Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Oct 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2969759)   #26
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Email received this morning:

Sorry for the delay in sending information been a busy couple of weeks. Thank you for volunteering to Marshal at the BTCC meeting at Silverstone on the 15th & 16th October.

Sign on will be in the paddock bar (north end of the circuit), at the times below – if you are not attending both days please take note of the time at applies to you.
Saturday - between 7.30 and 8.15am on post 8.25am
Sunday - between 7.30 and 8.15am on post 8.25am

Free bottles of water will be available at sign on please pick up a bottle, but do not take it with you to the till in the paddock cafe as you may be charged for it. All marshals are entitled to a 10% discount on food in the paddock diner – to get you discount please show either the Silverstone Marshals pass or MSA card, the discount will not be automatic even if you are in overalls you must show the marshals cards.

There will be social drinks in the paddock bar on Saturday night once racing has finished until 8pm. First drink is on Silverstone and the relevant voucher will be given out at sign on Saturday morning.

Camping is available at Copse Outside. Limited Power hooks up are available on a first come first served basis. If you can no longer make this meeting please let me know as soon as possible.

Link to timetable below
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26117606/BTC...erstone_v5.pdf
Old 12 Oct 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2969765)   #27
Power Bulge
Racer

England
Rochdale
Power Bulge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just seen the 5 day forecast - cloudy with sunny intervals, light winds and the chance of an occasional punch up
Old 12 Oct 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2970027)   #28
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Decided to chicken out of camping this weekend, but still looking forward to this weekend
Old 12 Oct 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2970111)   #29
welche2
Racer

United Kingdom
swadlincote
welche2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
barc instrutions are for sunday 8am sign on on post at 9am.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2970143)   #30
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by welche2 View Post
barc instrutions are for sunday 8am sign on on post at 9am.
Must be to let the Silverstone marshals get to post, tidy up, put the kettle on, etc. etc.

Old 12 Oct 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2970149)   #31
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
Must be to let the Silverstone marshals get to post, tidy up, put the kettle on, etc. etc.

Old 13 Oct 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2970453)   #32
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And here's the update3:

"The good news is the BTCC timetable on Sunday doesn’t start until 9.30am, so we can all have a bit of a lay in and sign on times will change to 7.45am to 8.40am on post time 9am

Saturday sign on times remain the same"
Old 14 Oct 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2971082)   #33
f1madmatt
Racer

England
Leicester
f1madmatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm there on sunday , gotta feeling it's gonna end with Plato & Neal in a gravel trap together somewhere .
Old 14 Oct 2011, 13:19 (Ref:2971094)   #34
LandieLad
Racer

Japan
Tokyo
LandieLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Having a kettle on post, that is what I call civilised Hope the PC serves it in bone china cups
Old 14 Oct 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2971298)   #35
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Quote:

You wish....
Old 16 Oct 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2972112)   #36
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Well had a good weekend on the pit straight. Plenty of things to keep us busy. Weather was good though cold in the morning. The grid girls looked nice always
Old 16 Oct 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2972131)   #37
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are Silverstone Marshals equipped with whistles like some other circuits? If not, it might be worth making it a reccomendation after one nearly shocking incident came in BTCC race two.

After the BMW spun and was collected by the Focus, the Safety Car came out whilst Rob Collard and Martin Byford made stops. I don't know if the TV coverage picked it up, but a group of marshals were on track to pick up the debris, Collard came round Woodcote trying to catch up the pack and nearly ploughed into two marshals separately. Then approx 20secs later, Byford did the same. I think everyone in the stands had their hearts in their mouths at those moments.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 21:36 (Ref:2972146)   #38
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marshals are only equipped with whistles if they choose to purchase one themselves. Whilst a lot of post chiefs and some IO's will have them, not all do.

Also at a meeting such as the BTCC the majority of the marshals aren't those who are actually based at the circuit...they will be with the travelling circus that is the BTCC.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2972149)   #39
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Are Silverstone Marshals equipped with whistles like some other circuits? If not, it might be worth making it a reccomendation after one nearly shocking incident came in BTCC race two.

After the BMW spun and was collected by the Focus, the Safety Car came out whilst Rob Collard and Martin Byford made stops. I don't know if the TV coverage picked it up, but a group of marshals were on track to pick up the debris, Collard came round Woodcote trying to catch up the pack and nearly ploughed into two marshals separately. Then approx 20secs later, Byford did the same. I think everyone in the stands had their hearts in their mouths at those moments.
that bit wasn't seen on Tv, but the 2 Marshals were local circuit marshals (bobs).
one i believe was the i/o on the clean up, you have to ask who he delegated his duties to, to be the spotter ?
But regardless of who was out there, drivers should be reported for instances like this
Old 16 Oct 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2972155)   #40
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Quote:

