity isn't it? With our own race program in latter years, things only really got interesting when there was a lot of traffic, it rained or nighttime came - great if all at once, round Spa for example!
Old 29 Jun 2006, 12:15 (Ref:1814209)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HSCC (& Archie Scott Brown Memorial dedication) - Snetterton,1 & 2 July (with photos)

This coming weekend, Snetterton plays host to the great series of races with big grids that have been a feature of HSCC meetings this year. In addition, HSCC and Motorsportvision (owner's of Snetterton) have agreed that this would be an appropriate meeting to dedicate the new Scrutineering and Exclusive Testing Centre to the memory of Archie Scott Brown. The old stone mounted plaque in his memory has been cleaned and will be place on a new plinth and mounted in front of the new building, which will be called the Archie Scott Brown Centre. Arrangements have been made to invite former and current Lister owners and drivers to attend the unveiling which will take place on Saturday, 1st July. On Sunday, at lunchtime, a parade will be held in Archie's honour.

This should be a great meeting, as well as a tribute to a motor racing legend.

I will be there on Sunday, and will hopefully be able to post a few of my pictures up, in the usual way, on this thread, during the following week.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 15:15 (Ref:1814213)   #23
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The plan at present is to have the memorial plaque in its new position unveiled and re-dedicated by Brian Lister and Jack Sears at around 12 noon on Saturday, outside the new scrutineering bay which will be officially opened and named as 'The Archie Scott Brown Centre'. This will probably be followed by a Q&A session and is being done on Saturday as Jack cannot make Sunday. As president of the Ferrari OC, he has an event with them Sunday. Jack and Archie were the greatest of friends, infact Jack's son David ( boss of Supernova GP2 ) is Archie's godson.

Christopher Lunn's 'knobbly' will be placed by the memorial all day Saturday.

On Sunday Brian will be present with many of Archie's old friends and folk connected with Lister. Two BRDC 50s sportscar races should include a Lister or two and there will be a lunchtime track parade.

My Snetterton painting of ASB in the 1957 Lister Jaguar has been enlarged to wall size and will be fixed in the new scrutineering bay for permanent display before the weekend. A framed print will be displayed in the Tyrrells bar, donated by publisher Steve Bradley of Art, Antiques & Autos.

Glorious weather forecast and glorious cars at Snett. Should be a good weekend!
Old 3 Jul 2006, 09:30 (Ref:1814219)   #24
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
A great weekend, very unusual hot weather for Snett!
The Archie tribute and unveiling was terrific. Pity there were so few Lister cars in attendance, two on show and one racing, however very moving. Preperations for the Le Mans Classic sidelined many BRDC entries and the NIMBY modern day noise restrictions prevented an F5000 entry or two in the DBT from appearing.

Christopher Lunn's Lister knobbly on display on Saturday by the new Archie Scott Brown Centre.

On Saturday lunchtime, Jonathan Palmer flew in from Brands for an hour or so to host the unveiling and interviewed Brian Lister and Jack Sears.

The memorial plaque, which stood for years unloved by the previous circuit owners in a hidden spot on the wall of the old scrutineering shed, now proudly mounted outside the ASBC. L-R Jonathan, Brian and Jack.

On Sunday, John Pearson drove Brian around in the Costin bodied Lister at the head of the parade of BRDC 50s sportscars. Afterwards Ian Titchmarsh interviewed Brian, one of many he was to do during the day as BBC East were in attendance, recording for a film they are making about Archie due out later in the year.

Terrific photo of Archie, 6ft high on the wall inside the ASBC scrutineering bay.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1814223)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll just add a couple of images to Andrew's with regard to the Archie Scott Brown commemoration. The BRDC cars, led by the Costin Lister and Archie's MG TD, gave a demonstration in and out lap. To capture the moment, we were allowed to stand on the pitwall. Here, John Pearson drives, Brian Lister waves! The MG has just come into view:-

The MG, displaying the registration no. XS 6931 (see page 67 of Robert Edwards book, mentioned earlier):-

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Jan 2007 at 13:57. Reason: Driver Files edit.