Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Sep 2011, 13:33 (Ref:2952714)   #26
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
perfectly right in what youre saying, but parc ferme is complete ********, its a novel idea but talking about football on here should be banned!
Sorry to take this back of topic again but as a mod in Parc Ferme I'm a little miffed.

Parc Ferme is our off topic forum. The place for Ten-Tenths members to go to have a chat about non-motorsport stuff, including non-marshalling whinges in the thread in there. Please come along and join in whinging about non-motorsporty things there.

Anyway I have an on topic whinge too...why at some circuits is the bar never open after the racing for us to go and have a drink to wind down at the end of the day?
Old 8 Sep 2011, 13:49 (Ref:2952724)   #27
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK ALLISON View Post
Lucky to have brackets to hold the SC board.
Idea - can all circuits intoduce a "swinging arm" device for Safety Car boards so it can free up a pair of hands ?
I have had at the same time - Safety Car with yellow flag + Black and White flag and commpetitor number ,Drive Thru notice with Black flag and Competitor number!
Better still go with electronic display signage?
depends on the type of swinging arm, if its lockable great, if theyre like silverstone's where they are badly placed thats gets in your way, gets caught in the wind and gets displayed inadvertantly, that you still have to hold anyway...
all circuit staff take note, donington and oulton are the benchmark! for now

i have found that when a fault is reported they come out to inspect it really quickly for obvious reasons the small handful of full time staff still keep our circuits looking good and clean, they might have plenty of time but there is a lot to look after, yes there are a few things that are a little frustrating to look at donington, i love the place but even some of the toilets that have fell into disrepair, there's no reason that cant either have the roof at least pulled down or the whole thing.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 15:32 (Ref:2952766)   #28
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to a bike trackday to watch for a llittle while today - and the official photographer were standing on the grass next to the track, infront of both tyres and armco.

Is it different for trackdays or are these photographers just being *****?
Old 8 Sep 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2952776)   #29
Middle_BBG
Racer

Middle_BBG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle_BBG View Post
Steak and Kidney pies, and the quality or non availability of said items !
The world was a much better place when a decent Cow and offal snack could be easily found !
It's because you can't get a decent cow and offal pie that I take Pork Pies on post...and we all know what happens when you try and eat one of those.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 16:51 (Ref:2952799)   #30
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The bright spark who decides to say, during the last race of a quiet weekend, "Looks like we'll get an early finish today".......
Old 8 Sep 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2952804)   #31
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Here's a real live marshalling whinge: how long should it take circuit staff to remedy a fault with a post - minutes, hours, days, weeks, months?

I ask because I reported the hook to hold the SC/Hazard boards on post 23 at Donington as being broken; they came to look at it, and two weeks later it was still broken. I had to fashion a temporary one from some wire that was hanging round behind the post.

Maybe it was the temporary one that's made it not be rectified...
There may be something in the next edition of The Marshal to help address this situation.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2952818)   #32
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some twit mentioning the "L" word before the midday break. Better than a pork pie IMHO.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2952824)   #33
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My moans

1. HSCC lunch breaks - non-existent! And being labelled as an "occasional whinger" when I raise it with them as an issue! Believe I'm not alone

2. Circuit flags at Donington. Completely unmanageable.

3. Fencing at MSVR circuits that in certain locations prevents proper flagging.

4. Being asked to be a Flobserver. Its either one or t'other.

5. Over the years my distance eyesight has deteriorated nearly as fast as we have been moved further away from the track. Can't see clearly any more. Some flagpoints rendered completely useless and as a Flaggie impossible to engage with the intended recipients of the signals.

6. The loss of Birmingham as a racetrack. Awesome.

7. Silverstone "improvements".

Apart from these it feels like 30 years of flagging has been OK.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2952831)   #34
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza View Post
Sorry to take this back of topic again but as a mod in Parc Ferme I'm a little miffed.

Parc Ferme is our off topic forum. The place for Ten-Tenths members to go to have a chat about non-motorsport stuff, including non-marshalling whinges in the thread in there. Please come along and join in whinging about non-motorsporty things there.

Anyway I have an on topic whinge too...why at some circuits is the bar never open after the racing for us to go and have a drink to wind down at the end of the day?
Thank goodness for some female input -- I do like a girl who moans
Old 8 Sep 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2952836)   #35
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Harding View Post
Old 8 Sep 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2952843)   #36
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
finding that there is no pies left at lunchtime and having to make do with a butty, happened at BTCC last saturday, thankfully GF had cooked a lovely meal by the time i got back to the campsite after racing
Old 8 Sep 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2952869)   #37
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate93 View Post
Went to a bike trackday to watch for a llittle while today - and the official photographer were standing on the grass next to the track, infront of both tyres and armco.

