Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Sep 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2954609)   #51
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flagman View Post
2. Circuit flags at Donington. Completely unmanageable.
I have a permanently and often painfully stretched tendon in my right thumb courtesy of flagging at Donington on a wet day.

My moans:

1) Over-ambitious, over-long programmes with poor breaks.
2) Series for self-interest groups, money making promotors instead of for the good of the sport. Usually involving too few cars and three times as much track time as justified.
3) Days which manage to combine both of the above.
4) Actually, I'm not going in to details about that one...
Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2954674)   #52
Andy Johns
Racer

England
Salisbury
Andy Johns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Pit walls are usually on straights, scrutineers would be better of on corners!!
They used to put a scrute on Post 6 at Brands so he could see a car going round Druids, but they seem to have stopped that now.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 21:06 (Ref:2954705)   #53
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The astroturf at Silverstone. Why is it there? What is it supposed to do?
At the weekend, a lot of it was ripped up by the car and dragged across the track. This became an embarrassment and could have been dangerous. It might be pretty, but it's not clever. Get rid of it.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 07:24 (Ref:2954833)   #54
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My moan: Why is it that the Moaning Thread seems to always last longer than the Happy Thread? Ah, yes... 'cos its the internet, and bad news is always more interesting.

As for the astroturf, isn't it there to prevent drivers going to far outside the confines of the circuit? In the "good 'ol days", there would have been gravel there, but with these tarmac run-offs, they need something to deter running wide.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 08:11 (Ref:2954856)   #55
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
In the "good 'ol days", there would have been gravel there, but with these tarmac run-offs, they need something to deter running wide.
Gravel traps are for wimps - bring back ditches full of stagnant water, earth banks, sleeper walls and maybe catch fencing.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:02 (Ref:2954876)   #56
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
As for the astroturf, isn't it there to prevent drivers going to far outside the confines of the circuit?
How is a strip of astroturf going to achieve that??!!
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:12 (Ref:2954882)   #57
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe because it feels different under the wheels, so they know they're going offline?

Also on Mark and Anita's points. I understand both of these as the last thing you want to do is ruin someone's session unnecessarily, but why ask someone on a straight to look at it? Liquids escaping and doors opening etc often happen on corners, how can someone on a straight determine if it is safe or not???
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2954890)   #58
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
How is a strip of astroturf going to achieve that??!!
fix it down with those strips of spikes used for carpets at home

how about replacing it with gloss paint?

bottom line is that the "4 wheels off" surface is still too attractive as an alternative to staying on the black stuff.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2954897)   #59
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
The astroturf at Silverstone. Why is it there? What is it supposed to do?
At the weekend, a lot of it was ripped up by the car and dragged across the track. This became an embarrassment and could have been dangerous. It might be pretty, but it's not clever. Get rid of it.
its not too bad when its dry but all drivers must have quickly learned about how bad the stuff is when wet! imagine if you have gravel right up to rumble strips, we all know rumble strips are at the edge of each corner to give the cars room to get out the corners, they run past them sometimes, i know i wouldnt like gravel getting on the track all the time, this is a good alternative but i suppose its bad though because its a wider piece of track some of the time its the accepted line out of corners, to touch the astroturf delibrately. what might be better is the sausages next to the rumble strips no matter what corner it is... inside, chicane, outside, fast, slow corners
Old 13 Sep 2011, 10:19 (Ref:2954910)   #60
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Pit walls are usually on straights, scrutineers would be better of on corners!!
2CV on the old Anglesey circuit; every time it went round a bend one of the front wheels was tilting one way or the other, depending on the direction of the bend. Several posts reported it, so a scrute was summoned to the pit wall to give his opinion. "I can see nothing wrong with that car" was his pronouncement. A couple of laps later: "Control, Post 4: you may be interested to know that the wheel's just fallen off that car".
Old 13 Sep 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2955119)   #61
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having to find a 'man' because the circuit in their wisdom have put the Safety Car boards in a cupboard in the gents toilet.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2955553)   #62
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
Having to find a 'man' because the circuit in their wisdom have put the Safety Car boards in a cupboard in the gents toilet.
Your problem being?

Earlier this year at a meeting at Donington on the Loop, I (eventually) realised that the Gents was unlocked, even though the Ladies wasn't. So at the end of one session I invaded the Gents (it was empty when I went in). Embarrassingly, it was rather full when I left so I just put my head down and strode out.

Come to think of it, that probably constitutes a "moan" as well.

PJ
Old 15 Sep 2011, 20:14 (Ref:2956086)   #63
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJuliet View Post
So at the end of one session I invaded the Gents (it was empty when I went in). Embarrassingly, it was rather full when I left so I just put my head down and strode out.

PJ
Hope you flushed it away then!

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 16 Sep 2011, 08:01 (Ref:2956298)   #64
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I moan that the moaning thread is indeed appearing to be permanent, but the happy thread seems to have vanished?
Old 16 Sep 2011, 09:12 (Ref:2956325)   #65
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Can I moan that the moaning thread is indeed appearing to be permanent, but the happy thread seems to have vanished?
No, you can't.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 11:10 (Ref:2956359)   #66
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJuliet View Post
Your problem being?

