Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Jun 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2891760)   #1
Charlyw001
Rookie

Charlyw001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
marshalling internationally?

How do we volunteer/get invited for international events also do we need to be certain grades ?

Charlotte
Old 5 Jun 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2891765)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Contact the organising club as normal and offer your services.

Some meetings will require a letter of authorisation from your MSA or for you to have a suitable level of experience and there may be other application criteria. On the whole, the level of difficulty in getting in will probably be in inverse proportion to the status of the meeting.
Old 5 Jun 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2891771)   #3
Charlyw001
Rookie

how to marshal internationally

Thanks for that for now I'll keep it local then till I get enough experience

Charlotte
Old 6 Jun 2011, 02:03 (Ref:2891858)   #4
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charlotte, you are welcome to marshal with us Yankees even if you only have a little experience. We'll break you in right and we don't have pork pies!
Old 6 Jun 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2892453)   #5
Charlyw001
Rookie

international marshal

a bit of a distance to go for a weekend me thinks would be fun seeing nascar or as my sister calls it giant scalextric...

Charlotte
Old 7 Jun 2011, 00:03 (Ref:2892528)   #6
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charlotte, I think I know someone who could get you into yep, Charlotte for a NASCAR race, but you will need more experience first.

Take a loong week holiday so you can work two race weekends in one trip over here.
Old 7 Jun 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2893014)   #7
Charlyw001
Rookie

international marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflagger View Post
Charlotte, I think I know someone who could get you into yep, Charlotte for a NASCAR race, but you will need more experience first.

Take a loong week holiday so you can work two race weekends in one trip over here.
I might just take you up on that as I'm due a holiday in the upcoming months.

charlotte
Old 7 Jun 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2893016)   #8
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Rich D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are very welcoming in Canada as well, and we DO have Pork Pies (if you know where to look) AND speak the same language. Montreal F1 is a favourite destination, as well as the Indy Car races in Toronto and Edmonton. Plenty of Pro and Regional racing at Mosport if you are in the Toronto area.
Old 7 Jun 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2893054)   #9
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I found the folks in South Australia to be very welcoming last year when I got marooned there by that thar volcano. I now proudly wear their badge (SAMROA) on my overalls pocket
Old 7 Jun 2011, 20:42 (Ref:2893074)   #10
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you fancy a trip to the darker side, the Belgian tarmac rallies are great fun, plus you do get a contribution/accomodation. The Ypres rally in June and the Tour of Flanders in Sept have a big british following/entry
Old 7 Jun 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2893090)   #11
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post
We are very welcoming in Canada as well, and we DO have Pork Pies (if you know where to look) AND speak the same language. Montreal F1 is a favourite destination, as well as the Indy Car races in Toronto and Edmonton. Plenty of Pro and Regional racing at Mosport if you are in the Toronto area.
I second that
Volunteered for the CGP in late May for a race 3 weeks later! (Can't do that in UK for own GP!)
Old 8 Jun 2011, 01:56 (Ref:2893191)   #12
blueflagger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post
Sure, you say you speak the same language and then you mention Montreal. La langue n'est pas le meme.

Mind you, Montreal is one of my favorite cities and I always enjoyed working the GP there.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 09:47 (Ref:2893325)   #13
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charlotte...Go for it! NASCAR is a "Race Apart" from normal SCCA* marshalling. They only want observers on the ovals and, speaking to the Circuit Manager at Infineon, they tend to not need flag marshals at all.
*Sports Car Club of America is the main (But not only) racing club in the US, divided up into "Regions", and these are grouped in "Divisions". I started my US adventure marshalling at Laguna Seca, so I wrote to the circuit, who forwarded my details to the San Francisco Region...and the rest was easy! As my friend & I were the first Brits to marshal in that region, a small period of incredability was followed by a warmth and friendship. Some exist to this day!
If you want further details or contacts on the west coast of the US or Canada, PM me.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2893426)   #14
Broom pusher
Rookie

Wales
Bridgend
Broom pusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends how far you want to travel. I have found the organisers at Zandvoort most helpful. e-mail them at secretariat@oca-zandvoort.nl.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2893812)   #15
Suttie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oldham
Suttie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who do we speak to regarding marshalling at le mans for next year 2012, I have looked all over the place and I am struggling, any ideas please.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2894111)   #16
Charlyw001
Rookie

marshal internationally

Will think seriously about the Canadian/USA marshal for 2012 I have family in BC and friends in the US so could combine it all.