Is it different for trackdays or are these photographers just being *****?
just wait until you see karting track photographers, ive noticed many a time they dont just stand in a dangerous position either on a straight coming from a sweeping corner or the outside of a crash hotspot, to get the "perfect shot" they lie or crouch down as well! its got to be seen to be believed...
Old 8 Sep 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2952873)   #38
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flagman View Post
My moans

2. Circuit flags at Donington. Completely unmanageable.
yes agreed, they get everything else right with the flags, big huge things, poles are light as owt and theyre secured well, but the choice of cloth? i just sometimes soak the end a little so theyre nicely weighted, then they dont blow in the wind as much, they give me a bit of a whipping though!
Old 8 Sep 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2952923)   #39
vulcan607
Rookie

vulcan607 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
depends on the type of swinging arm, if its lockable great, if theyre like silverstone's where they are badly placed thats gets in your way, gets caught in the wind and gets displayed inadvertantly, that you still have to hold anyway...
all circuit staff take note, donington and oulton are the benchmark! for now

i have found that when a fault is reported they come out to inspect it really quickly for obvious reasons the small handful of full time staff still keep our circuits looking good and clean, they might have plenty of time but there is a lot to look after, yes there are a few things that are a little frustrating to look at donington, i love the place but even some of the toilets that have fell into disrepair, there's no reason that cant either have the roof at least pulled down or the whole thing.
Don't Donington and Oulton use different systems?
Oulton has hand held SC boards and Donington looked to have them mounted on the posts?
Old 8 Sep 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2952950)   #40
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Steady on there Pete!!!

Bladders....
Old 9 Sep 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2953283)   #41
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan607 View Post
Don't Donington and Oulton use different systems?
Oulton has hand held SC boards and Donington looked to have them mounted on the posts?
i worded that badly, donington do have a good system of post mounted boards, what i meant to say is oulton and donington have the best posts in the uk i think, ive got a small amount circuits on my to do list kirkistown, lydden goodwood and combe, i think ill miss combe out though...
Old 9 Sep 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2953328)   #42
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BCCC round that should have been at Swynnerton next weekend has been shifted to South wales, moveing it out of my time/budget envolope, this is very annoying indeed.

Even more annoying than Vettel still winning......
Old 10 Sep 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2953609)   #43
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jobsworth security at Silverstone this weekend......
Old 10 Sep 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2953618)   #44
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jobsworth security at any circuit...

Excessive amounts of free practice is my biggest bugbear. No race should have a practice session(s) that are longer than the likely race time.
Old 10 Sep 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2953619)   #45
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
Jobsworth security at Silverstone this weekend......
always where you don't want them and never where you do

I find the regular team are usually pretty good, but the temps suffer from being clueless and badly briefed - marshals' badges are not put on their idiots guide to passes, so they block us. One idiot refused a liveried fire tender access to it's own garage the other week.

oh, and while were at it, can we have the fried eggs back on the menu - poached would be fine if they weren't cold even if just brought out of the kitchen
Old 11 Sep 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2954024)   #46
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why do they (The Clerks?) refuse to take the word of an examining observer who reports (eg) fuel spilling from a car and ask the chief flag marshal (On a straight) for his opinion?
Old 11 Sep 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2954032)   #47
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
Why do they (The Clerks?) refuse to take the word of an examining observer who reports (eg) fuel spilling from a car and ask the chief flag marshal (On a straight) for his opinion?
Because the call that needs to be made is not just whether it IS spilling fuel but whether the car should be brought in with all the consequences of that action.

Ideally it would be a scrutineer's decision but there isn't always a duty scrut on pit wall.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2954042)   #48
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Because the call that needs to be made is not just whether it IS spilling fuel but whether the car should be brought in with all the consequences of that action.

Ideally it would be a scrutineer's decision but there isn't always a duty scrut on pit wall.
And is the Ch Flag Marshal in a better position to do this?

(Example - "Control to Ch Flag.......we've had reports that car X is leaking fuel, can you have a look next time it comes past?"

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 11 Sep 2011 at 17:57. Reason: Trigger Happy
Old 11 Sep 2011, 18:28 (Ref:2954055)   #49
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post

Pit walls are usually on straights, scrutineers would be better of on corners!!
Old 11 Sep 2011, 19:19 (Ref:2954066)   #50
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
And is the Ch Flag Marshal in a better position to do this?

(Example - "Control to Ch Flag.......we've had reports that car X is leaking fuel, can you have a look next time it comes past?"
Someone has to make the decision about whether the car should be pulled in or left to continue. Ideally that's a scrut, in their absence it is often another senior official.

Call a car in for no safety reason and you've ruined someone's qualifying, race and perhaps championship, leave it out for it to cause an incident that injures someone and you have to explain why.

I's not about whether it's leaking, it's about whether it needs to be called in or if it can deemed safe to continue.