Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Mar 2004, 10:58 (Ref:895716)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is weighing on my mind.

Lets play guess the strategy.

It is said that the changes to the pit-lane and pit-lane speed limit could make a three stopper the preferred strategy. So who is on what?

My guess is that most are on a three stopper. Ferrari haven't done anything bizaar and that is a true reflection of race race (or at least the begining of the stint).

I also think that Ferrari should be OK with tyre degredation. Williams may have more of a problm here, like one or two other Michelin runners (although maybe not Renault).

McLaren are they really that pace (notwithstanding DC's moment), or are they planning a two stopper? Hmmm. I suspect not.

As for the rest, I see nothing too unusual, expcept perhaps an early first stop for the BARs and Webber (could be wrong?).
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:05 (Ref:895726)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK then,

But the top four are very close in terms of times and we know the Beemer is the most powerful engine. And they usually run long stints.

Ralf seemed to have excessive understeer which could indicate a different fuel load to JPM (?)

The BAR seems to be reflecting its testing pace so again the fuel level may well be similar to the Williams.

So Ferrari, Williams, BAR and Jag on 3 stops, Renault and Macaroon on two.

Of the others I suspect Sauber will be on two stops and running "interference" for big bro.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:11 (Ref:895735)   #3
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, Jag were strange last year, you would swear they were on a short first stint, but then they'd stick it with the rest, if they can keep the michelens gripping through the stint they might grab a top 5 or two.

I think that BAR are on a fairly solid 3 stop, and I believe that Williams will be running fairly similarly to ferrari.

And Mclaren will be 2 stopping is my guess...

and finally, I dreamt the results last night:
Schumacher (michael, i think, but i'm not to sure)
Trulli
Webber.

so if they are right, i'm the official Ten-Tenths psychic. But if its anythign like my IRL picks, they will be first 3 to crash out.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:16 (Ref:895748)   #4
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing I noticed was that the McLaren was running lower revs - Most teams where getting near 19K but McLaren never pushed passed 18.5k's so they may be on a three stop as since their engine looks to be lacking they would want to keep light.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:17 (Ref:895752)   #5
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say, even as a McLaren supporter, that they are on 3 stoppers, and really just don't have the pace.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:53 (Ref:895802)   #6
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And I'd agree with you. As a DC follower and frequent self mutilator.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:59 (Ref:895809)   #7
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maclaren have tended to run heavier than others for the last two(?) years!
so i think they could well be on two stops.All other relevant ones on three stops
What about ralf? i suspect he just had setup problems,not sure about that one.JPM has allways gone much better than him when the car is tricky.Is the williams tricky to drive right now?
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:14 (Ref:895903)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed with RWC here I reckon McLaren are certainly continuing there trend of sacrificing qually pace for race pace - I certainly have some recollection of their cars moving up during some races in 2003.

I certainly think Ferrari, Monotya and BAR are definitely three stops Ralf could be on two.

Last edited by touringlegend; 6 Mar 2004 at 13:16.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 14:59 (Ref:895986)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the majority of them are on three stoppers, certainly. It is possible Montoya is slightly longer for the first stint.

The McLarens are confusing.......surely they are on two-stops? They have been developing that car continuously since late November 2003, and end up 10th and 12th? That is very dissapointing if they are on a similar strategy to the front guys.

As for Renault, I have no idea frankly!
Old 6 Mar 2004, 15:23 (Ref:895995)   #10
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Champ69
One thing I noticed was that the McLaren was running lower revs - Most teams where getting near 19K but McLaren never pushed passed 18.5k's so they may be on a three stop as since their engine looks to be lacking they would want to keep light.
There is the possibility, (however slight IMO), that McLaren, with the 1 engine rule, are taking the conservative, realiable route. At least until they iron out any difficulties they may be experiencing .... and gambling that Williams/Ferrari are overtaxing their motors. If so the 1 engine rule may turn out to be a large factor before all is said and done.

Last edited by Kirk; 6 Mar 2004 at 15:26.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 15:44 (Ref:896026)   #11
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the great thing about the current qualification rules is nobody has any idea what they're watching happen on track, and therefore it saves you from wasting your time getting up at 3am to watch it.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 15:50 (Ref:896030)   #12
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
the great thing about the current qualification rules is nobody has any idea what they're watching happen on track, and therefore it saves you from wasting your time getting up at 3am to watch it.
I must admit, good point. However, some will argue that the astute observer could ascertain some strategies by watching the subtlties of the way the cars are handling in quali.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 17:09 (Ref:896085)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
I must admit, good point. However, some will argue that the astute observer could ascertain some strategies by watching the subtlties of the way the cars are handling in quali.
i'm not sure if you're being satirical or not?!
Old 6 Mar 2004, 17:24 (Ref:896102)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
MMMM, I reckon that Jenson will stop before the Ferrari's and JPM after the Ferrari's. Not too sure about the rest of the grid.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 17:25 (Ref:896103)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
Kirk, are you Ron Dennis in disguise? Very "Ron-speak"
Old 6 Mar 2004, 17:28 (Ref:896107)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't imagine Ron saying "quali" though.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 21:56 (Ref:896279)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
And I'd agree with you. As a DC follower and frequent self mutilator.
DC did give a stoic, seemingly traditional performance. DC fans deserve a break sometime.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 22:31 (Ref:896302)   #18
Startline1
Rookie

Startline1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then most all are 3 stopping and so all remains the same.

Seems we`ve been here before,the rules change slighly and we look forward to a glorified procession or an engineered race.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 22:37 (Ref:896308)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Why you watching then?
Old 6 Mar 2004, 22:59 (Ref:896329)   #20
Startline1
Rookie

Not watching as i want true motorsport,not an egomaniac led show.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 23:09 (Ref:896336)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

So why are you here then?
Old 7 Mar 2004, 00:06 (Ref:896373)   #22
Startline1
Rookie

Knowlesy, this is not about any one of us but the good of the SPORT which we all love.

My comments are those of a fan but a fan who thinks the spirit of the sport has been tarnished by the ineffectiveness of the FIA and the undue influense of the car manufacturers/Bernie.

We can debate till the end of time the developments whithin F1 but to the man in the street all they see is the same old thing and therefore no reason to make any great effort to watch the races and those are the people we need to provide the reason for sponsors to support the series.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 00:17 (Ref:896382)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, I'm sure your dissapointment won't go on for too much longer. I can understnd your frustrations, although I don't feel them myself as I frankly couldn't care less if Schuey wins again, as long as the race is exciting and the technology is there to admire. Depends what you're in the sport to look for really......