Belgium and Holland didn't even think about that, I'm in Belgium and holland on a regular basis along with France.

I guess the serious question needs to be what level marshal do I need to be ? obviously a greater grade than Trainee. Maybe if the Canadian people could send me a PM we can deal with it

Charlotte

PS what's this about the US marshals not having pork pies am I missing something ?
Old 10 Jun 2011, 01:01 (Ref:2894859)   #17
blueflagger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlyw001 View Post
PS what's this about the US marshals not having pork pies am I missing something ?
Nope. If you haven't experienced the result of eating pork pies on the banks, you aren't missing a thing. It's very peaceful that way.

You will hear about it soon enough if you stick with marshalling.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 14:30 (Ref:2897120)   #18
dlt363
Rookie

dlt363 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard that both the Spa 24 hours and the Belgian Grand Prix are open to British marshals. Anybody know who I can contact to follow this up?

Last edited by dlt363; 12 Jun 2011 at 14:42.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2897272)   #19
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt363 View Post
I've heard that both the Spa 24 hours and the Belgian Grand Prix are open to British marshals. Anybody know who I can contact to follow this up?
I've got a pits contact if you do pits but there are others who do track who may be able to help.

The Spa 24 is a fantastic event, I'd really recommend it
Old 13 Jun 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2898378)   #20
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For all of you asking about marshalling abroad, remember you do need to have a letter of authorisation from the MSA. You can apply on their web site. They require you to be graded above trainee. Some people say you can get away without this, but it will catch up with you and you could lose your MSA registration.

For those who want to do Le Mans, you can't apply directly, the application has to come via the ASN which holds your registration, for Brits the MSA. There is a tick box on the marshalling abroad form on the web site.

More information in the BMMC book 50 years of marshalling. Remember also the BMMC insurance covers you abroad, whist the MSA's does not.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 09:55 (Ref:2898661)   #21
Charlyw001
Rookie

marshal internationally

I've just received the forms although still for 2011 unsure when 2012's one will appear.

It's good to know that at if we do marshal abroad then there is insurance cover. Am I correct in thinking that to marshal Le Mans we would need to be of a certain grade

Charlotte [finally dried out after Abingdon]
Old 14 Jun 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2898674)   #22
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few things:

Belgian Grand Prix: Don't build your hopes up! A few years ago many UK marshals worked the event, to the extent that Belgian marshals were turned away, so they had to stop the UK involvement. Nothing to stop you doing the 24 hour race though!

Don Basins takes a group of Brits over to Germany for the Nurenburg 24 hour race. They man loads of posts, and it's some I've always wanted to do. One day...

The SCCA runs it's own (mandatory) insurance scheme. At Long Beach they ask you to join the SCCA for the weekend, but if you don't need their insurance, then they tear everything up. However at Thunderhill, it actually cost us $20 (I think!) to get temporary membership.

Le Mans, you just need to be anything but a trainee. The MSA will forward your name to the ACO, send you an autorisation to marshal abroad, which you must take with you. You will need to send a copy of your licence with your application.

If you want a trial run, but don't fancy a long trip, why not try Ireland? They talk funny and drink engine oil, but are very friendly!
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:16 (Ref:2898733)   #23
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert View Post
If you want a trial run, but don't fancy a long trip, why not try Ireland? They talk funny and drink engine oil, but are very friendly!
I've marshalled at both Kirkistown and Mondello and can thoroughly reccomend the trip accross the Irish Sea. Be warned that if you drive over then the ferries are VERY expensive. One of our Irish colleagues (such as the Evil pumpkin herself) will be able to point you in the right contact direction.

Zandvoort is also a great trip. the ferries are cheaper (try Norfolk line Dover to Dunkirk) and the Dutch all speak English which is handy if your Dutch is as bad as mine.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2898753)   #24
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
Zandvoort is also a great trip. the ferries are cheaper (try Norfolk line Dover to Dunkirk) and the Dutch all speak English which is handy if your Dutch is as bad as mine.
Add Assen to that list too.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:54 (Ref:2898766)   #25
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
One thing to remember about Le Mans is that the Post Chief has the final say on who is on his team. (and in some cases NOT on the post)
It can improve your chances of being selected if you already know someone who does Le Mans (and being 10th buddies or FB friends is not usually enough) and can recommend you.

I'm told we have a waiting list for our post.