Earlier this year at a meeting at Donington on the Loop, I (eventually) realised that the Gents was unlocked, even though the Ladies wasn't. So at the end of one session I invaded the Gents (it was empty when I went in). Embarrassingly, it was rather full when I left so I just put my head down and strode out.

Come to think of it, that probably constitutes a "moan" as well.

PJ
yes it happens a lot in motorsport events. be outrage if that happened at a football stadium. people must think b*****ks to it these people pee behind a bush all the time in forests theyll manage... not on. i feel for people who really need to use the disabled toilets locked pretty much all the time with presumably over abuse in some places. no "radar" key fitted, just properly locked, much harder for them to ask for assistance, shouldnt happen in 21st century britain. i can see both sides of the argument, a lot of ably bodied people use them though.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2956383)   #67
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At a Grand Prix many, many years ago the queue for the Ladies was huge before the start of the race when I wanted to "prepare" for 1.5 hours on the bank. In previous years the ladies had been happy for this vision in orange to jump the queue - but not this time. So I just went into next door, announced my intention, did the business and vacated. Sometimes a girl just has to have no shame!

Also at Silverstone, being told I couldn't use the racing school loos (you might upset the punters) was a bit odd. Never mind, the mechanics let me use theirs - so long as I whistled! (Sorry - latter moan has turned into good. Must be the people involved.)
Old 16 Sep 2011, 12:31 (Ref:2956386)   #68
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Never mind, the mechanics let me use theirs - so long as I whistled! (Sorry - latter moan has turned into good.)
You have a high opinon of your whistling, then?
Old 16 Sep 2011, 15:46 (Ref:2956456)   #69
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
You have a high opinon of your whistling, then?
Woolley, I can't hold a tune full stop - singing, whistling, humming. I think that's how they knew it was me! In terms of "high" opinion - how do you know what I may or may not have been doing in there?
Old 16 Sep 2011, 15:50 (Ref:2956457)   #70
NewYankee01
Veteran

sorry greem, ive suddenly made your decent thread turn into a toilets discussion...
Old 16 Sep 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2956469)   #71
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Aren't the facilities (or lack of) one of the main gripes at any circuit? I'd say this thread has reached its natural level.........

Time for someone to drag it up a level or three.......
Old 18 Sep 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2957497)   #72
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Aren't the facilities (or lack of) one of the main gripes at any circuit? I'd say this thread has reached its natural level.........

Time for someone to drag it up a level or three.......
agreed... i love the way donington is in a good way, for what it takes they couldnt really care about the state of some of the knackered buildings and huts, theyd rather let the wtcc and other high prestige crowds see caved in roofs and do nothing about it, the size of the campsite, good in a way, i suppose it gets everyone talking to each other, and unfortunately fighting , the good thing is pretty much all the facilities are there, unlike some bigger outfits...
Old 18 Sep 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2957804)   #73
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's been a good bit of work in recent months to clear "caved in roofs" and such like. The site was far, far worse a year ago. Unlike some operators the owners don't have a bottomless money pit, so there's a definite priority list. I don't believe toilets or knackered outbuildings feature highly on the good and bad points of an FIA grade 2 license so they've spent the money on re-obtaining that and the corresponding bike certification.

If you really do believe that circuit operators are leaving crap facilities out of malice then write to them. Or, of course, you already spoke to your post chief or chief marshal on the day to raise your concerns, didn't you...?
Old 19 Sep 2011, 03:23 (Ref:2957842)   #74
AMP Marshal
Racer

Canada
Nova Scotia
AMP Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uninformed / new security peoples at this years Canadian GP. We show up at corner 11, downstream from the hairpin on Friday, all dressed up in our white finery and the closeset security person asks us " are you folks going to be here all day "
Old 19 Sep 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2957934)   #75
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
There's been a good bit of work in recent months to clear "caved in roofs" and such like. The site was far, far worse a year ago. Unlike some operators the owners don't have a bottomless money pit, so there's a definite priority list. I don't believe toilets or knackered outbuildings feature highly on the good and bad points of an FIA grade 2 license so they've spent the money on re-obtaining that and the corresponding bike certification.

If you really do believe that circuit operators are leaving crap facilities out of malice then write to them. Or, of course, you already spoke to your post chief or chief marshal on the day to raise your concerns, didn't you...?
why officially complain to a pc or cm when its probably already been done, and itll make me look a t**t...
it may not feature high on their list but part B ecc's public reason to cast doubt over the allocation of the british gp featured toilets... a few years ago at silverstone they were s***e improved now, doningtons arent too bad theres plenty of them so if he can complain about something like that, plenty of other promoters can use that against circuits when the contract starts to end...

i agreed donington has come a long way, but what im saying im a builder itd take me less than half a day to make each one look decent, temporarily block the door off so they cant see inside, take the whole roof off, put a temporary roof up with the old wood and plenty of big plastic sheeting so its relatively water tight.... dispose of the rest of the wood until they get round to knocking the whole thing down. i dont know why they didnt put a temp roof on either means theyre replacing the roof and the stuff inside is going to need a whole load of tlc, knocking it down or getting rid of the sinks and toilets which i highly doubt. there's only 1 or 2 like that but now its been left like that they may as well leave it for the offseason... except maybe tens of thousands of spectators who may have already seen them.