Old 8 Sep 2011, 20:46 (Ref:2952931)   #26
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flagman View Post
Having my Volunteering Slip for Goodwood Revival accepted for the fourteenth year in a row - flagging at 2F
Happiest moment - the very first Revival just as the track was opening Ray Hanna flying his Spitfire along the start/finish straight about 10m off the ground. Unbelieveable. And every air display at the event since especially the early evening flying intended for Lord March's guests that catches the campsite full chat.

See you next week for some more.
I'm with you on that one - Ray Hanna's fly past was AWESOME!
Old 8 Sep 2011, 20:57 (Ref:2952934)   #27
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think 10m off the ground is being generous..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnc78LW7V1U

Certainly made me duck, and something that I won't ever forget!
Old 8 Sep 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2952938)   #28
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrawlings View Post
Was at those events too. Couldn't agree more! As for the hill climb..... Will be there on Sunday. First time ! ;-)
Splendid news, you are in for a treat - only downside is it looks like it will be a wet one for the last of the season.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2952941)   #29
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That one driver who never gets it quite right and gives you a right ol' giggle. Sticker Rub and Dave Brand will remember back the the 750MC Mallory meeting

Also, Rockingham's oval in the damp. The pickups like that wall don't they!
Old 9 Sep 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2953062)   #30
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think my happiest moment was also one of the most somber, signing on at my 1st meeting back after the sudden death of my mum last year, all the lads coming up and offering a handshake and a arm on my shoulder and a hug from all the girls, think the gaffer summed it up with his handshake and " welcome back home mate". that morning meant so much to me and made me realise what being a marshal was all about. true loyal friendship
Old 9 Sep 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2953331)   #31
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thought that its only 30 or so sleeps till the best rally in the World...
Old 10 Sep 2011, 00:10 (Ref:2953377)   #32
AMP Marshal
Racer

Canada
Nova Scotia
AMP Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
I think my happiest moment was also one of the most somber, signing on at my 1st meeting back after the sudden death of my mum last year, all the lads coming up and offering a handshake and a arm on my shoulder and a hug from all the girls, think the gaffer summed it up with his handshake and " welcome back home mate". that morning meant so much to me and made me realise what being a marshal was all about. true loyal friendship
Wow, well said, well said.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2954101)   #33
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrawlings View Post
Was at those events too. Couldn't agree more! As for the hill climb..... Will be there on Sunday. First time ! ;-)
Not a bad first day for you then. Some interesting driving in mixed conditions, a walk down the hill to see whats what *AND* a prize in the Marshal's Draw - can't be bad!!

Hope to see you at Gurston again next season...
Old 13 Sep 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2954919)   #34
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flagging at my first LMS event at Silverstone, spending all day Thursday walking through the garages looking at the cars and talking to the teams.

Great stuff and another tick in my personal list of things to do
Old 13 Sep 2011, 12:30 (Ref:2954944)   #35
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Loved the LMS as usual, but the racing is only part of the week-end. Really good company throughout - on post and on the campsite.

Oh, and John Hindhaugh. A man who probably couldn't pronounce 'Politically Correct' and much the better for it. Had the commentary in my ear throughout which was not only extremely informative for flagging purposes but on several occasions had me laughing out loud.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2954964)   #36
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Oh, and John Hindhaugh. A man who probably couldn't pronounce 'Politically Correct' and much the better for it. Had the commentary in my ear throughout which was not only extremely informative for flagging purposes but on several occasions had me laughing out loud.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2954970)   #37
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The DDMC meeting at croft last weekend has to be a highlight for me! Mazda Number 99 kept blowing me kisses on the outlap and in lap and they were all so happy and friendly!
Old 13 Sep 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2955014)   #38
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Loved the LMS as usual, but the racing is only part of the week-end. Really good company throughout - on post and on the campsite.

Old 16 Sep 2011, 09:11 (Ref:2956324)   #39
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looking forward to not marshalling this weekend, instead I'm off to Rockingham in civvies with the family to enjoy the other side of a race meeting. It's been quite a while since I did that!

I'll try to stay out of the way. And no, you can't drag me on post, there'll be enough of you already!
Old 16 Sep 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2956332)   #40
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to CSCC at Silverstone and catching up with a friend driving in Tin Tops who I've not seen in over 25 years.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 11:00 (Ref:2956357)   #41
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Looking forward to CSCC at Silverstone and catching up with a friend driving in Tin Tops who I've not seen in over 25 years.
how did you find out about this, did you notice on a racing website and recognise the name. are you sure its the same person! or does he/she not compete much...
Old 16 Sep 2011, 12:04 (Ref:2956377)   #42
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's only recently started driving, but our parents are still close friends.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 12:13 (Ref:2956380)   #43
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Looking forward to not marshalling this weekend
No, tried various translation sites but I'm still unable to understand the sentence. While grammatically correct it doesn't appear to make sense.

Last Shelsley of the year this week-end. Hopefully the drivers will behave because it's been a bit too exciting on occasions this year. However it's a happy result either way because

a) they'll stay on the black stuff and provide us with some great sport, or
b) they won't and we'll see some more quality marshalling from a team of guys and gals I'm proud to be a part of.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2956578)   #44
Lrawlings
Racer

England
Portsmouth England
Lrawlings should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
Not a bad first day for you then. Some interesting driving in mixed conditions, a walk down the hill to see whats what *AND* a prize in the Marshal's Draw - can't be bad!!

Hope to see you at Gurston again next season...
Was a great day, we both enjoyed it. As for winning the draw, let's just say we'll be back next yr to try again ;-)
Thanks a lot all for the warm welcome!

Last edited by Lrawlings; 16 Sep 2011 at 21:07. Reason: Big fingers small keys for typing!
Old 17 Sep 2011, 20:46 (Ref:2957042)   #45
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No, tried various translation sites but I'm still unable to understand the sentence. While grammatically correct it doesn't appear to make sense.
I've just read it again, and I don't either!

Was lovely to catch up with some folks today at lunchtime (albeit briefly). Watch out though, because I have photos of some of you in action...!

Back again in the morning. Nice to be reminded why I do this orange malarkey
Old 18 Sep 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2957724)   #46
chriskench
Racer

England
henley-on-thames
chriskench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
meeting more people tho the year.doing my flaging dat with jean great day and still have good fun on campsite too
Old 18 Sep 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2957725)   #47
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alas, I have had to come to understand the "non-marshalling" bit this year. Signing on "for insurance" so I can deliver tea/coffee or even help out on post has made it more worthwhile. All you need is a good, fat book! I am the world's worst spectator!
Old 19 Sep 2011, 15:18 (Ref:2958083)   #48
juliet
Rookie

England
Daventry
juliet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Feeling part of a massive family, lots of whom I haven't met yet!
There has never been a time marshalling where i have felt left out or not valued. I have never felt too dumb too fat or too female when marshalling just felt one of the club, if only life in general could take a few hints from this mad disfunctional family!
Old 19 Sep 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2958098)   #49
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliet View Post
Feeling part of a massive family, lots of whom I haven't met yet!
There has never been a time marshalling where i have felt left out or not valued. I have never felt too dumb too fat or too female when marshalling just felt one of the club, if only life in general could take a few hints from this mad disfunctional family!
i swear the experience of being a marshal to anyone looking in from the outside is too good to be true. i wouldnt want to spend my weekends any other way... heres to my next 40 years+ of marshalling, hopefully! if i dont grow senile or bored!
Old 19 Sep 2011, 16:03 (Ref:2958102)   #50
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
This comment in the Goodwood thread...

Rather than repeat it, I'll just link to it...