I noticed that too but I don't think you can blame that on the Silverstone marshals though for not having whistles. There was a whole mix of marshals from all over this weekend at silverstone. However you could blame it on Collard for driving too quickly. He should have taken notice on the yellow flags and the fact the safety car was out!.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2972198)   #41
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seem to remember reporting Mr Collard many years ago twice on the same day for excessive speed under red flags. Clearly he needs a lesson.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 00:04 (Ref:2972310)   #42
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YELLOW FLAG

1. No overtaking.
2. A stationary yellow flag tells a driver to slow sufficiently to ensure full control of the car is maintained.
3. A waved yellow flag means slow down considerably, be prepared to take evasive action and stop, if necessary.
* A waved yellow flag is displayed at the marshals’ post immediately before an incident if the track is obstructed or there are marshals working trackside.
* The preceding post will display a stationary yellow, or even an additional waved flag if the incident is very serious.
* The post following the incident will display a green flag to show the hazard and ban on overtaking is past.
4. No overtaking is allowed between the stationary yellow and the green flag. Any infringements should be reported to your observer, who will need to know:
* the numbers of both cars involved
* where the overtaking occurred
* who overtook who - and on which side
* the time it happened.

Yellow flags are also shown when a Pace or Safety Car is controlling the race while a serious incident is dealt with.

International Yellow Flag Regulations

International regulations allow double waved yellows when the track is wholly or partially blocked, but FIA regulations insist yellow flags should only be displayed at the post immediately ahead of the incident and not at the preceding post - unless the Clerk of the Course has decided there is a post with a particular visibility problem and drivers have been informed the preceding post will also display the same flag signal.

The FIA regulations - used during F1 and GT races state the Yellow Flag should be:
· stationary if the car is off the track, even if marshals are working on it.
· waved if there is a hazard on the track
· double waved if the track is wholly or partially blocked

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 17 Oct 2011 at 00:32.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2972551)   #43
juliet
Rookie

England
Daventry
juliet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was watching from the stands this weekend rather than my usual trackside position. The bumper cars certianly lived up to their reputation but i thought overall the ginnettas were quite well behaved!

Saw the incident on the straight with collard and byford, i think multiple things contributed, someone should have been "spotting". I think double yellows should have been displayed at that post and it didnt appear to be from where i was (although i was kind of looking round the corner so i may be wrong) and both cars were going too fast for a safety car sitation.

My heart stopped when i saw what what happening, a reminder of how dangerous our hobby can be.

overall a cracking weekend tho, good close racing and good marshalling, the guy who vaulted the fence at luffield to grab a piece of bumper / splitter got one hell of a cheer even if we did all think he was going face first on the way back well done for staying upright!

Lets hope next season provides such close racing and in the ginettas race as clean racing!
Old 17 Oct 2011, 10:54 (Ref:2972568)   #44
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
There's a note of apology from Shaun Hollamby on behalf of his team on the Touring Cars forum.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2972695)   #45
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't the incident happen on the final lap of the SC deployment? IIRC from where I was at Luffield, Byford was half a lap down and Titchmarsh said the SC was coming in that lap, maybe he was told about that and assumed the marshals had finished their work so was trying to catch up?
Old 17 Oct 2011, 15:41 (Ref:2972703)   #46
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

No, it is so you can get to post early and have a brew ready for us when we get there. LOL

Hope your keeping well.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2972706)   #47
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaro Zukovsky View Post
Didn't the incident happen on the final lap of the SC deployment? IIRC from where I was at Luffield, Byford was half a lap down and Titchmarsh said the SC was coming in that lap, maybe he was told about that and assumed the marshals had finished their work so was trying to catch up?
Still no excuse for excessive speed in a dangerous situation. Should not assume anything till the green flag was shown at the startline.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2972775)   #48
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Are Silverstone Marshals equipped with whistles like some other circuits?
I was on Luffield Centre, and I heard whistles coming from that direction as the cars approached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel View Post
But regardless of who was out there, drivers should be reported for instances like this
It appears that the teams failed to pass on messages to the drivers, regarding marshals working on circuit. Appropriate action was taken against the teams concerned, and apologies issued.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 22:27 (Ref:2972970)   #49
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
It appears that the teams failed to pass on messages to the drivers, regarding marshals working on circuit.
That's why we show flags, surely? Why do the teams need to pass on messages? The drivers don't need to be reminded to turn right at Copse so they should be capable of obeying yellow+SC and assuming that there might well be marshals on circuit.

Apology is nice, but is only of value if the offence is not repeated.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 07:14 (Ref:2973117)   #50
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
That's why we show flags, surely? Why do the teams need to pass on messages? The drivers don't need to be reminded to turn right at Copse so they should be capable of obeying yellow+SC and assuming that there might well be marshals on circuit.

Apology is nice, but is only of value if the offence is not repeated.
Looks like a good indication of the folly of having to wave a yellow flag at every post while the SC car is out - you have nothing left to indicate marshals still working on the track.